Ontario Canada restoration shops.

-

Vicsgarage

Reaction score
Any members from Ontario use any shops recently for restorations? Mainly looking for just some paint and metal work. I've mostly stripped my car and am getting close to that stage. I'll be finishing rest of project.

I've looked at a few in the GTA. BOOTHILL auto is great. But their shop rate is next level at $130 an hour.

Hot Rod Building and Custom Car Building by Boot Hill Automotive

I'm considering Southern Ontario auto restore. Some of their build threads look good and I dont think mine will be as bad as many. Not a lot of Mopar work though. Their rates aren't nearly as rich. $75 paint and body, $85 Mechanical and $95 for welding an fab work.

Southern Ontario Auto Restore

Curious what others have used and their experiences.

Last edited:
What’s your budget and post pics of your car for peeps to give their input. “Some paint and metal work” is quite vague. Oh, and how quickly do you want to get the work done?

Cheap (low cost), fast (not in the shop for long) and reliable (good job, short cuts not taken). You can only ever have two of the three; which two will you choose?

"Body by Biggs" in Warminster's flat rate is $65/man hour + materials. "Metal work and paint", as noted above, is pretty vague.. and after that comes body work, prep and paint. George and his crew do beautiful work, but you had better have a personal connection to the car before you drop that $100K+. Mine coming home after a full year in their shop. This was my Father's car and mine since I was 17 back in '79! Married in the car in '82..
beeresto2016bodyshop 1130.JPG
beerestoration2017 858.JPG
beedrivemay212020 011.JPG

"Body by Biggs" in Warminster's flat rate is $65/man hour + materials. "Metal work and paint", as noted above, is pretty vague.. and after that comes body work, prep and paint. George and his crew do beautiful work, but you had better have a personal connection to the car before you drop that $100K+. Mine coming home after a full year in their shop. This was my Father's car and mine since I was 17 back in '79! Married in the car in '82..
View attachment 1715658518 View attachment 1715658523View attachment 1715658530

Well I didn't get to indepth because I figured it didn't matter. Until it's blasted you never know anyways.

This is the first car I bought when I was 18-19 years old. I've had it now for 18-19 years or so. Get into it on my YouTube channel "Vic's Garage" and my IG page for it "Vics.garage" So while I know it's not a rare one it's got a bit of sentimental meaning.

I'm going to assume worst case it needs a front floor section. Previous owner did a bad repair job there. Mostly located on driver side. Also did a poor job convertering from column shift to floor. QAlso I found a section behind the fende / infront of the door that was poorly patched again.

All my fenders, panels, trunk, rear seats etc look good. (Again until sanded who knows).

Given where all the damage is leads me to believe it may of been hit on front drivers side but not sure.

I've stripped the car mostly now. I plan to reassemble, do wiring, install the drive train etc. So it's metal work and paint only.

I've seen people say anywhere from 300-600 hours for a resto plus parts.

I'm working with the lower number given that I've stripped it and plan to take over again after receiving it back from the body work.

At $65 an hour thats pretty reasonable imo. But given several are over $100 its a bit of a shock to see that price.

How long ago did you do yours? What was the scope of the work and how many man hours? Was it a full resto, as in drove it in and drove it out?

Do you have their email? I was on their site and don't see it.

IMG_20201228_042744.jpg

IMG_20201228_042718.jpg

IMG_20201228_042749.jpg

IMG_20201228_042702.jpg

IMG_20201228_042737.jpg

IMG_20201228_042830.jpg

George picked up my stripped to the last bolt shell, other than he wanted the door glass left in to see fitment before removal and I got my empty shell back. I rebuilt/restored EVERY part on the car myself other than the engine (that still runs like a watch after a rebuild way back in '88!). Between BBBiggs and myself there is almost 3000 hours in my car restoration. About 1150 hours at Biggs ($118K) and 1700+ hours of logged shop time by myself. Costs at Biggs include $5200 to have vent frames and flip out latches rechromed and all stainless polished by House of Chrome (same place the Guild uses), all door, hood, trunk latches replated, about $18K to National Moparts for AMD metal and finishing paint supplies alone where over 6 grand from House of Kolors. That's the only way around water based paint in Canada.. custom paint for say your helicopter.

