Opinions wanted for replacement Rear Spring selection. Thank you

-
Hell yeah, the smaller bore pulls the air in faster making better cylinder fill. so even tho smaller displacement, I've heard they make the same horsepower. put a 340 air cleaner on & theyll think thats why you kicked their ***.
Most people don't get that it's all about velocity! Ohhh i flow 330.. yeah well i flow 280. but FAST!!

P.S. oops.. OP showed up.. back on topic :)

Get a set of Stock replacement springs.
Unless you want the *** end in the air.

I will post a photo of my 70. The previous owner added a single leaf to the stock springs. I think it ame from a pick up because it is quite thick. It did raise the rear but it does ride pretty solid. Not bad just pretty stiff. I would all it a 1" over stock. (at least) You can see how much tire is showing with a 255/60-15 on 15x7 wheels.

View attachment 1716283023
Looks perfect to me. Imo, Darts are harder than other Mopars to get the stance and wheel and tire combo right. This is spot on.

ESPO +1" Springs... Torque ubolts to 45ft-lb...... that was a hard lesson learned...
Ice,

Why the torque warning? Always torque anything properly. Did you under or over do it? Did the u bolts break or fall off on you? What was the lesson that you learned?

Ice,

Why the torque warning? Always torque anything properly. Did you under or over do it? Did the u bolts break or fall off on you? What was the lesson that you learned?
I over-torqued cause i'm a moron and honestly never had used a torque wrench on ubolts and never noticed a problem, springs were like buggy springs and i couldn't budge the rear end, like 1" even.. torqued them properly and it settle bout 3" and moves like butter now. It does make me wonder how much better cars in the past i had could have felt/handled..

I over-torqued cause i'm a moron and honestly never had used a torque wrench on ubolts and never noticed a problem, springs were like buggy springs and i couldn't budge the rear end, like 1" even.. torqued them properly and it settle bout 3" and moves like butter now. It does make me wonder how much better cars in the past i had could have felt/handled..
WOW, very interesting. I would have never guessed that. Once again, we learned something new.

WOW, very interesting. I would have never guessed that. Once again, we learned something new.
yeah same here.. we always just made them "tight" i honestly thought i got sent truck springs or something, it wouldn't move at all. now it's actually a bit too low..

The Jaundiced GT ('71 Dart GT) has ManciniRacing 2800lb springs on it. They were installed over 21 years ago (by the previous owner). The car also has the factory installed 8 3/4" rear end with WheelVintiques 15" X 7" (4 1/4" backspace) sbp Rallye wheels with 245/60R15s (with room for 255/60R15s (next time)).

IMG_0967.jpg

The Jaundiced GT ('71 Dart GT) has ManciniRacing 2800lb springs on it. They were installed over 21 years ago (by the previous owner). The car also has the factory installed 8 3/4" rear end with WheelVintiques 15" X 7" (4 1/4" backspace) sbp Rallye wheels with 245/60R15s (with room for 255/60R15s (next time)).

View attachment 1716286156
That sits bout perfect to me

I’m leaning hard towards the P4120864/P4120863 2800lb springs presently(lighter of the two SS springs). Can the Dart owners with SS springs post pictures of their car with height for reference. Especially the Darts as they have a much lower quarter panel wheel opening. Makes it easier to reference what my car will look like. Also if you can mention if you have 2800lb. or 3200lb. springs. What else will I need to purchase to complete the job. Front bushing are included. Will I need to upsize the front and rear hangar bolt hole and bolt size to 5/8 inch? CAn I purchase the larger size bushing kit? Do I need to purchase shackles or just reuse existing ones? Will I also need longer shocks with SS leafs? I hear KYB are good to use. Or will Monroe shocks still work? Thanks
Years ago I put 002 and 003 Super Stock springs in my '74 Dart Sport.
I needed to enlarge the front spring hanger bolt hole size from stock to 5/8''.
The shocks do need to be longer, imperial size is recommended by some people, but I bought the shocks from Mopar Performance that go with this conversion.
Another thing that you need to do is buy a longer brake hose for between the body and the diff.
I used a new one originally designed for a 1/2 ton 2wd Dodge pickup, and it worked well.
The new stock rear spring hangers and bushings fit the SS springs with no issues as is.

Yes, the car does sit substantially higher on the back end than the worn out original leaf springs, and was even higher on the passenger side.
I turned the front torsion bar up a little on the driver's side to compensate a bit.
It had the look that I was after, and I liked it a lot.
Handling? Terrible!
But they worked well for what they were designed to do and that is to launch in a straight line.
The springs did settle a bit in a couple of years, maybe as much as 1'' to 2'' overall. (I didn't measure).
I had 255 60 15 tires on it and they cleared the wheel wells very nicely.
And finally, the ride wasn't as harsh as I thought it would be...

Where in B.C. are you?
I'm originally from Cranbrook B.C. and still have my parts, project cars and shop there, but I live in Lethbridge, Alberta now.
Let me know what you decide on for springs etc. and show some before and after pics.
I have a '69 Dart that needs the same treatment...
P.M. me if you prefer.

Last edited:
Well let's see those pics. Enquiring minds want to know!
So.. this won't help this discussion much since my setup is weird but you wanted to see..

These are ESPO +1" with 30" tires (springs moved in 1/2")

The reason it won't help is, my front hangers are about 2" higher than stock so.. the springs are actually going to end up about stock height. I am going to have to actually lower the front hangers back down (gonna be a pain in the *** to do too), i need bout 1" more lift. right now the outside edge of my inners will hit on a big bump (the liner, not the lip.. Luckily they are smooth and rounded, won't cut anything but not exactly great to do)

P.S. Don't mind the light weight front end... you fender guys add too much weight to your cars (i'm working on painting them right now)

Also... what front rims should i go with? a buddy is telling me to go with black steelies but i am thinking slots or TT's.. those are old 14s on there now just to be able to roll around.
2024-08-07 19.11.31.jpg
2024-08-07 19.11.49.jpg

Last edited:
So.. this won't help this discussion much since my setup is weird but you wanted to see..

The reason it won't help is, my front hangers are about 2" higher than stock so.. the springs are actually going to end up about stock height. I am going to have to actually lower the front hangers back down (gonna be a pain in the *** to do too), i need bout 1" more lift. right now the outside edge of my inners will hit on a big bump (the liner, not the lip.. Luckily they are smooth and rounded, won't cut anything but not exactly great to do)

P.S. Don't mine the light weight front end... you fender guys add too much weight to your cars (i'm working on painting them right now)

Also... what front rims should i go with? a buddy is telling me to go with black steelies but i am thinking slots or TT's.. those are old 14s on there now just to be able to roll around.
View attachment 1716286798View attachment 1716286799
Nice car.
I would go with the Torque Thrusts in your case...

P.S. Don't mind the light weight front end... you fender guys add too much weight to your cars (i'm working on painting them right now)

View attachment 1716286798View attachment 1716286799

Love the early B-Body cars! I like the painted steel wheels (body color is my 1st choice, but you can't go wrong with black either) with a poverty cap look on these cars.

This is my buddy's '63 Dodge 440 (383, pushbutton auto, A/C)

IMG_0141.jpg

We both live in Macomb Twp. too!

Love the early B-Body cars! I like the painted steel wheels (body color is my 1st choice, but you can't go wrong with black either) with a poverty cap look on these cars.

This is my buddy's '63 Dodge 440 (383, pushbutton auto, A/C)

View attachment 1716286901

We both live in Macomb Twp. too!
I do have a set of caps... will have to see if they will fit the new rims, didn't think bout it that's a nice 63.. 62s are a bit weird

-
Back