Open car trailer vs enclosed

Flat bed vs enclosed hauler

• Total voters
-
Most hilarious photo I've ever seen was Steve, OldManMopar, hauling a bare empty A body strapped tot he top of his running A body "back in the day."

View attachment 1716122846

mg]

Body in White
Body in Flight

I voted flat bed car hauler. I have not had one in some 8 years or so as my old one rotted away under a cedar tree. I just bought another for a bunch of money (I live somewhere else now with no Cedar tree:)) I am now working on winch purchase/install etc... This trailer is all I need.

IMG_20230805_174420.jpg

I voted flat bed car hauler. I have not had one in some 8 years or so as my old one rotted away under a cedar tree. I just bought another for a bunch of money (I live somewhere else now with no Cedar tree:)) I am now working on winch purchase/install etc... This trailer is all I need.

View attachment 1716123521
Nice looking trailer.
HF has or had their 12k winch on sale for $300 the other day.
I put one on my trailer. It will drag Vehicles up on the trailer with all four tires locked up. I love mine.

I changed my vote after seeing what your plans are. Diehard racers need an enclosed trailer unless you beg and borrow what you need throughout race weekends. My trailer is stocked better than some guys shops. Not so much lately but it used to cost me over 200.00 a year just to supply guys with transmission fluid, oil, and grade 8 bolts.

I bought a new Cub Cadet ZT 50 last year after my Yazoo didn't want to start. I love the Cub Cadet it's fast but the Finish cut sucks. The Yazoo with a 61 inch deck 22 horsepower front mount cuts the lawn like a carpet. And the nice thing is I can get up under the bushes with it. Using the Cub Cadet zero turn I have to finish up with a weed wacker where I didn't have to with the front mount Yazoo.
I did buy a Kubota l245dt 4x4 diesel mini tractor with a frontend loader the other day and I now have my 6-ft Bush Hog on it. Have not tried it out yet. Got it for mowing the pastures. I have 20 acres.
One of the handiest pieces of equipment you can get for the farm is a skid steer. It is equal to having 10 people help you. I'm going to convert my bush hog to a front mount hydraulic powered mower for my case 1845c.

This is kind of exactly what I’ve been thinking.. 1 piece at a time right. Plus with all the trees the tractor will come in handy.

Holy f balls mowing 3ft tall grass with a 46 in mower was not fun at all! Took forever. She couldn’t hang with dad, fell asleep mid mow. There were plenty of times I was barely inching along because if I went to fast the mower bogged down and died.

71295581380__107B21B6-19B1-4FA5-9481-FED765BB0F10.jpeg

IMG_4193.jpeg

IMG_4195.jpeg

IMG_4196.jpeg

IMG_4198.jpeg

IMG_4197.jpeg

Planning on buying miniature highlands? They’re pricey but dang if they ain’t adorable!! We’ve only got 4 acres where we live now (down from 165 at our last place) and I’m not about to mow it all every week, so we plan to fence 2-3 acres of it and buy 2 miniature highlands. That’s a real nice property you got there, and if you can add that other 20 acres, you’ll have about the perfect farmette! I’m slightly jealous!

Yes we want some mini highlands, I also want 1 longhorn because why the hell not haha. Yeah the highlands are expensive but they will end up more like pets haha. My hygienist her brother just bought a couple to start breeding, maybe I’ll get some deals? Probably not.

We saw a nice 4pt buck on the property today towards the evening as well.

165acres here is not affordable. We were lucky to get this place and got a great deal, but most of the area an acre is now going for 15-20k.

You have firewood. Bad fence for cattle. Cattle eat grass, then you eat the cattle. Check out raising high end Boer goats for FFA projects. Good ones bring $$. Put wife in charge of goats. No one buys anything but a Z Turn to mow lawns now days. Yep get a loader with the tractor. Used fork lift is handy.
I can be hired as butler, and wife will be the maid. We work cheap.
One of my patients raises goats, his sell for around 10k. It’s a damn goat, crazy. He said his wife’s friend sold a goat for 27k?! What the hell! I got into the wrong profession apparently

Yes we want some mini highlands, I also want 1 longhorn because why the hell not haha. Yeah the highlands are expensive but they will end up more like pets haha. My hygienist her brother just bought a couple to start breeding, maybe I’ll get some deals? Probably not.

We saw a nice 4pt buck on the property today towards the evening as well.

165acres here is not affordable. We were lucky to get this place and got a great deal, but most of the area an acre is now going for 15-20k.
I do have a few longhorns over at my dads farm. They do make great pasture ornaments and are much cheaper than the mini highlands.

IMG_7053.jpeg

IMG_3495.jpeg

One of my patients raises goats, his sell for around 10k. It’s a damn goat, crazy. He said his wife’s friend sold a goat for 27k?! What the hell! I got into the wrong profession apparently
Tgere is a difference in Boarers. A wither that can place at the major stock shows are expensive. The ones that can win at the County or state fairs can cost a couple or so grand, a straw of semen usually costs us $5-600 to do one nanny plus the trip to a vet that does AI and that costs. We have a billy for our lesser nannies. A decent billy will cost $4000 up. Decent. Our feed bill runs $500 a month for about 15 nannies. But it is a dry as a popcorn fart here too.
You are a doc. You can handle breech births!