You keep saying "metal work and paint". It's the body work in between those too stages that costs you a LOT of labour. You also say that you "don't know until you blast it" and I can confirm that. It reveals all the teenage body work we did to keep our rides on the road way back when and most Ontario cars "disappear" during blasting! Only thing original under mine is the left front frame rail !

My shell was picked up Jan 2016 and returned to me Feb 2017. Once I had the majority of my car back together and running I took her back over in Feb of 2018 for her beauty appointment to be cut and polished and the last time I've seen George. He was trying to retire, but seeing he lives on site I don't see that ever happening! He doesn't do email.. even after you really get to know him it's tough to sway him. He's old school, phone only.
beerestoration2015 909.JPG
beerestoration2015 910.JPG
beerestowaynebodyshopvisits 026.JPG
beerestowaynebodyshopvisits 063.JPG
beerestowaynebodyshopvisits 140.JPG
beerestowaynebodyshopvisits 049.JPG
beerestowaynebodyshopvisits 051.JPG
beerestowaynebodyshopvisits 351.JPG
beerestoration2019 634.JPG
beerestoration2019 635.JPG

Last edited:
George picked up my stripped to the last bolt shell, other than he wanted the door glass left in to see fitment before removal and I got my empty shell back. I rebuilt/restored EVERY part on the car myself other than the engine (that still runs like a watch after a rebuild way back in '88!). Between BBBiggs and myself there is almost 3000 hours in my car restoration. About 1150 hours at Biggs ($118K) and 1700+ hours of logged shop time by myself. Costs at Biggs include $5200 to have vent frames and flip out latches rechromed and all stainless polished by House of Chrome (same place the Guild uses), all door, hood, trunk latches replated, about $18K to National Moparts for AMD metal and finishing paint supplies alone where over 6 grand from House of Kolors. That's the only way around water based paint in Canada.. custom paint for say your helicopter.

You keep saying "metal work and paint". It's the body work in between those too stages that costs you a LOT of labour. You also say that you "don't know until you blast it" and I can confirm that. It reveals all the teenage body work we did to keep our rides on the road way back when and most Ontario cars "disappear" during blasting! Only thing original under mine is the left front frame rail !

My shell was picked up Jan 2016 and returned to me Feb 2017. Once I had the majority of my car back together and running I took her back over in Feb of 2018 for her beauty appointment to be cut and polished and the last time I've seen George. He was trying to retire, but seeing he lives on site I don't see that ever happening! He doesn't do email.. even after you really get to know him it's tough to sway him. He's old school, phone only.View attachment 1715658700 View attachment 1715658701 View attachment 1715658713 View attachment 1715658714 View attachment 1715658715 View attachment 1715658716 View attachment 1715658717 View attachment 1715658718 View attachment 1715658719 View attachment 1715658720

Came out sharp. Thankfully I have no plan to re chrome most things on it lol, I feel like you could've bought repo parts cheaper than the cost to re chrome much of it.

You haven’t mentioned what your budget is, however, whatever that number is, have at least 1/3 to 1/2 of that budget figure for contingency on top of that. Especially if your budget figure is anywhere between $15k to $25k. If your down at $10k, have double that for contingency. There will always be surprises.

It reads like you kinda know it’s going to be a costly restoration but you’re trying to see if there’s a ‘silver bullet’ to save you lots of $. There isn’t.

Remember, which two of the three do you want? Cheap, fast and reliable.

You haven’t mentioned what your budget is, however, whatever that number is, have at least 1/3 to 1/2 of that budget figure for contingency on top of that. Especially if your budget figure is anywhere between $15k to $25k. If your down at $10k, have double that for contingency. There will always be surprises.

