Original 340 Exhaust Systems Help

-
They are stock...2 1/4" to the mufflers and 1 7/8" from the mufflers back, identical to original.
Stock tips fit perfectly.
You can opt for stock mufflers which sound just like a '69 340 or they offer a louder performance muffler
as well.Stock is quite quiet until you step on it.I like mine!

what's an updraft? new to me

"Updraft" describes the way the stock HP cast iron manifolds sweep upwards as opposed to the regular log type style for better exhaust flow. Not sure about every HP motor but they were placed on many HP motors. The small block manifolds in particular were a rare piece to find. Maybe you know this but didn't use this term before....

They are stock...2 1/4" to the mufflers and 1 7/8" from the mufflers back, identical to original.
Stock tips fit perfectly.
You can opt for stock mufflers which sound just like a '69 340 or they offer a louder performance muffler
as well.Stock is quite quiet until you step on it.I like mine!

Thanks. I did call Don's. Quite a bit more money but he seems to know the exact bends for the pipes. I didn't know the pipes reduced on one side? Flare back out again?

Did your left side reduce and flare back out as opposed to the right? Think that's what he said....

I will see if I can get in touch with the vendor on Ebay.

stainless just doesn't look right on a restoration.Aluminized is correct and mine looks like new after 5 years use.
I don't drive in salt or snow either.

Aluminized exhaust is not factory correct.

Thanks for this info. I will give these vendors a call.

Does anyone know what's out there for the cast iron updrafts manifolds? Treatments?
Small blocks didn't have a choice. 273 and 318's got one number of manifold and 340 360 got another depending on year and model. The "updraft" you talk about is probably what you see on the drivers side. That design was for fit not for performance. The passenger side manifolds were not the "updraft" design as you call them.

Thanks. I did call Don's. Quite a bit more money but he seems to know the exact bends for the pipes. I didn't know the pipes reduced on one side? Flare back out again?

Did your left side reduce and flare back out as opposed to the right? Think that's what he said....

I will see if I can get in touch with the vendor on Ebay.

Original exhaust drivers side was 2" until it passed the torsion bar and then 2 1/4" to the muffler like the passenger side.Car nut corrected me on the originals not being aluminum and mild steel but didn't say what the originals were.Aluminum/mild steel looks stock.I don't know if mine are reduced to 2" at the torsion bar?

Just read that original exhaust was usually 400 series carbon steel and as Car Nut says not aluminized.

According to Don's he can't bend stainless because you need a special machine to bend stainless pipes that is very expensive. I looked at TTI and didn't see a stock system without the "H" or "X". But I didn't call yet. TTI lists a 2.5 & 3 system. That could really squeeze things underneath. Accurate looks like a good system too. So far the system on ebay is the best price but I didn't get an answer from the vendor yet about the system. Don's is in the middle price range. I can't bring myself to installing a plain carbon system. The rust would drive me nuts and I do plan on driving it. Not a trailer queen.

i don't think you can even buy a plain steel exhaust today?
H pipes were installed on some big blocks by the factory.They made the exhaust a bit quieter and allowed the factory to install less restrictive mufflers for a modest power gain.

-
Back