One step closer to 540 build

-

71Demon528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We are finally getting close to my 540 being ready for assembly. After the block and heads were at machine shop over the winter, the block main housing bore was successfully repaired along with opened up to 440 mains. The block was then square decked and finish honed with torque plates. The heads needed nipped 7 thou from the damage when two pistons hit them from the crank breaking in two pieces. A valve job was also completed.

Heads came in at 66cc combustion chamber after the cut. They’re getting down there in CC which only benefits us for compression and allows us to keep a much smaller dome on the piston to reach target compression. Tim poured a mold of the combustion chamber and sent it to diamond pistons so they can build the piston perfectly. Well the pistons showed up in 7 weeks just like diamond said they would and they were indeed perfect. 14.8:1 compression with just enough dome to make up for the valve relief cuts (0cc effective dome). Day or two later, Tim took all my stuff down to the machine shop to have it balanced. After it’s balanced and we get some bearing clearance numbers, hoping to have it done this season. However, I know better to not count my chickens before they hatch. I’m sure we will encounter some hold ups along the way. I’m not an engine builder (although I aspire to be one day lol) I certainly know that every engine Tim builds and teaches me, there are always hold ups. Mine I’m sure will be no different. But wishful thinking, it’s early enough in the season, we may possibly have this thing done by the fall time. If not, and it sits all winter, oh well. I’ll just save my money and have it put on the dyno so we can get some data and tune it.

After the weekend we had with my
Dads roadrunner, I decided to finally pull the trigger on something I’ve long wanted. An APD dominator. Had a long convo with Chris at APD and he was extremely helpful, patient, intelligent, and did not try to sell me a damn thing. I truly called just to try to get some info on what he would build for my combo, along with some questions about my dads carb and friends carb. I was so happy with the convo we had that I called him back with a credit card number. 6-7 weeks I’ll have a new APD dominator that we will probably try on one or two cars in our team before it ever sees my engine, just because that’s what we do.

New molnar crank 4.250 stroke
New molnar rods 6.700
Diamond pistons 14.8:1 compression
New PSI valve springs
New Manley valves
Decided to go with a new fluidampr. Going to put the ATI on the shelf and eventually list it for sale.
Same roller cam
Same isky lifters
Same jesel rockers 1.6 ratio
Same jesel belt drive
Same milodon oil pan

Running the same converter and trans with the same rear gear and tire size

It’s going go be interesting going from my 528 engine to this 540 with mainly only changing the stroke of the crankshaft along with the compression by a couple points. As long as it’s consistent and runs as fast as the 528 I’ll be happy. Although I’m sure it will be faster, I try not to set my expectation to high so I’m not disappointed.

B21F98AC-EE41-41F5-B7B4-6642FC3446E9.jpeg

BA3B4374-5AB8-4CC4-92DA-F24A1063DB98.jpeg

B85F115C-8484-40DD-B8CC-6D2ECA8C0CD1.jpeg

Beautiful pistons. Can’t wait to see you back out. Gene took second at Dragway 42 (bottom row). Another engine built by Tim that flys and yes guys it’s NA.

IMG_3236.jpeg

We are finally getting close to my 540 being ready for assembly. After the block and heads were at machine shop over the winter, the block main housing bore was successfully repaired along with opened up to 440 mains. The block was then square decked and finish honed with torque plates. The heads needed nipped 7 thou from the damage when two pistons hit them from the crank breaking in two pieces. A valve job was also completed.

Heads came in at 66cc combustion chamber after the cut. They’re getting down there in CC which only benefits us for compression and allows us to keep a much smaller dome on the piston to reach target compression. Tim poured a mold of the combustion chamber and sent it to diamond pistons so they can build the piston perfectly. Well the pistons showed up in 7 weeks just like diamond said they would and they were indeed perfect. 14.8:1 compression with just enough dome to make up for the valve relief cuts (0cc effective dome). Day or two later, Tim took all my stuff down to the machine shop to have it balanced. After it’s balanced and we get some bearing clearance numbers, hoping to have it done this season. However, I know better to not count my chickens before they hatch. I’m sure we will encounter some hold ups along the way. I’m not an engine builder (although I aspire to be one day lol) I certainly know that every engine Tim builds and teaches me, there are always hold ups. Mine I’m sure will be no different. But wishful thinking, it’s early enough in the season, we may possibly have this thing done by the fall time. If not, and it sits all winter, oh well. I’ll just save my money and have it put on the dyno so we can get some data and tune it.

Dads roadrunner, I decided to finally pull the trigger on something I’ve long wanted. An APD dominator. Had a long convo with Chris at APD and he was extremely helpful, patient, intelligent, and did not try to sell me a damn thing. I truly called just to try to get some info on what he would build for my combo, along with some questions about my dads carb and friends carb. I was so happy with the convo we had that I called him back with a credit card number. 6-7 weeks I’ll have a new APD dominator that we will probably try on one or two cars in our team before it ever sees my engine, just because that’s what we do.

