orange box question

-

74/6

Reaction score
I have a 1974 225 /6 with just under 60k. mi. on it. I noticed the standard ignition control does not look good. I thought I would replace it with an orange box. Should I use the standard dual balace resistor and coil? I'll get new ones, or should I up grade them also? If I need to up grade what do I get. Thanks

No need to upgrade. The orange, chrome and gold ECUs just extend the rpm range. Plus being a /6 you are not spinning high enough to see any benifit and getting more dwell anyway since you only fire the ignition 2/3 as often for a given rpm.

Just go to the local parts store and by a replacement.

I'm not a fan of the Orange box myself. It has let me down to often. However, the Chrome box has been just great for me. A simple plug in and ballast change. You done.
While I respect Dan's work on doing a HEI conversion, I just like to do a simple swap of box's and ballast.

Also, Don (Not Dan, he he he he) at FBO ( http://www.4secondsflat.com/partsindex.htm ) has a really nice ignition set up that may work out cheaper and is every bit the Chrome box if not better. I have been running his system for about 5 years everyday now. It operates perfectly. Tell'em I sent ya.

FBO has a really nice ignition set up

Meh...I donno. I have his setup on my '73. It made not a particle of difference in how the car runs compared to how it ran with ordinary stock equipment. I didn't see any of the starting, running, and driveability improvements I usually see when I upgrade to HEI. I think it's fair to say FBO's stuff can be considered very good quality replacements for stock ignition box, coil, and ballast resistor, but I'm not prepared to go beyond that in praising it.

I can and it showed. I guess it would depend on what it is on and for.

The only three letters you need to know when it comes to ignition. MSD.

I did back to back to back tests at US 41 with my Duster when it was mostly stock with a Pep Boys replacment box, an orange box, and a chrome box.

The chrome box slowed the car down 2 tenths.

The Pep Boys stocker replacement was the fastest.

I put the orange box back on my pig block Dart and it died a couple weeks later.

MSD fan here too.

I'm not a fan of the Orange box myself. It has let me down to often. However, the Chrome box has been just great for me. A simple plug in and ballast change. You done.
While I respect Dan's work on doing a HEI conversion, I just like to do a simple swap of box's and ballast.

Also, Don (Not Dan, he he he he) at FBO ( http://www.4secondsflat.com/partsindex.htm ) has a really nice ignition set up that may work out cheaper and is every bit the Chrome box if not better. I have been running his system for about 5 years everyday now. It operates perfectly. Tell'em I sent ya.

Did you buy the VR-1?

One thing with the slant 6 I don't like with msd is they to my knowledge they do not make a distributer for it.

Mallory makes a distributer and i'm sure their ignition boxes are ok.

I never had a Mopar box fail until I "upgraded" to the orange boxes on two cars. They both failed. I went bax to the original replacement on my slant and put the old blue box (which requires the dual rsistor) on the other car and have no issues.

-
Back