Opinions needed

Which one looks the best. Edelbrock #1, Spectre Short #2 or Spectre Long#3

• Total voters
-

Dodge73Dart

1973 Dodge Dart Sport restoration
Reaction score
Okay this is everyone's chance to take a vote and give your opinions on which setup to use for the air cleaner.
I have a Edelbrock Elchepo that I cut down the base on to get more clearance.
My concerns are that with the Edelbrock Performer intake and Edelbrock Carb would set up too high to clear the stock hood.
I also wanted to have a way to keep the Endurashine Carb in view as possible and still have an air cleaner.
I also have a Spectre set up that also gives clearance and can be set up a couple of ways.
Here are pics of all three of my choices. Let me know what you think.
#1, #2 or #3
Edelbrock 1.jpg
Spectre Short.jpg
Spectre Long.jpg

Does anyone have the Performer intake and Edelbrock Carb with either of these air cleaners on an Abody? Is there enough hood clearance? I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport.

I think you missed a category; none of the above,lol.
But if I had to vote on those as to looks,it would be #1, the; "I want to catch fire and burn your car down Edelbrock". I got a soft spot in my heart for those, even tho I almost lost my 1957 Chevy Belaire to one.

I have a 68 Barracuda and the factory 69-340 filter house fit on my 750DP/AG, with just shy of zero to spare on the stud to hood.
The Edelbrock on Edelbrock, I'm pretty sure, would fit on a non-AirGap intake, under my hood.
But in the end, I cut a hole in the hood and gave her what she so desperately craved; cold air.

Last edited:
In my opinion (normally off the wall), the Edelbrock looks like a fragment of a beehive and the Spectre long looks like a pair of limp dicks. By the process of elimination, I have to choose Spectre short. Well, I least I have an opinion, right?

Does anyone know if the supercharged twin engined P-38 Lightning used air filters? If so, might have been designed well and something to copy--they were quick & fast.

The edelbrock in the pic is famous for its foam degrading and getting sucked into the carb.

Does anyone have the Performer intake and Edelbrock Carb with either of these air cleaners on an Abody? Is there enough hood clearance? I have a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport.
If my math is correct, the#2176 performer manifold is .72" shorter than the factory 68-71 cast iron intakes that used Carter AVS carbs. So your combo should have clearance to run just about any air cleaner as long as you don't go too crazy with filter height. Personally, I would prefer a round open element air cleaner instead of some Buck Rogers space age looking thing.
Your engine looks really cool though!

If my math is correct, the#2176 performer manifold is .72" shorter than the factory 68-71 cast iron intakes that used Carter AVS carbs. So your combo should have clearance to run just about any air cleaner as long as you don't go too crazy with filter height. Personally, I would prefer a round open element air cleaner instead of some Buck Rogers space age looking thing.
Your engine looks really cool though!
The factory air cleaners had a dropped base on those earlier manifolds, so you gotta take that into account. But remember, you've gained almost 3/4". If the #2176 is the one you have.

I agree with the choice none of the above.

That said, my opinion is, I like boobs.

#1 by a billion miles. The other 2 I wouldn't even put out if they were on fire.

I can't say I'm a big fan of any of the three, had the foam Edelbrock years ago on one of my vehicles, nearly made for a nice bonfire too, as they seem to be prone to. My preference would be another one like I eventually had on my 70, a drop base 1" if I remember, with a K&N 14" filter and Extreme filter top. I also had a generous opening in the hood, which the motor seemed to really like, except in really cold weather.

I like #
I can't say I'm a big fan of any of the three, had the foam Edelbrock years ago on one of my vehicles, nearly made for a nice bonfire too, as they seem to be prone to. My preference would be another one like I eventually had on my 70, a drop base 1" if I remember, with a K&N 14" filter and Extreme filter top. I also had a generous opening in the hood, which the motor seemed to really like, except in really cold weather.
I would think a 1" drop base round air cleaner with a 2176 manifold would fit under the hood of any 68 and up dart as long as you didn't get too wild with the filter.

I like #

I would think a 1" drop base round air cleaner with a 2176 manifold would fit under the hood of any 68 and up dart as long as you didn't get too wild with the filter.
Agreed, there was plenty of clearance as I recall, at least an inch, filter was approximately 3 inches tall.

I love the Fly Eye edelbrock, as I had one atop a Quadrajet stout small block in a Chevy II that made lovely music when thrown down into second at 35 miles an hour and opened up through a valley. I also washed and re-oiled the filter monthly as I was scared to death of a loss of airflow and a drop in performance. I would scrape all the deteriorating foam off during washing, so I never had any trouble fouling the carb. I don’t know if they are still available, but I think one of the chrome 9 inch triangular element edelbrocks would work without concealing too much endura-shine.

-
Back