Paxton supercharger

-
Anybody running a paxton supercharger on an RB?
Any opinions?
Don't know how Paxton flow would compare to "Vortec si", but guy is selling on ebay, becuse it could only make 5 psi on a 455 poncho. Good Luck, ateam.:pale:

Thanks,
I have that article and have read it several times.
Procharger is about $7500.00 vs $4000 for Paxton
The Paxton is more affordable but going back 10 years had terrible reviews with quality and service?
Paxton was bought out by Vortech and it looks like its a different company with its act together!! Paxton answers my Emails and are responsive on the phone. I am just looking for a little more assurance.
I know I could get a 6-71 roots working but the centrigigul works better for my application.Roots generates to much heat for roade racing. Just don't know much about the Centrifigul blowers? I'm learning

Thanks,
I have that article and have read it several times.
Procharger is about $7500.00 vs $4000 for Paxton
The Paxton is more affordable but going back 10 years had terrible reviews with quality and service?
Paxton was bought out by Vortech and it looks like its a different company with its act together!! Paxton answers my Emails and are responsive on the phone. I am just looking for a little more assurance.
I know I could get a 6-71 roots working but the centrigigul works better for my application.Roots generates to much heat for roade racing. Just don't know much about the Centrifigul blowers? I'm learning

For what it's worth,a close friend has one on his Ram SRT10,and has put the paxtons on a number of other Mopars as well,and has had no problems at all !!He has installed used systems and has needed special parts,and the people at Paxton have taken care of his needs !!! :cheers:

Keep us posted on what you decide, Id like to supercharge my Dart if I keep it..

Keep us posted on what you decide, Id like to supercharge my Dart if I keep it..

I put a Vortech S-trim V-1 on my virtually stock 360 Magnum and concurrently went from340 cast iron exhaust manifolds to TTI stepped headers, and a Chinese Air Gap copy. My quarter mile times went from 13.35 to Mid-11's and 102-MPH to 118. RWHP went from 260 to 445. This was with 10 pounds of boost in a 3,400-pound car

Made a different car out of it...

No problems so far.

Attachments

• 100_3266.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2,921
  • 100_3092.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2,369
Vortech purchased Paxton a couple years ago from what i have read. Seems like a first rate company now from recent reviews and personal contacts that I have made.
If my electric fuel pump had a problem -quit- What could I do to shut my engine down before it leans out.There is a great article in MOPARMUSCLE about a guy that put a Procharger on a Buetifull Challenger. But he had a fuel problem twice and toasted his motor twice and once his Edy heads??? He quickly rebiult everything both times. His supercharged 440 eventually dyno'd at 856HP I'm on a budget and a blown motor means I'm racing around in my wifes sporty beetle with the flower in the middle???(sad) all summer' I am only planning on running 8psi or so if I go supercharger
Proba

I think guys get into problems they think they can just bolt on a supercharger and rig up their own carb. I think that your best bet would be to let that style of a carb be built by a pro , one of the best is CSU and they can build a carb that isnt goint to lean out the motor as long as you have a very good boost referenced fuel system (which is big bucks too). This is one area that you dont want to skimp on to save a buck. Plan on a couple grand for a good carb and fuel system done right that wont lean out your engine.

http://www.csucarbs.com/750.html

Also you can get a wideband o2 air/fuel meter to keep an eye on air fuel ratio , and some come with a warning system when it gets too lean

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/Products.htm

O2 sensor is a good idea??
I 'm thinking about your txt and I shoild probally just go with some head work and a bigger cam.
I probally can't afford to do it right . I will end up with out a car AGAIN this summer.
Bill Dedman's DARTis just to cool though. Wow what a sleeper!

