Painting a plastic stering wheel??

-

racerbob

Reaction score
I have a 67 cuda convertible with a dark blue steering wheel, which has a few cracks in it.

I came across a black steering wheel from a 1968 cuda that is in very good shape. How difficult would it be to paint the 68 wheel blue to match interior in my 67 cuda? The wheels look about the same except the horn ring is different , but appears that came be switched over.

Bob

I put a Grant wood wheel on my car. But before I did I painted my stock one. I just sanded it down and then hit it with some spray can primer then paint then some clear. Turned out nice. I don't know how well it will hold up where your hands are all the time though. I had mine in my car for about a year and a half before I changed it out and it was still looking good. I was thinking of puting one of thouse leather tie on wheel pads on it but could never find one the color I liked so I ended up geting the wheel I have on the car now.

Good luck
Russell

For anyone considering a leather steering wheel cover, I strongly suggest you take a look at www.wheelskins.com.
I put one on my '95 Dodge Ram stock steering wheel about 6 years ago and love it. It doesn't have that funky wrap-around diagonal vinyl lacing - it actually looks like a stitched-leather cover, fits great, and feels 'right'.
They're pricier than the cheap stuff, but well worth it.

If you want good paint that will last and look good.Krylon fushion for plastic,pvc,hard vinyl,ceramic,glass,metal,wood,wicker.No sanding or priming needed.It out last everything.wide range of colours also.

Finding any cover that will fit the diameter of our OEM wheel today is impossible. Have you tried to fix the cracks in the blue wheel ?

Finding any cover that will fit the diameter of our OEM wheel today is impossible. Have you tried to fix the cracks in the blue wheel ?

FWIW I bought a cover for my Fury's steering wheel from Wheelskins. They get you any size you need. It was a little tricky to install but it looked and felt great. A huge improvement over a cracked wheel. The wheel on my Barracuda is not cracked and I'm afraid it would crack in the process of lacing up a cover. Otherwise I would buy from them again.

If you want good paint that will last and look good.Krylon fushion for plastic,pvc,hard vinyl,ceramic,glass,metal,wood,wicker.No sanding or priming needed.It out last everything.wide range of colours also.
i have to back the man up on this... best paint i ever used.

No I have not tried to fix the existing wheel, I figuring I would try to paint the black one before I deal with filling and sanding of the 1/8" gap in the original wheel.

Thanks,

Bob

-
Back