Pentastar motor

-

Jacmifish

Reaction score
Has anybody heard of anyone doing any motor swaps with the new 3.6l pentastar into an A-body or any classic Mopar for that matter?
Would be intersting I would think to have a drop in 300 hp with pretty reasonable mpg in something like a Duster.

The Pentastar is probably still too new. The electronics would be the killer here. I have heard from multiple sources that no one has been able to 'get into' the 2011-up factory computers to make any modifications. So it might be hard to eliminate all the stuff that wouldn't be necessary in an old vehicle.
That said, I drove a new Challenger and was pleasantly surprised at the power. Even as heavy as that car is, and running high gears in the rear, it felt nice and peppy. And the passing power from 50 to 80 surprised me. Sure would be neat in an a-body that was 1000 pounds lighter. :burnout:
Dallas

I guess It's just a waiting game now :-\" . We need chrysler to release source code on computers, so people know exactly what to get rid of. :cheers:

What about swapping the whole wiring harness, ecm/pcm, cluster, blah blah blah into an A-Body. Basically the whole newer vehicle, inside the shell of an A-Body. If you could get the whole works out of a junk/wrecked car, I mean.

And then you could always hide the stuff your not using (like the cluster) and use one of the Splitter style speed sensors (like the ones found in the late 80's/early 90's trucks) to run both the newer cluster (hidden) and the original cable driven cluster/

I always want to do a 3.7l that came in the jeep Liberty.I bought on new in 04' and i was also very impressed with mpg the pep and passing.For a v6 with over head cam it was a revere.My only cringe was it was just a 4.7l Benz engine missing 2 cylinders.And there not to much aftermarket support for those motors.I know there are some products on the market but not much.

Has anyone else any opinions on these motors?

No need for headers, have you looked at the exhaust outlet port.
It doesn't have separate exh ports, just one oval shaped exh port on each head.
Sounds like this is going to be a great engine, from what I have read & heard.

the wifie's 200 has the Pentastar. it's somewhat noisy on start-up, and has decent power. excellent fuel mileage for the power it has. i don't know about 8k oil changes, but i'll trust mother Mopar, it's under warranty so what happens, happens. I'd say use a Mega Squirt ECU for anyone wanting to do a swap, but if i were doing an A Body swap it would have to be a new Hemi ;)

Dont let the electronics turn you off, plenty of options (ie mega-squirt, GM, EEC4--they dont know what they are running as long as the sensors are picking up something) but the transmission may be a chore unless Ma made it a 727 bolt pattern...So there is no individual exhaust ports? Ala old mustang 6..or was that the intake? Sounds kinda strange from a max performance standpoint, maybe made good economic sense like most great engine ideas.

from allpar

Here are some of the major innovations, as far as we can tell:

Variable cam timing with dual independent cam phasing to flatten the power output
Exhaust manifold integrated into the head itself
Chain drive
Canister-free oil filter element on top of the engine — prevents landfill, allows incineration, eases oil changes
Oil to antifreeze oil cooler in the "V"
Lightweight block — saves on aluminum and reduces overall vehicle weight (improving balance, too); reportedly 20 lb lighter than GM’s V6 block, saving $40/engine on aluminum

The only thing I don't like is the exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head itself.

Would there be any other transmission options ya think? Also does anyone know if they will be putting this motor in the new dart?

Would there be any other transmission options ya think? Also does anyone know if they will be putting this motor in the new dart?

From the rumors going around right now, the top motor available in the Dart will be the 2.4l in the r/t. I'm sure they'll do a SRT-4 version, but I doubt they would put the v6 in it. Judging by Dodge's track record with small cars (omni, neon) I doubt that after the aftermarket gets ahold of it, you'll even need a v6. People did some really impressive things with the Neons.

I'd wait until they get the cylinder head bugs worked out. I hear they've been dropping seats.

The newer they get the more complicated they get. Today there are a group of processors all programmed to work together producing a balance of performance and mpg.
Engine processor, trans processor,anti-lock processor all matched programs.
So even if you moved 100% of this stuff to your a-body, from fuel delivery to wheel speed sensors, to gauges, the change in the vehicle weight would change up the way it performs. These processors do make adjustments for increased loads like trailer towing.
I'll have to ask my brother if this goes both ways, Would a 1/2 ton lighter than base load make it crazy ?

Anyone else thinking of this?? 300+ hp v6....8 speed tranny....custom dash la you inside a 70 to 74 duster? Would really surprise a lot of folks and be a wonderful daily driver

I always want to do a 3.7l that came in the jeep Liberty.I bought on new in 04' and i was also very impressed with mpg the pep and passing.For a v6 with over head cam it was a revere.My only cringe was it was just a 4.7l Benz engine missing 2 cylinders.And there not to much aftermarket support for those motors.I know there are some products on the market but not much.

Has anyone else any opinions on these motors?

here is my opinion...go for it....this is a total drivetrain and electronics transfer from a 2004 3.7 with NV3500 in my 1948 Plymouth business coupe....I used everything stock from the donor with the exception of the wiper motor and the radiator. We talking Airbags, ABS brakes, AC and dash retrofit, bucket seat, console, stereo wiring but with new SST receiver/amp remotely located to the trunk. The zero emissions fuel system is also utilized as is ring tone from the rear axle. R&P steering, 12.1 front discs with 11 rear drums..list goes on but you get the idea.

If I could find a good suitable 3.6 rear drive Pentastar donor car locally for a good price and not already mostly parted out...I would grab it in a heartbeat. I have a couple more older Plymouths awaiting upgrades.

100_1700.JPG

Last edited:
Don't quote me but I think that Diablo sport has a programmer for the v6 engines, or there's hypertech as well.

Just checked on diablo and they do make a controller for these motors, and you can custom tune these as well or just use the tunes they put in. Used their 91 octane tune on my 06 charger srt8 and you can feel the difference from the factory tune.

bigaadams - you are in Centerville? Give me a call some time!
Check out ridesafely.com for all the late model wrecks and complete cars your heart desires! Many are in Atlanta.
C

-
Back