It reads like you kinda know it’s going to be a costly restoration but you’re trying to see if there’s a ‘silver bullet’ to save you lots of $. There isn’t.

Remember, which two of the three do you want? Cheap, fast and reliable.

I have no illusions on how this works nor looking for a silver bullet. I'm mainly trying to find a shop that has a good reputation and isn't $130 an hour. After that its basically a coin flip, whatever my budget is, it can easily run out depending what is found. I got no deadlines so time isn't an issue. I'm building a driver and not a show car so I got that going for me also. If I Can get the car back for 30k or under that would be a great day imo. Anything over that, and my wife is going to have to start selling more houses to help lol.

I'm hoping to get a few shops that seem good, and then I'll trailer the car out to them myself and let them have a look. I won't get any hard numbers, but being stripped, they should have an idea of where to start and estimate surprises.

You won't get the cars body work and paint work done for $30,000 Cdn, let alone a bunch of metal work.... just a rude fact of life.

That was my original plan, "scuff and paint this ***** for 20 to 30 and drive her". That plan went out the window in a hurry and once you've paid to have the car stripped of 3 layers of paint with a razor blade and then the car bottom blasted to dust, do you take the mess home or do you let them carry on??? The other thing with restoration shops, you keep them paid every month or your car goes back a "cog" in the waiting line..

As for rechroming costing more than buying repops, it's a wash and most reproduction stuff is junk. I showed up one day and my stuff had already been sent to House of Chrome for a quote. Was too late at that point as they are also a 3 to 6 month waiting line up, so once it was there I just bought another jar of vasoline. "Who wants nice shiny paint and scratched, pitted and dull chrome and stainless trim" is what I got told and in the end he was spot on with that advise...

I have no illusions on how this works nor looking for a silver bullet. I'm mainly trying to find a shop that has a good reputation and isn't $130 an hour. After that its basically a coin flip, whatever my budget is, it can easily run out depending what is found. I got no deadlines so time isn't an issue. I'm building a driver and not a show car so I got that going for me also. If I Can get the car back for 30k or under that would be a great day imo. Anything over that, and my wife is going to have to start selling more houses to help lol.

I'm hoping to get a few shops that seem good, and then I'll trailer the car out to them myself and let them have a look. I won't get any hard numbers, but being stripped, they should have an idea of where to start and estimate surprises.

Sounds like you’ve got a firm grasp on reality.

It’s probably going to be tough to find a shop with a great reputation at a low shop rate. If you were a shop owner with a good reputation, would you charge $85 or something closer to $130? If shops with good reputations can charge $130, why would you discount your work for much less?

Just have your wife sell a home out here on the west coast and she will make a ~$45k commission on one sale based on the average price a detached home sells for. Half that value if she’s only the listing or buying agent.

Sounds like you’ve got a firm grasp on reality.

It’s probably going to be tough to find a shop with a great reputation at a low shop rate. If you were a shop owner with a good reputation, would you charge $85 or something closer to $130? If shops with good reputations can charge $130, why would you discount your work for much less?

Just have your wife sell a home out here on the west coast and she will make a ~$45k commission on one sale based on the average price a detached home sells for. Half that value if she’s only the listing or buying agent.

Lol seriously, GTA isn't much different. Shes just reentering the work force so got to give her a bit of a break.

So really only one is Biggs here. Appreciate the conversation.

At least with Biggs he now understands 68 to 70 A and B bodies as there was a Cuda ahead of mine that I made him correct the "GM" paint line mistakes he'd made before he got to mine! I was there weekly to make sure he was keeping things OE correct. Probably still cursing my name! LOL

There is also a place beside the 400 flea market (Innisfil Beach road) now... but I forget it's name and know nothing about them. By the pictures outside on the building looks like a GM facility.

