Over heated and she just whont run the same

-

slipyoke

Reaction score
Im pretty new to Mopar and the dang first thing i do is run my 76 duster with the 318 into the ground. I feel like such a jack ***. I was driving down I5 and i (on accident) droped her into 2nd gear for a little longer than it should have been. Well it over heated and lost most all of its coolent. I got her home and started to try and fix my failure. i filled her up with coolent pulled all the spark plugs and cleaned them up two of wich were tottally collapsed. It burned some oil needless to say but it apears that there is no coolent getting into the oil. it isnt blowing bad smoke out the exhaust but the breather on the valve cover that goes to the air intak is blowing a bit of smoke and all the while she is miss firing. when i get her started i can drive but getting her started is tough. Oh and before all this my damn carb floats were sticking so i dont know if that has added to the problem or not. ugh some one help.

the smoke is whiteish and its not sweet smelling for sure. The arch fell down on to diode is what i meant by collapsed spark plug.

pull the oil fill cap off and see how much blow by you have coming out.
Put new plugs in and I am like homecloned What do you mean by the plugs collapsed ?
I seen a 360 blow a head gasket and it blew the dip stick out, Do you have pressure or air coming out the dip stick?

If the side electrode is mashed down to the center electrode, it's probably time to pull the heads. Something had to hit the plugs.

After i replaced the plugs and drove it about 10 miles i checked them again and they were good the diode didnt fall down again. when i pull the oil cap there is a good amount of blow by coming out for sure.

ive never buzzed anything before but i need the help.

how hot did it get, are you trying to say the strap on the plug was straight out from the electrode

The plug should not do that without some thing hitting it. If water got into the cylinder then yes it could happen. Have you drained the oil? The water may have settled in the pan and you cant notice it. I am thinking headgasket at least.

Yeah... that aint overheating by itself. Something hit... Do a leakdown first. Overheating can mess up seats and rings, and scuff pistons. If there is 100% on the holes where the plugs got hit you found the problem. Once you have those numbers I would pull the head of the hole(s) that hit if there isnt a 100% result. You may have damaged a piston too.

i wonder if maby this car belonged to a little old lady full of carbon and a cloged up rad. and this buzzing (im gess that means over winding)mit have broke some lose.that would bend the plugs.

Some of you guys really need to learn how to spell. Some of these posts do not make any sense with the words you are using.

Geez Jim, as far as typos go this post is an "A+". I usually proofread but not always, and I'm not the best typist in the steno pool.

Slipyoke,
Let's see if we can bring this back around to on topic...
Have you done your compression test yet? Changed oil yet?
You said that it now has a miss and starts hard, have you double (or triple) checked your plug wires? Make sure you didn't cross any of them.
C

-
Back