Bill Dedman-looks like you have methenol injection also ???
What fuel pump and carb are you using??
I am on the fence sir. I am a little short of the cohoney's but close

Thank you

Bill Dedman- I just clicked on your avatar and read about your car. Answered all my questions.
BAd A$$
You have spent some duckits and sure looks like Fun. Nice Car!
I am not ready for a supercharger this season

O2 sensor is a good idea??
I 'm thinking about your txt and I shoild probally just go with some head work and a bigger cam.
I probally can't afford to do it right . I will end up with out a car AGAIN this summer.
Bill Dedman's DARTis just to cool though. Wow what a sleeper!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for the very kind words... but my "Dart" is in reality, a
'72 Valiant 4-door sedan...8)

Attachments

• 100_3092.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2,208
Bill Dedman- I just clicked on your avatar and read about your car. Answered all my questions.
BAd A$$
You have spent some duckits and sure looks like Fun. Nice Car!
I am not ready for a supercharger this season

I appreciate the nice compliment! I have recently been working on a project that promises to be a lot more fun, though; a '64 Valiant 4-door sedan with a 1964 slant six plus a 66mm turbocharger for the strip. Hopefully, it will be somewhat faster than the V8 car.

Talk's cheap; we'll see!!!:read2:

Bill Dedman-looks like you have methenol injection also ???
What fuel pump and carb are you using??
I am on the fence sir. I am a little short of the cohoney's but close

Thank you

The methanol injection I use is a Stage One (cheapest they sell) Snowperformance Boost Cooler, from a company in Colorado. It was $300.00, but seems to work very well to prevent detonation. It can be used with water, windshield washer fluid, or a percentage of methanol from 1% right on up to 100%. I have mine set to come on at 3 pounds of boost, (that part is adjustable, even on the entry-level units,) and that seems to work okay on my engine.

They have other, more expensive units that are more flexible, for people with more money, but this basic unit was all I could afford, and it does the job, nicely.

My carburettor is a "Carb Shop" (Ontario, CA) unit, modified for blow-thru... a 750 Double-Pumper Holley. $900.00 (!).

I am nosin around again! I want to do something different?
I think I can afford the Paxton set-up, Carb and Methanol kit.
Why did you go Vortech vs Paxton or Procharger? I am always forgeting to turn my fuel pump on/off. Leaning out my motor is my last hurdle
An O2 sensor was suggested?
What about a fuel pressure switch that shuts down the ignition???
This would solve the problem of a fuel pump failure or bonehead mistake.
I drive the car on Road racing courses so I might not visually notice a problem denoted by the fuel pres. guage quick enough.

I am nosin around again! I want to do something different?
I think I can afford the Paxton set-up, Carb and Methanol kit.
Why did you go Vortech vs Paxton or Procharger? I am always forgeting to turn my fuel pump on/off. Leaning out my motor is my last hurdle
An O2 sensor was suggested?
What about a fuel pressure switch that shuts down the ignition???
This would solve the problem of a fuel pump failure or bonehead mistake.
I drive the car on Road racing courses so I might not visually notice a problem denoted by the fuel pres. guage quick enough.

Got a brand new V-1, S-trim Vortech head unit, still in the box, off ebay for $1,000.00... way cheaper than any of the others, and money talks (to me, anyway) so I had the head unit, but had to then build a mounting plate and an idler pulley. The guy who sold me the head unit GAVE me a crank pulley that worked for me. I didn't have an intercooler, hence the Snowperformance Boost Cooler, which turned out to work really well.

I also bought an "MSD BoostMaster," spark controller, which contains an analog ignition module to replace your orange or chrome box, and provides 42,000 volts of juice to the plugs, and has a dash-mounted control knob for retarding the spark, either one, two, or three degrees (up to fifteen degrees) for every pound of boost the engine gets.

Blow thru carbs were not in abundance at that tim,e (2005) so I bought a 750 Holley double pumper from the Carb Shop in Ontario, CA, and had them modify it for blow-thru operation (a $900.00 bill)!!!

One of the most expensive things I had to do was a totally new half-inch fuel system. I don't trust electric fuel pumps, so I built TWO fuel systems which are separte from each other, but can be switched in about a minute of turning valves aand flipping a couple of pump switches.

I used rubber, push-on (NHRA approved,) half-inch hoses and A-N fittings, and it wasn't cheap, but I won't get stranded because of a bad electric fuel pump. That elaborate fuel system cost me about a thousand dollars... no kidding. :(

I put pump gas in my original tank for steet use (and, to drive the 60-miles to the strip) and race gas in the fuel cell, and change over to the good stuff when I get to the drag strip.

