OPINIONS ON EXHAUST SOUND

-
You could flange the rear of the ultraflows, and use the bullets behind them as a resonator, too.
And if you point the turndowns a little toward each other under the truck, the sound smooths out a little more. At least it did for me when I tried it.

You could flange the rear of the ultraflows, and use the bullets behind them as a resonator, too.
And if you point the turndowns a little toward each other under the truck, the sound smooths out a little more. At least it did for me when I tried it.
The problem is….I actually want loud. Like a pro stocker. LOL. But I don’t think I have the cam or compression.

The flowmasters had a weird almost motorcycle sound at full throttle. The drone didn’t bother me because I couldn’t hear it over the howling of the mud tires.

The race bullets sounded most excellent at IDLE, but taking off and full throttle, it was raspy like a newer mustang, that was unacceptable.

There’s a couple more mufflers I’ll try over time. Black Widow Neighbor Haters.

I’m think these little blowers change the tone of a traditional V8, at least under full throttle. Maybe, I dunno.

IMG_5175.jpeg

The loudest street car exhaust I ever had ( I had three setups I could swap out, depending on mood) was a pair of glasspack header mufflers..... with all the packing blown out. Hit em with a wrench, they would ring like bell. 95% uncorked. Just the baffles in the muffler tube to quiet it down.
I'm way too old for that chit now. Now I want the best performance I can get, with a Quiet exhaust. That's why I'm using 24"case 3" magnaflows, lol.

After we put headers on Dad's 440-powered 62 Dodge Polara 500 convertible, probably early seventies, I drove it 45 miles to Macon, Ga to get the exhaust hooked up. Wasn't too terribly loud at light throttle, and it was mostly country anyway. Made it to Macon, and made it into town without getting into trouble, but when I got to the last block of the trip, I had to give it full throttle just once, in low gear, for 3-4 seconds. Sounded great! Then turned into the muffler shop parking lot. Cop followed me in. I thought, uh-oh. He asked, are you here to get your exhaust fixed? I said yep. He said OK, don't leave until you get this thing quieted down. And he left. And I didn't.

Last edited:
Dad and I put a cable operated muffler bypass on the then-single exhaust on my 65 Barracuda. Came from J.C. Whitney. It leaked pretty bad, so we removed the flapper and Dad cut an oil can or something and clamped it onto the bypass outlet. Well, it wasn't too long before the cap blew off. So I just left it off and drove it for a couple of years with an open bypass. Of course, a lot of the exhaust just went on to and through the muffler, but it was still pretty loud. I thought it sounded good, and I never got a ticket for the noisy exhaust (speeding yes, noisy muffler, no).

I did get a ticket for loud mufflers after I swapped in a 340 and ran dual exhaust with Thrush glass packs and no tailpipes. They were loud, too.

I like my cars a little quieter today. . . .

Dad and I put a cable operated muffler bypass on the then-single exhaust on my 65 Barracuda. Came from J.C. Whitney. It leaked pretty bad, so we removed the flapper and Dad cut an oil can or something and clamped it onto the bypass outlet. Well, it wasn't too long before the cap blew off. So I just left it off and drove it for a couple of years with an open bypass. Of course, a lot of the exhaust just went on to and through the muffler, but it was still pretty loud. I thought it sounded good, and I never got a ticket for the noisy exhaust (speeding yes, noisy muffler, no).

I did get a ticket for loud mufflers after I swapped in a 340 and ran dual exhaust with Thrush glass packs and no tailpipes. They were loud, too.

I like my cars a little quieter today. . . .
I had one of those JC Whitney cast iron exhaust dump outs on my 72 318 dart. I had it mounted between the muffler and the y pipe. It was operated with a choke cable. The flapper would work loose and rattle all the time. But as a 16 year old it was fun to go from stealth to obnoxious with the pull of a cable.

Welp… today I got the Ultra Flows flanged and bolted on with turn downs…. It’s definitely the quietest exhaust I’ve ever had…

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it..... The welded stainless steel UltraFlows are my absolute favorite mufflers.

I don't know if it's the firing order, or what, but FLowmasters always sounded really good to me on the Fox body 5.0 Mustangs that got them from the factory. Those sounded really good. Not on much else, though

fox bodys sound awesome with flowmasters. i never saw one factory equipped though. what year was that. the ones i had all had a Ford turbo style muffler. left and right were different lengths too. was supposed to eliminate drone they said.

fox bodys sound awesome with flowmasters. i never saw one factory equipped though. what year was that. the ones i had all had a Ford turbo style muffler. left and right were different lengths too. was supposed to eliminate drone they said.
I know they came off the pregnant truck with them in 1985. I was there. That was also the first year for tubular headers from the factory. The mufflers did not have "FLOWMASTER" stamped into the case, but had both a Ford factory part number and the Flowmaster part number. You could also get them over the counter from the dealership and they came in factory Ford boxes.

A stock fox body with converters sounded mean with flowmaster mufflers. Other than that I wouldn't hit a hog in the *** with them.