Tgere is a difference in Boarers. A wither that can place at the major stock shows are expensive. The ones that can win at the County or state fairs can cost a couple or so grand, a straw of semen usually costs us $5-600 to do one nanny plus the trip to a vet that does AI and that costs. We have a billy for our lesser nannies. A decent billy will cost $4000 up. Decent. Our feed bill runs $500 a month for about 15 nannies. But it is a dry as a popcorn fart here too.
You are a doc. You can handle breech births!

Yeah that’s crazy. I want no goats at my house. They would make keeping the grass down easy though.

If you have good enough fence, get a few or so weaned calves. If you are going to depreciate the equipment and bldg. for taxes you need a FARM!!!!!

The whole property is fenced in. I’m taking the fences behind the house out though.

Dang, Doc! You're wearing that stuff out moving it....lol. The open trailer will be fine. Pick a nice day and do it. Surely there's a trunk latch in one of those boxes? You don't need the lock. A flat screwdriver will open it from the outside. As mentioned above, a ratchet strap between the doors will hold em shut. Use some cardboard between the doors and jams to keep them fro, banging and scuffing. Same with the hood. Congrats on the new shop....errrr house! :)
@johndart If the red X wasn’t a fat finger on a phone, what was it you disagree with?

Not a what to buy poll, as I’d 100% be buying an enclosed trailer.

I just bought a house with some shops for my divorce starters… (mopars) which means I need to move my project Dart from the rental to its new home… it’s about a 40 minute drive in the back highways.

the car in question currently has no windows, no windshield, doors not latched to the closing mechanism (door bolts not installed). The fenders aren’t 100% attached and the hood and trunk have no latches….

I haven’t been able to find an enclosed trailer close to me to rent to move the dart, but I can find a flat bed car hauler rather easily. Should I just grab the flat bed hauler, and tie everything down and shut and go or… should I rent an enclosed trailer that is a 1hr drive one way from my current house. I just don’t want to drive all day but it can be done if need be.

View attachment 1716122817

View attachment 1716122818

View attachment 1716122819

44092211-B5E1-4F91-8FAA-B4FF435453FC.jpeg

CAA27823-E1DC-46FD-96ED-17030324D104.png

Last edited:
Well I got it moved… wanted an enclosed trailer but the place kicked me in the nuts and said “I can’t rent you the enclosed trailer because you don’t have a 3/4 ton truck….” Well… now apparently I need a bigger truck…

Let me be the one to tell anyone who wants to listen…. Get a winch! My whole body hurts… I thought I could get a little come along puller and be fine? Nope! I couldn’t figure out how to use it… I used my 2 big *** tow straps as winches. Little by little. The car is in its new spot, it’ll probably get moved around after we move in.

Oh we also got a new barn cat… that my wife and kids are trying to change to an indoor cat. It was stuck in one of my old lady patients engine bay this Wednesday. We haven’t figured out a name for her yet. Our house came with 3 other barn cats but they are 15-19 years old, we need some young blood out there.

IMG_4258.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4265.jpeg

IMG_4268.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

IMG_4274.jpeg

Barn cat… I think we could call her skid mark but will probably end up being Finley, shadow or oil.

IMG_4236.jpeg

IMG_4237.jpeg

IMG_5036.jpeg

IMG_4243.jpeg

IMG_4248.jpeg

IMG_4249.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

Yes you need a heavier truck especially with a farm.
Forth cat name it Number Four.
Like star trac number one.

Well I got it moved… wanted an enclosed trailer but the place kicked me in the nuts and said “I can’t rent you the enclosed trailer because you don’t have a 3/4 ton truck….” Well… now apparently I need a bigger truck…

Let me be the one to tell anyone who wants to listen…. Get a winch! My whole body hurts… I thought I could get a little come along puller and be fine? Nope! I couldn’t figure out how to use it… I used my 2 big *** tow straps as winches. Little by little. The car is in its new spot, it’ll probably get moved around after we move in.

Oh we also got a new barn cat… that my wife and kids are trying to change to an indoor cat. It was stuck in one of my old lady patients engine bay this Wednesday. We haven’t figured out a name for her yet. Our house came with 3 other barn cats but they are 15-19 years old, we need some young blood out there.

View attachment 1716126585

View attachment 1716126586

View attachment 1716126587

View attachment 1716126588

View attachment 1716126589

View attachment 1716126590

View attachment 1716126591

View attachment 1716126592
I got a lot of cars moved with the little 2500 harbor fright (on purpose!) winch, but there were lots of times I wish I had more.. Bought a 9 ton HF, acts like it could pull down a house. Battery and winch in a box, on the trailer.
I got my old 2500 bolted to a mount to go in a receiver, but set up to be chained to a tree, or whatever. Handy for moving cars on those wheeled rollers.
Edit: beautiful family, and family of cats!

-
Back