opinions on hooker headers

-

prodart340

Reaction score
I will be purchasing a set of hooker super comp part #5204 to put in my swinger, anyone using them and if so any comments on fit and/or install. thanks in advance, mike

I have them on my 67 cuda and would not have them if you gave them to me free still in the box brand new.

You have to take apart the drive link and let it go through the driver side header. The #5 and #7 spark plug wire is going to get burned because of the way the tubes are bent. I struggle now keeping them off of it so they don't get burned. The drive link hits the passenger side header even though the header has been beat to to death with a hammer to dent it so it won't hit. The passenger side header hits the torsion bar sometimes and I can hear and fell it. They rust and look like crap.

The car already had them when I bought it.

I will be getting some TTI or Doug headers pretty soon and all of the above will be history. They are high but what I been through with these headers it will be well worth it.

I have them on my 67 cuda and would not have them if you gave them to me free still in the box brand new.

You have to take apart the drive link and let it go through the driver side header. The #5 and #7 spark plug wire is going to get burned because of the way the tubes are bent. I struggle now keeping them off of it so they don't get burned. The drive link hits the passenger side header even though the header has been beat to to death with a hammer to dent it so it won't hit. The passenger side header hits the torsion bar sometimes and I can hear and fell it. They rust and look like crap.

The car already had them when I bought it.

I will be getting some TTI or Doug headers pretty soon and all of the above will be history. They are high but what I been through with these headers it will be well worth it.

I think you are talking about the regular comp headers. Yeah they suck for fit and clearance! I don't think the SC's have the plug wire issues at 5 & 7. My set of SC's are in storage, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

The SC's will stomp a mudhole in tti's as far as HP output.

Dougs or tti for fit, hookers SC/Hedmans Hustlers for HP...

Mine are the 1.75 tubes. The plug wires are fine and they don't hit anything except the ground. That would be my only complaint - lack of ground clearance.

I had them on my Dart. And the 5 & 7 plug wires are to close for me. All the fitment problems everyone said too. My were the SC and when I put on the TTI's I went 1 tenth and 1 mph faster. They lasted about 4yrs and rusted through.

Fred B

All I know is this is stamped on the drivers side header. It says competition on it.

Don't mind the rust.

Hooker headers 002.jpg

I had them on my Dart. And the 5 & 7 plug wires are to close for me. All the fitment problems everyone said too. My were the SC and when I put on the TTI's I went 1 tenth and 1 mph faster. They lasted about 4yrs and rusted through.

Fred B

Yeah I'm with on the spark plug wires.

Do you mean the TTI'S rusted through after four years?

Don't forget that they look STUPID from underneath. One hangs low, while the other doesn't. Mine are coated, and they are already starting to rust. I tried to get a response from their customer service, and apparently, they don't give a rats *** about us mere consumers.
NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next time, it's TTI's for me.

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

I just put a set of coated Hooker's on my fresh 340. Yep,they were a pita to get on,and all of the other above mentioned problems,but they were less than 1/2 the price of TTI's.:?:

NEW MOTOR 3 (Small).jpg

NEW MOTOR 2 (Small).jpg

Mullinax, you have the regular competition headers. Yes those suck all the way around.

Here's a pic of the 1 3/4" super comps.

Hooker_5204__1_001.jpg

Don't be surprised if a car running Hooker SC's slows down .10-.15 going to TTi's. We saw a 28-30 HP difference on an E headed 360 running the tti steps to 1 3/4 SC's. The W2 "race" headers TTi sells were even further behind with a 394 and 416 picking up almost 40hp (39 and 37) each going with SC's or Hustlers. Torque was better throughout the range with the SC's and Huslers as well, not just peak HP. It was significant.

I got the Hooker comp's on my Duster. Yes the tubes are close
by 5&7 cyl. I now run the Autolite small plugs. # 3923. I have
angled the boots also. No problems. By the sounds of it, I was
going to get a new set of headers. I think I will just get mine
recoated.

Yep, just use an angled boot to bring the wire out away from the header, that's all.

I have a set of the #5204 headers on my Dart Sport. No plug wires problems, no ground clearence issues. You cannot run power steering with these headers. the #1 tube will hit the p/steering box. The fit is good, the steering center link has to come apart for both sides to go in. as for performance, I upgraded my whole powertrain pkg. I have ran them with a 3" pipe & crossover, & ultra-flo mufflers, with a open exhaust & 12" collector bolted on, I picked up a tenth. I would have liked to have put the TTI's on it, but didn't have budget for it. But after reading some other threads about them on comparisons, I may have not needed them.

does the wire clearance issue get better or worse with eddy heads?

The cylinder heads have nothing to do with plug wire clearence. This problem seems to be limited to the 1 5/8 headers. This can be taken care of by using 45 degree boots on the plug end, it will tuck it closer to cylinder head than the exhaust tube.

Mullinax, you have the regular competition headers. Yes those suck all the way around.

Here's a pic of the 1 3/4" super comps.

Hooker_5204__1_001.jpg

Don't be surprised if a car running Hooker SC's slows down .10-.15 going to TTi's. We saw a 28-30 HP difference on an E headed 360 running the tti steps to 1 3/4 SC's. The W2 "race" headers TTi sells were even further behind with a 394 and 416 picking up almost 40hp (39 and 37) each going with SC's or Hustlers. Torque was better throughout the range with the SC's and Huslers as well, not just peak HP. It was significant.

OK

I see the difference now. I know that for spark plug wire clearance on the ones I have they should run the pipe different or something because who wants to buy different type spark plug wires for those two plugs. I have the 90 degree plug ends and have let the wire sag down in the engine bay to keep them off of the header. It would seem a straight end plug wire would be worse.

DANG!

With that much horsepower lost going with TTI I might have to think about it some more. I want a heck alot better fitment I know that but don't want to lose that much horses.

This all I could find on the Hooker headers at Mancini.

Super Comp. Header 273 - 340 - A & F Bodies
Super Comp. Header, 64-69 Barracuda, 64-66 Dart/Valiant(A & F Bodies): 273-340, Full Length Tube 1.625" O.D. x 43", Collector Size 2.5" O.D., Collector Length 8", Port Shape: Same As Port, Black High Temp Paint.
$599.95
HKR5208

I do not want painted headers any longer. Does Hooker have SC coated headers?

I was reading the installation instructions on the TTI headers and found this,

Remove the #7 tube from the header. Insert the header into
position from under the car. Before bolting to the cylinder head, slip the rear cylinder #7 tube in between the
frame and the torsion bar into the slip-connector (lightly grease the inside of slip) of the header

From what I'm reading does that mean the header comes apart?

If it does what keeps it from leaking?

-
Back