Opinions on Build/whats the best way to piss E body people off

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
Howdy all
So I have a '70 challenger shell, (rusty all over) and am thinking on how I want to build her. Being a body man who restores mopars I know exactly what it would take to make this car nice again, but thats NOT how I want to build this one!!!

I just recently figured out how to get a title so I decided what the heck lets throw something together that is fun and if it get damaged who cares!

Obviously safety is paramount but I am thinking an 80's look would be killer.

so here is what I am thinking

DP90 flat black
flip shackles - sitten high in back
8 3/4 with 4:10s
440 slightly built but with 80's performance parts
A833
slots all the way around or just slots in back with steeies in front
No interior
2 buckets with harnesses
roll cage? maybe....
subframe connectors
cracked dash with aftermarket old school gauges like sunpros or something
Disk brakes up front
stiffen up the chassis a lot
hand made 1/4 patches, I am a body man so they would look great just be cheaper then ordering 1/4s
old light lenses
pitted chrome on bumpers or painted bumpers....
8 track with cheap 6x9s with some zepplin, zztop, floyd, yes, who, and
cb with whip
side pipes
whatever else I round up

I think you guys get the idea

What do you think? what would you do differently?

Keep in mind I might be getting a convert '70 challenger /6 and I would be doing a very nice resto on that one
This hard top is simply a fun car...

resize2.jpg

resize3.jpg

resize4.jpg

resize5.jpg

Ahhhhhhh yes..... Rat Rod!
Go for it!
It will however make all/most of the E Body people hate you though.
Like I said... Go for it.
Later,
Bruce B.

Demo the f***er!

Just kidding. '80s old school, huh? Would definately be unique.

At least it wouldn't be yet another Hemi clone....

Demo the f***er!

Just kidding. '80s old school, huh? Would definately be unique.

At least it wouldn't be yet another Hemi clone....

Exactly and if I paste it who cares!

and yes it is fun to piss off the E body people!

So, first off, its your car, do what you want!

I will say this though-

-They make 1/4 panel patches for the lower parts of the quarter. They're usually around $100. As a guy that has done bodywork and fabrication as well, I'd have to say for the price it'd be easier/more cost and time effective to buy them. For example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-7...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19bc09820e

-Don't flip the shackles. Its a ton of work, you risk messing up the pinion angle and warping the rear end, and should you decide to sell the car in the future its unlikely to help your cause. Instead, buy a set of lift springs. These can be ordered from ESPO in various lifts. Or, if you're on a budget, have the original springs re-arched to add height. Or use an add-a-leaf kit. A little extra spring rate is a good thing, and though an add-a-leaf will likely be more than a little, I still think its a better option than flipping the shackles. Superstock springs will also work, but then you're into getting new hangers at minimum, or doing a spring relocation kit because of their shorter front section and moving the perches anyway. This guy lists all kinds of springs on eBay, might be able to get you a custom arch, although he already lists a set of +2" springs for e-bodys

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519091af82

Those are just my thoughts, less fabrication and easier to convert back to stock if you (or the next owner) so choose.

Exactly and if I past it who cares!

Here's an E-body guy that doesn't get pissed at much. Except the stereotype that since I have an E-body I'm an elitist snob...

Oh, wait! Hey, Ross, you're an E-body owner. Welcome to the club of elitist snobs! :cheers::-D

So, first off, its your car, do what you want!

I will say this though-

-They make 1/4 panel patches for the lower parts of the quarter. They're usually around $100. As a guy that has done bodywork and fabrication as well, I'd have to say for the price it'd be easier/more cost and time effective to buy them. For example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-7...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19bc09820e

-Don't flip the shackles. Its a ton of work, you risk messing up the pinion angle and warping the rear end, and should you decide to sell the car in the future its unlikely to help your cause. Instead, buy a set of lift springs. These can be ordered from ESPO in various lifts. Or, if you're on a budget, have the original springs re-arched to add height. Or use an add-a-leaf kit. A little extra spring rate is a good thing, and though an add-a-leaf will likely be more than a little, I still think its a better option than flipping the shackles. Superstock springs will also work, but then you're into getting new hangers at minimum, or doing a spring relocation kit because of their shorter front section and moving the perches anyway. This guy lists all kinds of springs on eBay, might be able to get you a custom arch, although he already lists a set of +2" springs for e-bodys

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAR...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519091af82

Those are just my thoughts, less fabrication and easier to convert back to stock if you (or the next owner) so choose.

You are right the patches don't look like a bad way to go
However I do the back end it won't be a hack job, lots of things to think about and lots of parts to gather before anything happens.

Here's an E-body guy that doesn't get pissed at much. Except the stereotype that since I have an E-body I'm an elitist snob...

Oh, wait! Hey, Ross, you're an E-body owner. Welcome to the club of elitist snobs! :cheers::-D

LOL Thanks Robert! :toothy10::rock:

I forgot it will have an 8 track for sure with some zepplin, zztop, floyd, yes, who, and whatever else I round up

Exactly and if I past it who cares!

As an E-body owner.... THGPHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I hate most E body owners because of THAT snob way about them. There a few good fellas around though. I'm just lucky to have gotten mine at the whoppin price of $600 in 1988. It's a bucket then and now and I don't care. The only time I get **** is from those E body asswipes or just some idiot who thinks I can assemble this for $2,000 and have it look good.

Forget making patch panels. Just find some old metal oil or beer cans and use them with rivets. No body filler and no paint. Then put you an import drive train in it.

That combo would definately pissem off.

And don't be fooled by the pics this thing is rusty and should be completely blown apart with a 10k order to AMD to become anything more then a beater. Hence why I want to build it this way, the rails are solid the cowl is decent the floors and exterior sheet metal are all shot. I am thinking some M acid to slow/stop the rust and the spay bondo.

Forget making patch panels. Just find some old metal oil or beer cans and use them with rivets. No body filler and no paint. Then put you an import drive train in it.

That combo would definately pissem off.

I LIKE IT!!!!
I do want the car to be straight though...

I'm in the same boat. Excellent frame rails and floors. Trunk is good in the center. Engine bay has 1 rot spot due to cloged drain. 1 stress crack. Everything else...... shot!!!!!!

And it's great! Beat the stones outta of it and never worry!

OH, by the way, your a leg up on me because mine is rattle can Kylon White and rattle can BBQ Black out hood treament.

I'm in the same boat. Excellent frame rails and floors. Trunk is good in the center. Engine bay has 1 rot spot due to cloged drain. 1 stress crack. Everything else...... shot!!!!!!

And it's great! Beat the stones outta of it and never worry!

OH, by the way, your a leg up on me because mine is rattle can Kylon White and rattle can BBQ Black out hood treament.

lol nice, but hey I have cars that are nice, I am afraid I won't want to drive the aspen when I am done, but this, this will be fun!

I am an e-body and A-body guy but I'm not an azz wipe and you doing it that way doesn't pizz me off.... I like your I dea it least you are wanting to drive it, and not crush it...

Just to make your point blast this out of a cheap pair of 6x9s (or better yet, those stand up package tray speakers everyone used in the '80s) through the old 8 track.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_EFdod4YDo"]YouTube- ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man (From "Live In Texas")[/ame]

Grey primer would look cool, and its got to have a early 70's style pro-stock scoop, for that Landy or Motown Missile look.
Go with SS springs or extension shackles.
This thing could be freakin awesome!
Soo Jealous =P~

-
Back