New molnar rods 6.700
New PSI valve springs
New Manley valves
Decided to go with a new fluidampr. Going to put the ATI on the shelf and eventually list it for sale.
Same roller cam
Same isky lifters
Same jesel belt drive
Same milodon oil pan

It’s going go be interesting going from my 528 engine to this 540 with mainly only changing the stroke of the crankshaft along with the compression by a couple points. As long as it’s consistent and runs as fast as the 528 I’ll be happy. Although I’m sure it will be faster, I try not to set my expectation to high so I’m not disappointed.

View attachment 1716262646

View attachment 1716262647

View attachment 1716262648
Good to see it's coming together and it'll be very good coming from Tim. Conversely, I've seen too many fluiddampers fail to be comfortable using them especially if an ATI is available. It's good to hear I'm not one of a few that enjoy the successes of a network of people around you when your own program is sidelined for any number of reasons. You have a great team.

Good to see it's coming together and it'll be very good coming from Tim. Conversely, I've seen too many fluiddampers fail to be comfortable using them especially if an ATI is available. It's good to hear I'm not one of a few that enjoy the successes of a network of people around you when your own program is sidelined for any number of reasons. You have a great team.

Thanks Sean! I agree and can’t be more thankful for my team keeping me going after things go south. Wow I’ve never heard of the fluidampr being a problem. I sure hope I don’t have any issue. It’s actually all that Tim uses believe it or not. The ATI I like I just hate getting it rebuilt all the time when the engine gets overhauled.

Thanks Sean! I agree and can’t be more thankful for my team keeping me going after things go south. Wow I’ve never heard of the fluidampr being a problem. I sure hope I don’t have any issue. It’s actually all that Tim uses believe it or not. The ATI I like I just hate getting it rebuilt all the time when the engine gets overhauled.
NASCAR teams go XXXmiles in worse conditions without rebuilding. If there's a way to slip it on without Tim knowing I'd do it... Maybe you could tell him the pulley alignment was better with the ATI? But he's probably privy to reading on these sites LOL. If that ring doesn't float and find neutral/center for any number of reasons...it'll be OUT of balance.

NASCAR teams go XXXmiles in worse conditions without rebuilding. If there's a way to slip it on without Tim knowing I'd do it... Maybe you could tell him the pulley alignment was better with the ATI? But he's probably privy to reading on these sites LOL. If that ring doesn't float and find neutral/center for any number of reasons...it'll be OUT of balance.

LOL! Ya he already has the alignment of the pulleys figured out so I can’t go with that excuse haha. He just isn’t a fan of the rubber band style damper, although it’s very popular. I have ran it forever with no issues. He honestly told me to just get it rebuilt since the crank broke and we can re use, but I ultimately decided to go with the fluidampr, just because of how it’s been explained to me how the dampening of the harmonics works with a viscious damper. I certainly appreciate the insight though. It’s not too late to change my mind lol

Damn! If I wasn’t already grown up, I’d want to grow up to be just like you! lol

Those pistons are a work of art. nice, I wouldn't want to get any carbon on them. lol
It looks like you put together some premium parts for a killer build.

Any update on the Valiant making it back to the track?

Sounds like a great build, are you running a stock block? what kind of HP you think it will make?

Thank you. I’m using an Indy aluminum low deck block. HP wise I would take a rough guess at somewhere between 850-890 range. My 528 did pretty well but only using Wallace calculator for HP numbers because I never put it on the Dyno. If this engine takes me into winter I’ll likely save money and get it dynod.

Damn! If I wasn’t already grown up, I’d want to grow up to be just like you! lol

Lol. Well Bill, I don’t have much, but I certainly spend most of my money on the race car haha. I was ruined growing up and it’s consumed me ever since

Those pistons are a work of art. nice, I wouldn't want to get any carbon on them. lol
It looks like you put together some premium parts for a killer build.

Thank you. We certainly try to put the best we can afford into our program, especially the engines.

Any update on the Valiant making it back to the track?
I've decided to try getting some additional mods done like rear wing, installing the lexan rear winder/trim etc. Lost a spiritual teacher on the 6th and have been putting together the memorial etc for the family (besides ordinary life stuff).

I've decided to try getting some additional mods done like rear wing, installing the lexan rear winder/trim etc. Lost a spiritual teacher on the 6th and have been putting together the memorial etc for the family (besides ordinary life stuff).

Again, sorry for your loss. I remember you saying you had stuff going on when we last spoke so just figure I’d ask. I sure hope you get through this tough time

New molnar rods 6.700
New PSI valve springs
New Manley valves
Same roller cam
Same isky lifters
Same jesel belt drive
Same milodon oil pan

View attachment 1716262646

View attachment 1716262647

View attachment 1716262648
I had always been a Pro Systems guy. But the last alcohol carb and pump I purchased from Pro Systems had lots of issues. This last carb I switched to the APD. It's a work of art. Flawless from ootb. I will be with APD from now on, as long as there products are as good as this first one.

I had always been a Pro Systems guy. But the last alcohol carb and pump I purchased from Pro Systems had lots of issues. This last carb I switched to the APD. It's a work of art. Flawless from ootb. I will be with APD from now on, as long as there products are as good as this first one.

Ya they are top notch OOTB. I agree. I have been running same carb for years which is an AED. Not that I’m unhappy with it, but I feel APD building me a carb for my new engine will not only potentially make more power but mainly be more consistent.

-
Back