Dunno if these pictures will load, but I'll try...

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• valleave3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,311
  • 100_1922.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,266
  • 100_2847-1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,312
  • 100_2830-2.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2,338
  • 100_3266.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2,237
Here's a picture of that serpentine supercharger drive belt pulley that that guy guy gave me (he also gave me tons of good advice!). That pulley nests inside the V-Belt pulleys that continue to drive the accessories; the serpentine belt only drives the blower.

Attachments

• pullley.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 2,340
You are pretty handy!! I like the dual battery set-up. .
I may try and do some of my own fabricating also. I really do not like the supercharger on the passenger side of a big block. This is the busy side of my motor, alternator, MSD distributor, Fuel filter, Pres regulator, top radiator hose.(have to change my radiator Be-Cool $700.00) I machined my own cool alternator brackets and pulley;s, polished and clear coated. Plus my battery is in the trunk. Lots of room on drivers side. Wide open I could store my lunch box. Thats how Paxton and procharger offer there kits-passenger side w alt relocated
I might just buy the head unit and fabricate an AL plate??? I CAN DO IT!
I've been a machinist for 25 years with full axcess to a machine shop.
Looking at what you have done and your pioneering spirit has giving me some confidence
Do you have any pics of your idler pulley bracket???Thanks

You are pretty handy!! I like the dual battery set-up. .
I may try and do some of my own fabricating also. I really do not like the supercharger on the passenger side of a big block. This is the busy side of my motor, alternator, MSD distributor, Fuel filter, Pres regulator, top radiator hose.(have to change my radiator Be-Cool $700.00) I machined my own cool alternator brackets and pulley;s, polished and clear coated. Plus my battery is in the trunk. Lots of room on drivers side. Wide open I could store my lunch box. Thats how Paxton and procharger offer there kits-passenger side w alt relocated
I might just buy the head unit and fabricate an AL plate??? I CAN DO IT!
I've been a machinist for 25 years with full axcess to a machine shop.
Looking at what you have done and your pioneering spirit has giving me some confidence
Do you have any pics of your idler pulley bracket???Thanks

This is about as good as I can do. I didn't make that bracket. I can't remember where I bought it, but it was cheap. A spring-loaded idler is probably better, but I got in a hurry....

Attachments

• 100_1957.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 2,399
Thanks
You have had your system up and running for 5 yrs w no major problems?\
I saw the date of the picture -2005
Im gunna sell the wife's car when she is at church Sunday and dial down on a Paxton Novi 1500 next week.LOL Probally will order the whole kit unpolished. $2800.00 from a local Paxton distributor. He is giving me a 10% discount. I am definitly going to put it on the drivers side. I will start with 6psi at 6000RPM till I get familiar with it . Pulley that comes with it
Do centrifigul SC have a boost bypass valve for when you are cruising??.
Is a boost bypass not needed because its centrigul and not a roots blower?

Thanks
You have had your system up and running for 5 yrs w no major problems?\
I saw the date of the picture -2005
Im gunna sell the wife's car when she is at church Sunday and dial down on a Paxton Novi 1500 next week.LOL Probally will order the whole kit unpolished. $2800.00 from a local Paxton distributor. He is giving me a 10% discount. I am definitly going to put it on the drivers side. I will start with 6psi at 6000RPM till I get familiar with it . Pulley that comes with it
Do centrifigul SC have a boost bypass valve for when you are cruising??.
Is a boost bypass not needed because its centrigul and not a roots blower?

I installed a by-pass valve on mine for the street, and it's busy...

There's nowhere else for all that compressed air to go when you're cruising down the hiway with the throttle nearly closed and the compressor is turning smartly... I'd definitely recommend one.

My Vortech system IS 5 years old, but doesn't have many miles on it. Can't honestly say it would have been trouble free if I'd been driving it a lot, but I've had no problems in its limited usage.

How does the bypass valve work? I know it relieves the boost when not needed?
What activates it though?

-
Back