OPINIONS ON EXHAUST SOUND

-
Forgive me for not being up on the current technology, but this thread reminded me of how i loved the 2.5 Hush Thrush cans back in my day. Little if any drone, not to loud under full throttle, and the idle was just right to hear the cam out back plus the nice ring up front from the header tubes.

Ok, back to the current programming. :thumbsup:

Pypes has one they call Turbo Pro and it too works well and has minimal drone. It won't flow as much air as the XLERATOR but is a good muffler, much like the Super Turbo from Dynomax.

Rick, Dad ran those too! They sounded good and were quieter than glass packs for sure.

If Tom likes it, you can bet your a##, it's a good muffler, and it looks like a good price too!
THERE is your recommendation! Tom Hand has forgotten more about mufflers than 99% of us know.
Agreed............But where do I get them in Canada?

1700186222245.jpeg

Agreed............But where do I get them in Canada?
CFD it says Summit Racing sells them and they ship from the manufacturer. I bet some Canadian supplier has them too. Google that number and see if some shop has them.

I currently have dual 2 1/2 with X-pipes and Magnaflows (straight through). I have very little drone, and burbles very nicely at idle. My Duster is a daily driver.
I have 3.21 rears gears. With a pretty high build 360 and an A999 auto trans. 3.21's are a good all-around gear if you do a lot of freeway driving, 3.55's are ok as well.
With plenty of torque and a high stall TQ converter, 3.21's can easily be punched through.
There was a time I had Flowmasters 40 series, I took em off after 2 years, I couldn't stand the constant drone whenever I drove on the freeway at length, it droned the worst between 55-65 and at 70 was only barely tolerable. I did one 500 mile drive to CO with the Blowmasters. That was enough, I ain't driving that length going only 50 mph where it droned the least.
I have done numerous 500 mile drives to Colorado with the Magnaflow's since 2016, SO much better! Especially between 60-70+ mph.
I am going to eventually going to H-pipes and Cherry Bomb Vortex's.

EDIT: Also there are some shops that will sample different mufflers on your car, that's what they did with mine. They tested the Super Turbo, Magnaflow and a Flowmaster 50 on the duster. It was an easy choice I went with the Magnaflow, Super Turbo's were a titch too tame & the Flowmaster 50 sounded like a slightly toned down 40 series, it was already giving me flashbacks. (Sadly they didn't sell the Dynomax Ultra-flo's).

Last edited:
For those with flowmasters and want the drone to go away, research Helmholtz resonators, on Google or you tube .
Some experimentation with some scrap exhaust tubing, the drone can disappear.

To each their own- I like a little burble at idle and low back pressure, but I'm way past needing to sound like a ProStocker at the stop lights.
Seems like I get more satisfaction being "that old dude with the quiet exhaust and whitewalls" that just walked all over your fart-canned, pigeon-toed Nissan with a suspension bridge spoiler that can't take off from a dead stop without backfiring a dozen times...
Yep- I really like being a grumpy old fart.

331, the good thing about our data is many of the mufflers are the same; numbers may have changed, but the basic design is still aorund. And by doing it like we did with the same equioment on the same day with the same test equipment, the info we generated is very comparable. All the drag runs we made were also the same day as well as the sound test. We spent a large amount of time and money doing it all but the data has done a lot of good for people needing to actually compare numbers and not advertisments. L

Come on fellers. Be nice. Time is short.

EVERY muffler has a "spot" where it's loudest. That doesn't always equate to a drone. I prefer a muffler that I can hear in the car. I like "some form" of an exhaust note. I also like one that makes an announcement on the outside of the car as it's going by and one that people can hear the engine sound idling through a parking lot. Needless to say one that flows well. I lucked up and got all of that in the muffler I put on Vixen. Lets be realistic here. If you're driving any kind of performance oriented car, it "should" have an audible exhaust note.

Isn’t there anything that compares to the original Hemi muffler that we purchased years ago that was semi quiet, but you could definitely hear the cam lobe sound at idle? I can’t tell what is in the 340 Swinger I just purchased but after reading this thread I presume it’s the Flowmaster, because it sounds like open headers with cotton in my ears.

The Dynomax super turbo 20" body is the closest performance muffler we have ever found. A little more rumblier, a little louder, but flow a lot more air through them than original stock style HEMI mufflers did.

Tom Swope at Accurate sells the ones that are probably most similar to stock mufflers. His fit and look and sound right.

Gardners is also very close but you cannot buy only mufflers from them (unless they have changed lately).

Waldron's are a bit different but also very close. Their louvering is different and the tone is different because of it.

Last edited:
Goerlich's Xlerator + X (3.0")AX1234.25" x 9.25" x 18"97%71, 82, 92

AP Exhaust Xlerator Performance Mufflers XS125618" offset inlet center outlet XLERATORS from AP/Goerlich. Bolt right on an A body and flow well, sound good and not too loud or droney.​

The specs above are from a 3" version of same muffler. Flows 97% of open pipe and 92 dBA at 3500 rpm is quiet for a high po muffler.

Part Number: APH-XS1256
View attachment 1716167446
$50.99
Tom, do you have a part number for the 3” version that will fit an a body?

-
Back