Other option to stay cheaper is the local body shop, but you'll be continuously put in the corner... for years.... while they do insurance work! Guys call it "paint jail" and I personally know over a dozen guys that have been waiting 6+ years to get their cars back.

Lol seriously, GTA isn't much different. Shes just reentering the work force so got to give her a bit of a break.

So really only one is Biggs here. Appreciate the conversation.

I have a friend who had his ‘69 Dart done there and he was very happy with the outcome.

There’s another guy I know, Richard who has a “backyard” shop called Muscle Cars Again out of Wasaga Beach 705-429-3369 who knows Mopar very well and does very good work.

At least with Biggs he now understands 68 to 70 A and B bodies as there was a Cuda ahead of mine that I made him correct the "GM" paint line mistakes he'd made before he got to mine! I was there weekly to make sure he was keeping things OE correct. Probably still cursing my name! LOL

There is also a place beside the 400 flea market (Innisfil Beach road) now... but I forget it's name and know nothing about them. By the pictures outside on the building looks like a GM facility.

Other option to stay cheaper is the local body shop, but you'll be continuously put in the corner... for years.... while they do insurance work! Guys call it "paint jail" and I personally know over a dozen guys that have been waiting 6+ years to get their cars back.

Yeah if you're going for an all original resto I can see how these cost start to add up. All those little things like your chrome for example just creep in. My car was originally a /6 bench seat car that was already converted to a big block buckets (poorly, but done) I'm not looking to win shows with amazing paint and keep things all original. I just want the cancer gone and not have to worry bout it creeping back. Going to start calling around and we'll see where it goes.

They’re called Radical Redtorations.

I know nothing about them.

I live close to Legendary Motorcars in Halton Hills. Why not give them a call.....

:rofl:

I've known Peter Klutt since he was doing Mustangs in his single car garage. Didn't call him..... Same deal with David Grainger at the Guild.....

I've know Peter Klut since he was doing Mustangs in his single car garage. Didn't call him...

I remember seeing The Shelby Shop ads in the Autotrader newspaper in the 80’s.

I have a friend that had floors replaced in his convertible Camaro at Legendary 30 years ago and it was over $20 000 back then.

Yah about the right time frame. I was the Electro Mechanical Engineer at Consumers Glass in Milton '82 to '85.

I have a friend who had his ‘69 Dart done there and he was very happy with the outcome.

There’s another guy I know, Richard who has a “backyard” shop called Muscle Cars Again out of Wasaga Beach 705-429-3369 who knows Mopar very well and does very good work.

Thanks spoke to Richard. Sounds like a nice guy. He's got quiet a backlog lol, 3 years or so.

Most enjoyable person I spoke to so far though. Does one car a year during summer then goes back to working on the ski hills . I can appreciate that. Wants to keep it enjoyable.

He offered to come down and at least look at car and give me an opinion on man hours and work which is decent. Not quite sure I want to wait that long but I'm going to talk to him again.

Thanks spoke to Richard. Sounds like a nice guy. He's got quiet a backlog lol, 3 years or so.

Most enjoyable person I spoke to so far though. Does one car a year during summer then goes back to working on the ski hills . I can appreciate that. Wants to keep it enjoyable.

He offered to come down and at least look at car and give me an opinion on man hours and work which is decent. Not quite sure I want to wait that long but I'm going to talk to him again.

Glad you made contact with him. He’s a very knowledgeable guy. It would be a great asset to have him come look at your car. I’ve talked to him many times about redoing my car.

I’ve known Rich for over 20 years. Tell him Ed with the green Dart sent you.

Glad you made contact with him. He’s a very knowledgeable guy. It would be a great asset to have him come look at your car. I’ve talked to him many times about redoing my car.

I’ve known Rich for over 20 years. Tell him Ed with the green Dart sent you.

Will do. I figured at very least, if I go with someone else I get a good set of eyes giving me their opinion. That's worth something on it's own.

-
Back