OT, any refrigerator techs here?

-

MOBodyman

Reaction score
Just gotta ask, seems like there is someone on here who knows something about any topic lol. :salute:

My sister's 7 year old Frigidaire refrigerator started freezing food in the main storage compartment. She hadn't changed the control settings. Changing the temp setting to a 'warmer' setting made it quit freezing the food but then she noticed it was running all the time. She said ordinarily it would run, then shut off for quite a long time. The temp in the freezer compartment is 10 degrees.

There are separate controls for the freezer and main compartments. I don't want to just start throwing parts at it as the controls are over $100 each.
How do I diagnose the problem?
TIA,
Dallas

Attachments

• 25LWFUOB.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 180
check to see if the coil are frozen.....especially if it is running all the time...

had a upright freezer do that...had to defrost it completely to get it working again..

check to see if the coil are frozen.....especially if it is running all the time...

had a upright freezer do that...had to defrost it completely to get it working again..

I pulled it out to check that but the main part of the back is enclosed and there is no way to access the coils. I did clean all the dust out of the parts down at the bottom.
Thanks for the response,
Dallas

Check and make sure the defrost timer isn't stuck in defrost mode. I have fixed a lot of refrigerators by simply inserting a screw driver in the slot and twisting it around several time to get it unstuck.

Tom a/k/a dustermaniac only this site is a professional repairman.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/member.php?u=12002

Bill, I think that is part #23 in the pic I attached. Look similar to any of the ones you've fixed?

Bigger pic here;
http://www.partselect.com/PS2581557...e=1&SearchTerm=FRS6LR5EW6&ModelNum=FRS6LR5EW6

I may have to pm dustermaniac in a bit.
Thanks for your help,
Dallas

You've been given some good advice. Here, generally are the issues with home refrigerators.

Usually, the one "control" is nothing more than a damper door between the freezer and bottom compartment, controlling air flow

There is normally only one actual eletrical thermostat

Defrost timer can fail. This builds ice around the coil, stops airflow, and stops cooling to fridge section. I'm sure by now most timers are electronic instead of mechanical clock motors.

Plugged drain.....blocks up water, prevents coil from defrosting, and builds ice.

Leaky door gaskets.....lets in wet humid air, which condenses and freezes around coil, builds ice. In addition, causes unit to run longer, building more ice

Fan.......circulates air through coil, and forces part of that air down into fridge. If fan is dirty, bearings gummy, motor failing or failed, no airflow.

Failed defrost heater.......obviously prevents coil from defrosting, building ice

21 23 115 part 21 is the cold control for fresh food side. Part 23 is the main control board that controls the defrost ,fan,lights damper. Ect ect . And part 115 is the damper door that part 23 & 21 control to regulate the temp for the fresh food side. One of these parts has failed when you turn 21 down it should close the damper and up should open the damper. There are a lot of them models that are out of freon . So finding a complete used control should be easy . I would find a used appliance store and see if you can find parts used . This refrigerator does not have a defrost timer. It has adaptive defrost control ,part 23 in your pic

21 23 115 part 21 is the cold control for fresh food side. Part 23 is the main control board that controls the defrost ,fan,lights damper. Ect ect . And part 115 is the damper door that part 23 & 21 control to regulate the temp for the fresh food side. One of these parts has failed when you turn 21 down it should close the damper and up should open the damper. There are a lot of them models that are out of freon . So finding a complete used control should be easy . I would find a used appliance store and see if you can find parts used . This refrigerator does not have a defrost timer. It has adaptive defrost control ,part 23 in your pic

Thanks for this info also. Is there any way for a dumb bodyman like me to tell if it's low on refrigerant? BTW, sis lives an hour away so I'll have to do any diagnostic work when I go back in a couple of days.

I worried about it running constantly that it might burn the compressor up.

Should she just call a repairman in? I'm trying to help her since she is tapped out taking care of my Mom.

Thanks to all who have replied, I have to take off for awhile. I'll check back in later.
Dallas

Very very doubtful if the freezer is cold, that it's a refrigeration problem

Sounds like a bad Cold Control. Part #21and 21A That's the first thing I would replace. Not hard to do at all. Remember to ALWAYS unplug the appliance from electric outlet before servicing.

I'm thanking if its only 10 in the freezer that its leaking refrigerant . One way you can tell is pull the back plate in the freezer compartment were the evaporator is located . If its not freezing the complete evaporator and only has half are less frozen then its low.

I'm thanking if its only 10 in the freezer that its leaking refrigerant . One way you can tell is pull the back plate in the freezer compartment were the evaporator is located . If its not freezing the complete evaporator and only has half are less frozen then its low.

I was wondering if it could be getting low on refrigerant. Are you saying this plate is inside the unit? You sure can't access anything from the outside. It has a metal cover that you apparently can't take off unless you take the side panels loose also.
Thanks again,
Dallas

It needs to be reading 0 are below . And the panel is the back wall of the freezer compartment . Down low first 2 foot are so you will see screws that hold the panel on remove the racks and bottom basket in freezer to access the panel . And you will find the evaporator coils like stated before it should have a light covering of frost on it , if only part of it has frost then its low on freon. If its frozen solid then it has defrost problem. Ps I have been working on small appliances for over 15 years . Pm me for phone number and I will try walking you threw it over the phone .

-
Back