What are your opinions on this combo?

340 with Comp XE262
Auto Trans with 323 gears
Original TQ carb
1969 HP exhaust manifolds
2 1/2 inch TTI head pipes
2 1/2 inch TTI Exhaust pipes with H pipe
Flowmaster 409S mufflers
2 1/2 inch TTI over axle tail pipes with turn downs.

In a '71 Demon 100% cruiser

What say Ye?

I have a 66 Valiant with a 273 original manifolds and similar cam. I have flow master 40s on it with 2 1\2 inch exhaust. At certain rpms the drone .makes it feel lime my head is going to explode. Sound good outside the car. I have some magnaflows to put on hopefully they are better.

If those are the super tens..... you'll hate em in ten minutes.
I happen to like the flowmaster sound, have one on my dually, and a couple 50 series on my 62, that don't drone. But that's cause I bought the BIGGEST mufflers that would fit, not the smallest.
I would not use any Flowmaster 40 or 44. Almost guaranteed too loud and a nasty drone.
I have used hooker aero flow, and magnaflows too. Lots here recommend dynomax ultraflows.

Last edited:
What say, “wooom woooom wooom”’every time you cruise.
Those gears are killing your cruise sound.

Flowmasters are a "love 'em or hate 'em" muffler. I've never been happy with how they sound.
I do like the Borla ProXS, though. A nice, throaty burble; but not obnoxious and no drone.
Not cheap, but what is anymore?

I have a Dynomax Ultra Flow welded muffler on Vixen and it has no drone at all. I love how it sounds. A six can have an annoying raspy loud "buzz" and it does have a raspy sound, but it's not bothersome and has no drone at all. I can recommend them.

ave a Dynomax Ultra Flow welded muffler on Vixen and it has no drone at all.
I have the same mufflers (14inch i believe) on my dart. quiet at idle and cruise and a nice throaty rasp when you step on it. slight drone at 65-67 mph in my case but its not bad

Not sure what you mean?
Drone noise. Hard to describe with words the hair pulling, ear bleeding noise that certain combinations make at a lower rpm under load. 3:23 gears are tough. Easy on fuel but makes a good engine work and you hear it.

It's worth a try, if you don't like it just change out the mufflers. The rest of the combo is fine. I like the sound of Flowmasters but I currently run Black Widow mufflers.

I do not want to have to wear ear plugs when I drive...............I already have to do that in my first gen Cummins truck. Sounds like I'll be looking for something else for this car.

I have the flowmaster 40's from a "lot" buy. Sounds like NOT what I am looking for.

I have a simple recipe for a quiet non power-robbing exhaust system.
Get the right size thru tubing for the engine combo (no 2 1/2 tubing necked down inside the muffler, to 2', or 3" necked down to 2 1/2) and get the biggest, longest muffler of your choice (triple pass, straight thru, or chambered) that will fit under the car.
Which muffler type you choose will determine how it sounds.

I absolutely can't stand Flomaster mufflers of any flavor. I have TTI exhaust on my 408 Dart using TTI supplied Dynomax Ultraflows. Car gets compliments everywhere it goes regarding sound. 3" absolutely no drone, civil inside at highway speed, 575HP.

I had to google that muffler part number because I wasn't familiar with the part number. Is this what you're considering?:

1700156327532.png

If so, it'll be loud as hell and drone like a ****. Probably not the best muffler choice for a street cruiser. Even their website says:

Intended for customers who desire the loudest and most aggressive sound they can find. Because these mufflers are so aggressive, they are recommended only for off highway use and not for street driven vehicles

I had to google that muffler part number because I wasn't familiar with the part number. Is this what you're considering?:

View attachment 1716167337

If so, it'll be loud as hell and drone like a ****. Probably not the best muffler choice for a street cruiser. Even their website says:

Intended for customers who desire the loudest and most aggressive sound they can find. Because these mufflers are so aggressive, they are recommended only for off highway use and not for street driven vehicles
80% of their mufflers should come with that disclaimer. But the word aggressive should be swapped with drone.

Exactly, trying to get an idea about what I should use.
Exhaust is personal preference. For years I have run Dynomax Super Turbo but they can have some drone at certain rpm. My duster just got Borla Pro XS and my chevy truck just got magnaflow. Go to youtube and search muffler sound comparison. Lots of video out there to compare.

Just about every muffler comparison test I've seen, the dynomax ultraflow (straight thru) have best hp, and reasonable sound volume.
I would get the longest ones that will fit underthe car.

Goerlich's Xlerator + X (3.0")AX1234.25" x 9.25" x 18"97%71, 82, 92

AP Exhaust Xlerator Performance Mufflers XS125618" offset inlet center outlet XLERATORS from AP/Goerlich. Bolt right on an A body and flow well, sound good and not too loud or droney.​

The specs above are from a 3" version of same muffler. Flows 97% of open pipe and 92 dBA at 3500 rpm is quiet for a high po muffler.

Part Number: APH-XS1256
AP Exhaust Xlerator Performance Mufflers XS1256

• AP Exhaust XS1256 - AP Exhaust Xlerator Performance Mufflers
  • +2
    Video
    Exhaust Component Sizing and Fitting
$50.99

If Tom likes it, you can bet your a##, it's a good muffler, and it looks like a good price too!
THERE is your recommendation! Tom Hand has forgotten more about mufflers than 99% of us know.

-
Back