PayPal Scam?

-

BIG DOG

Reaction score
Is there anyway to be scammed through Paypal? I have a Piano that I'm selling and the seller wants to pay me through paypal.I have done lots of transaction through Paypal and have always thought of it as being safe.But just to be on the safe side as there are lots of crooks trying to get our money . Is there anyway that I can be scamed through paypal as they have to come to my place to get piano and want to pay me through paypal?
Thanks!

Yes, it is a very active scam on Craigslist. I have heard of them sending you money via a fake PayPal link and if you sign to it they have your login information so they can clean you out.

There is also a scam where the send you a fake PayPal payment and accidently overpaid so they need you to send the overpayment back.

http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57412

The problem with them picking it up is you have no signed tracking info , even if they sign something, Paypal won't accept it , it has to be from a third party delivery. They will claim you never sent it and you won't have the proof you need= they win the dispute .

If they are coming to your house, have them get the cash from their Paypal account and bring it with them.

Steve

I'd have them bring cash.. Are you talking about a lot of money? They may not be comfortable carrying a lot of cash around... I'd still opt for cash though...

If you take Paypal, move it out of your paypal account into your bank account while they are on the way to your house.

If you take Paypal, move it out of your paypal account into your bank account while they are on the way to your house.

That won't do you any good, Paypal will reverse the charges and come after you .....

Paypal will allow them to use there creditcard which may be the only way they can pay for it. Tell them payment must clear first before pickup is done and get it in writing. Should be good then

Tell them to send the paypall payment to the shipper and have the shipper pay you cash.

This will generally route out the scammers.

Tell them payment must clear first before pickup is done and get it in writing. Should be good then

Don't steer this guy wrong if you are not sure , I have been selling/buying with Paypal for 8 years ,Ebay feedback of 1790 (100% pos) . You are wrong , in writing does NO GOOD . Buyer also has 1 year to make a chargeback on his credit card .

In person deal is CASH only. If it's a large amount, meet them @ the bank for the CASH transaction.

as stated above-- you are meeting these people -- no need for pay-pal--- have them get a postal money order -- or bank check-- pretty simple. Lawrence

I agree. If it smells rotten for any reason, it usually is. If someone wants any item bad enough, they can come up with the cash.

If they are coming to get it.... CASH or CERT Cheque

With PayPal you can set it up that PayPal will pay for it - PP pays you... they pay PP... safe guarding way of paying....

hope it works out

This is the last response I got from them.

Okay that is fine by me.I will be paying the 2.9% PayPal surcharge
from my account. So i will be paying directly into your PayPal account
without any delay, and i hope you have a paypal account. If you have
one already, just send me the address to send it to, which is the
email address you use for it or you can send me a paypal money
request, so once i receive the details i will go ahead with the
payment through PayPal and then i will contact my shipping company
after you get the payment. I will need your home address for the
merchandise to be Picked Up by the Shipping Company.

We have had a few emails back and forth on the condition and such. This person hasn't even come to look at the piano! For $4000 I would be coming to look at it. I wouldn't be making payment and shipping it on someones word but that's me. They have said that they want it to go on their credit card but it Smells like a scam to me but definetly better than I'm a pricess who wants to give you 500 million dollars if you help me scam!!!

No eamils never matched but this look familiar!

Thanks for the mail.. I will be paying the 2.9% PayPal surcharge from
my account. So i will be paying directly into your PayPal account
without any delay, and i hope you have a paypal account.If you have

And one of the others is a carbon copy of this one!

Thanks for your reply,i just wanted to make sure all bases are covered
!I'm satisfied with the condition but how long have you owned it?? and
what's your lowest price for it. I love a bargain, so i would like to
get it as soon as i can.I would be able to make payment through
paypal, i find it the easiest way to use my credit card safely and is
a safe and reliable method of payment... Let me know your price for it
.I hope to hear from you soon, and i will make all transportation
preparations for the it to be transported to my home.

THANK YOU!

ask him for his phone number that you need to talk to him, this usually makes the emails stop..good luck. sounds like a scam to me from the emails you are getting....

No eamils never matched but this look familiar!

Thanks for the mail.. I will be paying the 2.9% PayPal surcharge from
my account. So i will be paying directly into your PayPal account
without any delay, and i hope you have a paypal account.If you have

And one of the others is a carbon copy of this one!

Thanks for your reply,i just wanted to make sure all bases are covered
!I'm satisfied with the condition but how long have you owned it?? and
what's your lowest price for it. I love a bargain, so i would like to
get it as soon as i can.I would be able to make payment through
paypal, i find it the easiest way to use my credit card safely and is
a safe and reliable method of payment... Let me know your price for it
.I hope to hear from you soon, and i will make all transportation
preparations for the it to be transported to my home.

THANK YOU!

You are welcome. These scams are out there everywhere. A friend of mine passed away, his widow was selling off his wheel chair lift and associated equipment. She got the same type of PayPal scams and was about to bite until her son sent her over to my place. It was a scam all the way too.

To be on the safe side, how about setting up an free checking account at a bank near you, that you don't use for anything else but paypal/ebay transactions. That way, if a scammer does manage to access it, the damage wouldn't be catastrophic because it isn't your household checking/savings. I actually had an account like that before, but while I was deployed to Kuwait it got deactivated due to inactivity.

I google'd his emails to you.. they are common scam replies.

I would not proceed even if they call.

Gut feeling

Thought I would add this. I just got an emailmsayingbmy PayPal account is limited and I need to confirm my info etc. looks real as **** too. These are hackers from te UK.

Don't fall for it or you will get cleaned out!

Dear Paypal member,

PayPal, Your Account Has Been Temporarily Limited!

Click here to resolve the problem .. http://laroseshop.com/download/support/

Thank you for your prompt response.

2013 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131

I get those emails from time to time as well saying my paypal is limited..NEVER click on a link in one of those emails. You can log onto paypal as normal and look at your account.

Thought I would add this. I just got an emailmsayingbmy PayPal account is limited and I need to confirm my info etc. looks real as **** too. These are hackers from te UK.

Don't fall for it or you will get cleaned out!

Dear Paypal member,

PayPal, Your Account Has Been Temporarily Limited!

Click here to resolve the problem .. http://laroseshop.com/download/support/

Thank you for your prompt response.

2013 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131

They are out there just screwing people over.

-
Back