Over my head…

-

808-dartGT

Reaction score
I tackled my top by myself, getting all kind of wrinkle.. at the moment left it outside to see if it evens out a little is the sun. Kinda mad at myself, but I don’t know any shops that can do it here and let me tell you, if I had friends I would definitely asked for help… not happy ..

E4EFD2ED-DA8C-4FAC-9DE0-2E26CEF6D06B.jpeg

9A8F3232-9C87-4996-B5C2-D42B90604B04.jpeg

832AFF03-9474-4D91-9597-F8599290E13C.jpeg

65A47030-DF14-4DDF-A3CD-70C3041ABB58.jpeg

I tackled my top by myself, getting all kind of wrinkle.. at the moment left it outside to see if it evens out a little is the sun. Kinda mad at myself, but I don’t know any shops that can do it here and let me tell you, if I had friends I would definitely asked for help… not happy ..

View attachment 1716113075

View attachment 1716113076

View attachment 1716113077

View attachment 1716113078
I get it......"808" for the area code that covers all of Hawaii.

I think you guys are too kind, I’ll try steamer, if not, heat gun. I’m kinda scared of heat gun, don’t want to burn it

I think you guys are too kind, I’ll try steamer, if not, heat gun. I’m kinda scared of heat gun, don’t want to burn it
Use it on low and be careful. Keep it moving and be patient, don't hurry it. I think it looks fine. It'll probably smooth out from the sun.

Yes steamer! Sorry. Glad you caught that lol. See if I did it, it would be a melted pos by now lol.
Remember we are our own worst critics.

You live in Hawaii, no complaining! Honestly, you did a great job considering you had the balls to tackle that job all by yourself. 65'

Yep. Nobody irons their shirts no more. The kids wear pajamas to school.
Hell, mothers wear pajamas everywhere... Including court..

As others mentioned the top looks pretty good & should look better after some time in the sun.... Living in Hawaii you should be able to find some sun....

Besides your supposed to drive around with the top down... Only putting it up for the occasional rain event (8-10 times a day).....:thumbsup:

Jan 2020, professional shop.

Just above the glass and left.

MVIMG_20200301_131613.jpg

The wrinkle is still there.

My solution...

Top down 24/7!

I tried steaming and I left it in the sun for now. Maybe I will get used to it or it will even out a little. I really appreciate great input and support, I think steamer really helps vinyl to loosen up and stretch. I’ll try few times and see how it looks.
Jokes aside, I want top up on those hot days or when you park, I’m not a tourist to drive topless with sunburn 27/7

I also try to make it look good, not just “I did it myself so it’s good enough “ you don’t hear anyone brag “I tuned the car and it runs like crap, but I did it myself so it’s good enough “

Well, it's a convertible. It's a CLOTH TOP. Ain't no way it's not gonna have SOME wrinkles. I'd drive it and have fun!

I feel better, thank you, maybe I was overthinking
Well, it ain't ever gonna be straight as a metal roof so I wouldn't worry with it. I think it looks fine! I did one when I was a kid on an old Triumph Spitfire and it had a few wrinkles but they came almost all out after it had been in the sun a while. I bet it'll get better.....but either way, have fun with it!

I am going to put a top on soon for the first time on my 65 Dart. I am going to take the plunge to install myself. My top is electric not manual. I removed the frame years ago and had recently put it back on. I thought I marked the locations of main control prop link brackets but time made the locations disappear (see Fig. 130 in service manual) Had to readjust the height of the top to align with the tops of glass door and qtrs. If you have a service manual go to section 23, page 59 it explains how to adjust. Bottom line is... perhaps the top frame is sitting too low thus causing wrinkles in multiple area's all over the top. Just my two cents. I have my doubts that my will turn out without wrinkles. The jackass who put the top on my car previously didn't use the retainer strips to hold top material in place just the belt chrome. Gotta make my own.

I am going to put a top on soon for the first time on my 65 Dart. I am going to take the plunge to install myself. My top is electric not manual. I removed the frame years ago and had recently put it back on. I thought I marked the locations of main control prop link brackets but time made the locations disappear (see Fig. 130 in service manual) Had to readjust the height of the top to align with the tops of glass door and qtrs. If you have a service manual go to section 23, page 59 it explains how to adjust. Bottom line is... perhaps the top frame is sitting too low thus causing wrinkles in multiple area's all over the top. Just my two cents. I have my doubts that my will turn out without wrinkles. The jackass who put the top on my car previously didn't use the retainer strips to hold top material in place just the belt chrome. Gotta make my own.
I’ll look into that, but I don’t think so, old top didn’t have wrinkles like that, but same time it was different brand And I never removed or readjusted frame. Seemed a little thinner. Another thing I learned that off white or white top is very unforgiving, every little scratch shows and there’s no way to repair it gracefully. But it does make car way cooler

-
Back