P1740 code on 02 ram, help?

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
I just acquired an 02 ram 2500 with a 5.9L Magnum, and 46re auto trans. It has a check engine light on, and the code is P1740. If I interpret it correctly, the code means that the torque converter clutch lacks parity, which I am guessing means that when the converter is supposed to lock up it's not locking up 100%, so there is some slippage being sensed. I have driven it about a 100 miles, and it seems ok, but I don't want to make it worse, or more expensive to fix.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is my first experience with a potential lockup failure. Can any of you guys suggest how I should approach this? What are the most likely scenarios.
Oh yeah, it has 118k miles on the truck.

My boys has it now...this is after I have rebuilt the trans and put all new electronics in it...I gave up and he drives it everyday. The damn convertor doesnt lock up at all and its new (rebuilt). Thing works great other than convertor not locking up. It locked up when I put it in but few hundred miles later just stopped locking up...oh well

I don't know about your code but I had a diesel truck that wouldn't go in overdrive. It was a temperature sending unit on the cooler line. It won't allow the overdrive to engage until the fluid was up to temp. I replaced that sender and all was well

I've been looking up some p1740 fixes on YouTube, and I'm struck by how vague and nebulous this code is. It seems as though there are many, many "fixes" for this. Some are very invasive into the trans, with limited success. In some instances, it has been remedied with seemingly unrelated (to me, anyway) small part replacements. I guess I'll start with a fluid and filter change, and go from there. Because of the mileage, it's due for that, anyway. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

Don't forget the Lucas. That's good stuff.

The first two things that are listed as causes are low transmission fluid and dirty transmission fluid. What "I" would do. Change the fluid and filter and add this...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-10...edirectid=15627623884185762570310090302008005

That's about the cheapest thing to start with and it just might fix it.

I never use any kind of additive in the trans as I worked in a trans shop for about 5 years and, you wouldnt believe what that stuff does to the seals inside. Swells them up like balloons and makes them spongy. I always say it was made to work with just trans fluid so if it doesnt there is something else wrong and, there is no miracle in a can...

I never use any kind of additive in the trans as I worked in a trans shop for about 5 years and, you wouldnt believe what that stuff does to the seals inside. Swells them up like balloons and makes them spongy. I always say it was made to work with just trans fluid so if it doesnt there is something else wrong and, there is no miracle in a can...

No sir. The Lucas is good stuff. I ran a transmission shop office for almost three years. They put Lucas additive in all of them. I'll agree, there's some snake oil out there for sure, but that Lucas is good. I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

Don't know if anything has changed in regards to 1999-2001,or 02 Dodge trannies. But I wouldn't run anything but Mopar ATF+4 tranny fluid. it's a full synthetic fluid, and back then it was known that "other" tranny fluids did not work in those finnicky trannies. I went thru transmission hell with my trucks back then, and learned the hard way. Use "ATF+4.
Dave

-
Back