Opinions please

-
All my life seems like cash never flowed as needed! I always tried to price anything I needed to liquidate at fair price and/or cheaper. I needed the cash to pay the banker, a bill, or eat!
I always looked forward to the day I could politely tell that prospective buyer, "If my price is not fair and he feels he has to screw me, get back in his friggin truck and get the heck off my place!!!"
I am still waiting for that day 70 years later!!! LOL

Many years ago when I was running my auto upholstery business, I had a long time customer bring me a car to do a vinyl top replacement. He asked how much and I gave him my usual price.

He said that he knew of a guy doing it down the streeet doing it for 20% less. I said fine, take it to him.

He back peddled and said “oh no, I want you to do it for the same price.” I just smiled and said no.

He then said “Ok, I will let you do it for your price.”

I replied that my price just went up by 20%.

He was flabbergasted and said that wasn’t the price I had told him before.

I explained this is the new “you tried to cheat me” price and if he opened his mouth again about my price...it was going up by another 20%.

He thought about it and shut up. He paid me the extra 20% to do the job and never questioned my prices again. He remained a loyal customer for many more years.

Bravo! Free beer for you. This is EXACTLY how to handle someone like that.

Well, it would do him no good to get it back. Block cracked in three places.

Well, it would do him no good to get it back. Block cracked in three places.
great friend you are, first you overcharge him on a simple job, then you cheat him out of his block, and now you broke the darn thing just to spite him
(at least, thats the version he will be telling)

great friend you are, first you overcharge him on a simple job, then you cheat him out of his block, and now you broke the darn thing just to spite him
(at least, thats the version he will be telling)

Probably.

I bet its not the first time he's sung that song. People who know him will consider the source.

I'm not givin up. I have good rods, crank and a pair of truck heads that may be good.....probably won't use them. I know a good friend who has a few 454 blocks. I can make a 427. But.......this is a project for way later down the road. I was just trying to get all the hard parts first.

-
Back