Orange Box mounting help

-

keith9291

Reaction score
My 71 Dart came with electronic ignition, with the new motor I am going with the orange box electronic ignition. My question is, where or how to mount it. The factory ignition mounted with bolts on the corner left and right side of the box. The Orange box mounts on top and bottom. I am pretty sure I should mount it in same general location, but do I just pop new holes and tru bolt it?

IMG_02421-1.jpg

I mounted mine top right looking under the hood. Don't think I had to drill any holes mounting it this way.

This was before my MSD set up.

I got rid of the other box when I went to the MSD. Now thinking about ot I did drill holes and went with self tapping hex heads.

I mounted my box in same location on LF inner fender well. I got rid of the old one. I have never heardof running 2 boxes. Can this be done?

Any one have a 66 dart they converted? Wondering where they mounted the orange box? There's not as much room on the firewall as there is in my 71 dart. Thanks

Any one have a 66 dart they converted? Wondering where they mounted the orange box? There's not as much room on the firewall as there is in my 71 dart. Thanks

Hey man the last post to this thread was about 6 years ago, LOL

ThreadPolice.jpg

I know, but it's on topic and not really a time sensitive issue. Rather than ask, I like to search the threads. So, where did you mount your orange box??

I mounted mine on the firewall.

Attachments

• 000_0054 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 351
PLEASE do not use sheet metal screws. These boxes need to be that is to say absolutely MUST be GROUNDED

No it is mounted between the hoses and the wiper motor.

Yes, it is well grounded, been down that road and it wasn't pretty.

Rod

No conflict with the heater lines? It's hard to tell?
Thanks
Jim

As long as I'm in for paint, why can't I out the bolts inside from under the dash and tack weld the to guarantee a good ground? If it is mounted between the blower motor and heater box lines, do I need to worry about heat from the engine??

My 71 Dart came with electronic ignition, with the new motor I am going with the orange box electronic ignition. My question is, where or how to mount it. The factory ignition mounted with bolts on the corner left and right side of the box. The Orange box mounts on top and bottom. I am pretty sure I should mount it in same general location, but do I just pop new holes and tru bolt it?

if your car already had electronic ign then the orange box should bolt right to where the stock box was...

Didn't. Motor is out of a 78 Aspen going into a 66 Dart.
Any heat issues you think??

i was replying to the OP..

i put electronic ign into my 64 valiant years and years ago. put he box under hood and never had an issue with it.

LOL. The original OP posted this six years ago. I resurrected it figuring it was a timeless subject. I try to search and get what info I can rather than starting a new thread even though there are a lot of topical existing threads out there.
Thanks Joe

what screws would you use and the best way to ground the ecu box. pictures would be great. thanks bruce

Either mount someplace you can use "through" bolts, nuts and star locks, tack weld nuts behind, or solder a ground wire pigtail to the case and run that to a good ground.

Example, if you decide where to mount, pull it off and scrape a little paint off the case on the "under" side of the box, use a "big" iron / gun and solder a no14 pigtail right to the case.

this is where my orange box is located

Attachments

• DSC00165.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 249
-
Back