Performer RPM intake?

-

mopower440

Reaction score
Will a edelbrock performer RPM intake work with a 440 in a dart with the stock flat hood with no mods? I was told by several it is too tall and it wont clear the hood with the carb and air filter and all, but another guy on another site just showed me a pic of it on his 1969 dart and it cleared on his..

A lot is going to depend on whether you run a spacer (how thick?), the height of the filter element and the recess of the air filter base.

Its a very tall intake- Had one on my 70 charger. Had to use a drop base and a small 2" element. Clears better with a holley carb. Do a google search and you'll see guys using a ford drop base with it.

I just went thru the mock up on my 71 Demon stock hood. I'm using a DC k frame (spool mount) with engine located per the TTI instructions for the headers, QFT carb, I measured 3" from filter flange on carb to hood skin. I'm using a moroso dropped base air cleaner assy that's 2 1/2" taller than carb flange with 3" element.It's real close due to engine offset that puts it close to frame under hood. I plan on using a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4" element. I am using the performer rpm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 908
The simple answer is yeah. With the right stuff, it'll fit. What's the right stuff? You need to find out for your specific application.

I think I remember what the problem would be..I use a thermoquad and therefore woul need an adaptor plate which makes it even taller to the point it can't clear the hood. Damn!

Although tested on a 383, this Hot Rod magazine comparison of 20 different
intake manifolds is a fantastic resource. It lists horsepowers and torques at
different RPM's and RPM range averages. It also lists manifold heights.

You will notice that the regular (low) Performer and the (tall) Performer RPM
are not all that different. Since you need to use an adapter plate spacer, which
usually helps performance when you have the room, I would be tempted to run
the regular Performer manifold with your adapter spacer.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0712-mopar-intake-manifold-comparo/

I think I remember what the problem would be..I use a thermoquad and therefore woul need an adaptor plate which makes it even taller to the point it can't clear the hood. Damn!

The regular Performer intake has a flange that will fit a ThermoQuad with no adapter needed as well as square-bore carbs. What's the rest of your engine like? If it's mostly stock you won't see much difference in power between the Performer and the Perf. RPM

The regular Performer intake has a flange that will fit a ThermoQuad with no adapter needed as well as square-bore carbs. What's the rest of your engine like? If it's mostly stock you won't see much difference in power between the Performer and the Perf. RPM

Its 9.4:1 with 284/484 cam, race prepped 1050 cfm thermoquad, 1 7/8 fenderwell headers. Im wanting to Get a good intake and heads for it. A lot of people recommend the holley street dominator intake as a close second behind the rpm intake..?

Its 9.4:1 with 284/484 cam, race prepped 1050 cfm thermoquad, 1 7/8 fenderwell headers. Im wanting to Get a good intake and heads for it. A lot of people recommend the holley street dominator intake as a close second behind the rpm intake..?

Nevermind that needs way more flow than a Performer lol. I've heard good things about the street dominator as well haven't used one myself though.

I looked at the hot rod mags comparison, i think it just made it even harder..lol.. It LOOKS like the regular performer is pretty close to the RPM if im not mistaken..? The street dominator and torker seem close also, so if i cant use the RPM, what one would you all look at getting next then? Probably between the regular performer and the street dominator..

Exactly correct. The regular Performer and the Street Dominator both work
very well and have good hood clearance. We have them both.

Exactly correct. The regular Performer and the Street Dominator both work
very well and have good hood clearance. We have them both.

Old man, between the regular performer and street dominator, which one should I get? I know they are close. I trust your opinion on this..

Performer RPM 440

Is a great manifold, but it has a 'Square-Bore' carburetor mounting-flange.

The carb Pad Height is 5.35", which is 1.70' taller than stock.

If you have to add a 'carb spacer' for the Thermoquad, clearance will be 'tight', as most of the Adapters are .750" thick.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/manifolds/images/7193.jpg

I just dont think it will fit, thats why im asking, between the regular performer and street dominator, which one would you guys choose?

Haven't run one but Street Dominator gets my vote, I don't think the Performer will flow enough.

nice scoop will take care of that problem. I just hate the nova and camero hoods on MOPARS

My air cleaner sits a little above the hood by about 1" and thats with the seal air pan I made, plus I run a hood scoop. The Performer RPM work very well for me on the street and down the track.

Attachments

• eng1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 623
  • sca 001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 625
My air cleaner sits a little above the hood by about 1" and thats with the seal air pan I made, plus I run a hood scoop. The Performer RPM work very well for me on the street and down the track.

what carb do you run? How thick is your air filter and do you have a drop base air cleaner?
Thanks

Where di you get the foam you used for the seal and how thick is that aluminum?

'No-No' on the Edelbrock Performer

A 'stock' 1972 '440' Cast Iron Intake Manifold {#3614014} with the Thermoquad-type base will perform better.

'No-No' on the Edelbrock Performer

A 'stock' 1972 '440' Cast Iron Intake Manifold {#3614014} with the Thermoquad-type base will perform better.

I disagree, care to elaborate? I thought the performer was basically an aluminum copy of the factory manifold...

MOPEkidD-3

I should have stated, that there is little difference in performance between;

A 'stock' 1972 '440' Cast Iron Intake Manifold {#3614014} and an
'Edelbrock Performer' {#2191} Aluminum Intake Manifold.

Visually, the Edelbrock Performer 'looks nice' and weighs in
@ 20 lbs., compared to 48 lbs. for the Cast Iron Unit.

But there is 'no' gain in Horsepower or Performance over a
'stock' Cast Iron Manifold.

-
Back