Over my head…

-
Say, are you the one who posted sunrise pictures from Hawaii? I have been trying to get my hands on some of that special Hawaiian coffee I forget the name of it. Any chance I could get you to send me some?

Run it! Looks Great!
My son and I put the top on his car by ourselves and have never cussed, shoved and thrown things at each other more than that project. I have all kinds of respect for people that can do this. I've rebuild transmissions, engines, final drives in hydraulic equipment, pumps, diesel engines, rear ends multi piece torque converters and built 3 phase electrical systems and NOTHING was more frustrating than trying to figure out how to get that MF'in top to go on and why those GD wirinkles kept moving! Still looks like dog shart and we have decided to not drive it in the rain!

I have a truck with the headliner hanging down and after that project have decided to simply rip it out and run it when it completely falls!

Say, are you the one who posted sunrise pictures from Hawaii? I have been trying to get my hands on some of that special Hawaiian coffee I forget the name of it. Any chance I could get you to send me some?
Never even considered that I could buy the coffee here. Duh! LOL. I agree with some of the others it looks pretty good to me. If you're not happy with it I would let the sun work on it for a while and see what you end up with before you try anything else. Good luck, Dave

sure, I can get you coffee , there’s few kinds, do you remember where you bought it? Was it grocery store or ABC store?

“How did you determined the amount of pull you used when cinching down the area of the qtr glass to the top deck area? And was the top warmed up sun wise? Just curious.... Top header loose when stretching?“

I started by measuring old top and making marks with a blue tape where it sat and how far it went. I don’t think I would’ve tried if I only had a frame to start with… probably would still …
when I did quarter panel attachments and back stretching I had small cardboard box between windshield and front bow propping up about 3 inches

No sense beating yourself up over it. Its ok anything is fixable. Perhaps a bit more pull on sides above qtr panels will help side wrinkles. New locations for retainer holes might be necessary? maybe...Anyway is testy. I Just know I will be headed in that direction.

You replaced your top. I'm hoping you noticed how the well liner was attached. Is it glued to the body edge under the chrome belt strips? or under the body edge? I have no idea how the liner goes in the well area. How does it attach on all areas?...You have any photos by chance?

You replaced your top. I'm hoping you noticed how the well liner was attached. Is it glued to the body edge under the chrome belt strips? or under the body edge? I have no idea how the liner goes in the well area. How does it attach on all areas?...You have any photos by chance?
Well liner was installed first and glass and top right on top of it. There was another channel under the chrome trim, it has screws that holds the top in place and kinda keeps hr trim from collapsing if you over tighten it. Seems to me that chrome trim is mainly to cover other trim and to add buttons- not so much for holding top down. Liner had some glue around the edge. Sorry, I didn’t take picture…

Thanks for responding. I made a plastic retainer that i fitted under the body lip, then sandwiched the liner material to the body. Then I will only be putting the top and curtain under a different retainer which I made out of aluminum strip stock. When I got my Dart someone left off retainers and just screwed the liner, top material, and the curtain under the belt chrome... It has been a timely job....
I have no clue how the liner goes in the mechanism area. Will just let it hang for now. Unless someone post photos of this area. It appears that I will have to estimate where the drains go. My liner was made 15 years ago by the guy who did my upholstery. He took my old liner apart and copied it.

Thanks for responding. I made a plastic retainer that i fitted under the body lip, then sandwiched the liner material to the body. Then I will only be putting the top and curtain under a different retainer which I made out of aluminum strip stock. When I got my Dart someone left off retainers and just screwed the liner, top material, and the curtain under the belt chrome... It has been a timely job....
I have no clue how the liner goes in the mechanism area. Will just let it hang for now. Unless someone post photos of this area. It appears that I will have to estimate where the drains go. My liner was made 15 years ago by the guy who did my upholstery. He took my old liner apart and copied it.
I’ll try to take some pictures, I have no idea if I did it right, but I copied what I had before

I don’t know if this help

9C69926C-4743-43A0-BC57-93E24E25A70A.jpeg

1F855C37-A520-4BC3-8A92-A69FAAB43E7A.jpeg

DD2F9C4E-4563-4E9D-8E5E-0CB908453B74.jpeg

Thanks for taking the time for photos. I do appreciate it...it appears that the liner material just lays where it lays. Not attaching to anything. I have really struggled with this liner. Top comes next... You know what lies ahead...

Another question.... you have installed the top yourself....On the side of the top at the belt line and the quarter window...does the top material go on the inside of the quarter panel about 11 inches then crosses onto top side of quarter panel edge between panel and the retainer?

-
Back