opinions on hooker headers

-
So what sort of options are there for PS headers? The other problem I think I may run into is that the wonderful people that owned the car before me decided to replace the /6 and make their own mounts for the 318... On the plus side they look like spool mounts, but they sit on a piece of angle iron on one side and square tube on the other welded to the K member. I hate to drop big bucks on TTI's and find out that they won't fit because my engine isn't EXACTLY where it needs to be (that's at least the impression I got from reading the TTI footnotes). Are they just saying all that to cover their backs if stuff doesn't fit? I was going to try to measure up everything and see where I stand, it may not be that far off, but I don't know if I'll have issues running into the motor mounts.

So what sort of options are there for PS headers? The other problem I think I may run into is that the wonderful people that owned the car before me decided to replace the /6 and make their own mounts for the 318... On the plus side they look like spool mounts, but they sit on a piece of angle iron on one side and square tube on the other welded to the K member. I hate to drop big bucks on TTI's and find out that they won't fit because my engine isn't EXACTLY where it needs to be (that's at least the impression I got from reading the TTI footnotes). Are they just saying all that to cover their backs if stuff doesn't fit? I was going to try to measure up everything and see where I stand, it may not be that far off, but I don't know if I'll have issues running into the motor mounts.

My Hooker's cleared the PS box but not by much. But if your engine mounts are cobbled up you may very well have trouble with header tube interference. TTI don't say that just to clear their butt. The engine does need to be positioned correctly on most headers cause A-bodies are so tight. I may have a solution for you on the engine mounts I'll PM you about.

Uhhhhh Ohhhh!

I have a scatter shield but not sure that it is Lakewood or not. I know it's definitely not stock. And I thought I was all in the clear.

Yep. There are NO headers made by anyone that will fit ALL possible combinations of bellhousings, oil pans, starters, etc. You'll still find that you have to grind, tweek, or otherwise "adjust" something.

Yep. There are NO headers made by anyone that will fit ALL possible combinations of bellhousings, oil pans, starters, etc. You'll still find that you have to grind, tweek, or otherwise "adjust" something.

some very vice words, and not to forget that these cars where never put togheter with precision in the first place and they get even worse after 40 years of use and abuse

One odd thing I noticed about them though is the center ports are raised about 1/4" higher than the end ports so their not lined up real well with the head ports, the bolts line up but not the ports??? ...

I had expensive 5208's that had exactly the same problem, but the entire flange was drilled too high causing the gasket to blow at the top of every port. If I knew that I would have redrilled them, but I sold them and then noticed the problem, I forwarded the info and the buyer said no problem..thanks buyer !

This summer I installed a set of the 5204's on my 68 dart. Install wasn't bad. Some of the tubes were awful close to the steering box and shaft. Passenger side was a piece of cake. Driver's side a pain since there were clearance issues and they hang so low. Then I no more and get them in and TTI comes out with a new big tube header. I'd love to try a set of TTI's.

Since this has floated back to the top, I gotta question regardin fenderwell headers. what kinda front tire clearance limitations are there?

i have super comps on my duster the fit is next to perfect ran them for years love them i had to change to standard steering . no leaks what so ever oh ya had to run 15" rally's on all 4 corners with no road clearence probs at all i love my hooker headders

I got a set of supercomps I almost installed on my Duster.......... Almost as in, had them halfway there..........

Before I realizzed that they would drag the ground

Still have em.

-
Back