I just got a 72 Chrysler Newport with a 400 and the previous owner installed a flowmaster in the single exhaust system. A cow farting sounds better.I can't wait to put a dual exhaust on it.Likely use the Dynomax super turbo mufflers I took off of my duster or maybe the summit stainless straight through mufflers I pulled off of my mustang years ago.

I like the Flowmaster sound, but clearly not everybody does. I think most people's problem with Flowmaster is they use too short, too small, two chamber versions.
I have a single Flowmaster on my dually, and two on my62, but they are the HUGE, long, three chamber 5 series and 7 series big block mufflers. I can hardly hear the single on the pickup, and I like the 3 1/2s on the 62.
I've also used the hooker aero, in 3 1/2. Pretty quiet, didn't care for the tone at first, when I got used to it, I like it a lot. I might end up using them on the 62, cause that system is probably 50 lbs lighter than the flows. Using magnaflow 3" looong case on my opel, they flow great, good tone. I'd use them again too.

Some pics for my other post. Flanged with turndowns. I’ll get some proper hangers on there I just wired it up real quick so I could go for a test run. Like I said it’s pretty quiet. Muffled…lol. Opposite of what I typically like. I’ll post a video soon.

IMG_5579.jpeg

IMG_5580.jpeg

Terminator was my all time favorite sounding muffler

I’m a big fan of the porters. I have them on my Caddy motor (in my truck) and they are so smooth. I just bought a 69 dart that has Flowmasters, just need to get a new blade for my saws-all and they will be going in the trash.

IMG_2491.jpeg

Terminators were "powerful" sounding!!!! Cool boxes though!! they made you wet your pants or something like that.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Welded Dynomax Ultra Flows are the best mufflers, period. Numerous tests show they flow better than the competition and in some cases, they flow as good as open exhaust and if that’s not enough, they sound amazing.

Here’s my car with full 3” exhaust, mufflers and tailpipes.

I’d like to hear anybodies opinion on the Waldron early A body commando exhaust system, if anybody has that setup. I’m going to redo the exhaust on my little commando car, and would normally buy the Accurate Exhaust setup, but Waldron is within driving distance from me, and about $500 cheaper. One catch tho, they state in their description that they were having problems with the resonator part of the system, so they now just send a tailpipe straight off the muffler. Does anybody have any experience with this setup? Or should I start my own thread to gain specific members who have them. Seeing as Tom posts a lot of info here, I thought I’d give it a shot.

Of course I can also just use my own conversion crossmember and get duals, but for $550, the Waldron seems like a good application for my car.

Waldron's folks do a great job.

I am not an expert but isn't the front muffler a resonator on these cars and the rear is the real muffler? If so, not having the rear muffler may be sort of crackly and rough sounding?

I suspect they put a real muffler up front on this system. Ruth or Jon there can tell you for sure.

Waldron's folks do a great job.

I am not an expert but isn't the front muffler a resonator on these cars and the rear is the real muffler? If so, not having the rear muffler may be sort of crackly and rough sounding?

I suspect they put a real muffler up front on this system. Ruth or Jon there can tell you for sure.
The commando exhaust setup has the resonator right at the rear bumper, and it has the big chrome tip on the end that protrudes through the rear valance. That is the part that they were having trouble with, and have replaced with a tail pipe. In my recollection, the resonator adds to the unique sound of the commando setup, and I would s husky like that feature on my car, so I may still order that from Accurate. They’re over $200 tho, which stings a little. I really appreciate all your knowledge about exhaust stuff, it certainly helps a bunch of folks when you chime in!

I know they came off the pregnant truck with them in 1985. I was there. That was also the first year for tubular headers from the factory. The mufflers did not have "FLOWMASTER" stamped into the case, but had both a Ford factory part number and the Flowmaster part number. You could also get them over the counter from the dealership and they came in factory Ford boxes.
Actually, my two 84 GT350 fox body Mustangs, bought new off the showroom floor, both had factory tubular headers on them. The 85s were the first one with roller cams. I have no idea what mufflers were on them from factory, but the last GT350 convertible that I had did have Flowmaster 40s and a full BBK dual exhaust system, including the shorty headers and hi flow cats. I really liked the sound at idle and under wot, but they did drone pretty bad at 70 mph.
I think the 83 Mustang GT was the first time they had headers from OE.

Actually, my two 84 GT350 fox body Mustangs, bought new off the showroom floor, both had factory tubular headers on them. The 85s were the first one with roller cams. I have no idea what mufflers were on them from factory, but the last GT350 convertible that I had did have Flowmaster 40s and a full BBK dual exhaust system, including the shorty headers and hi flow cats. I really liked the sound at idle and under wot, but they did drone pretty bad at 70 mph.
I think the 83 Mustang GT was the first time they had headers from OE.
In fact, now that my memory is grudgingly working, the 85 models were the first fix bodies to get a dual exhaust system. The 83 and 84 models had a single exhaust with a polished dual outlet on the driver's side.
A good friend of mine had an 85 GT with a 5 speed, fun car!

Do you run 14 inchers or 19's?
14 on a A body, 19 on my truck. Not sure I could comfortably fit the 19s on an A body. 14 is maybe a touch raspier, but not a lot different. Could just be due to the 2 different engine builds.

-
Back