Pet adoption fees.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
My Boxer Butch passed away on my Wifes birthday Nov. 15th.I told my Wife only one dog at a time from now on! But I have a soft spot in my heart for dogs.So I have been on the look out for another Boxer the last few days.I could go the puppy route but I think I would rather give a "homeless" dog a home.
Is it just my area or what?,but most of the adoption fees are from $250.00-$450.00 in my area.WTF how do they expect to give the dogs new homes with these fees? I guess with the economy the way it is maybe donations have dropped way off I don't know?
I did find a 3 legged Boxer I wanted to give a home to but he just got adopted out.I guess I will keep on looking.
Petfinder.com is the best place I have found if you Guys and Gals have any leads please let me know.I don't mine driving abit to adopt a dog.I was going to make a 6 hour round trip to get the 3 leg boxer.

Thanks,Jim

My Boxer Butch passed away on my Wifes birthday Nov. 15th.I told my Wife only one dog at a time from now on! But I have a soft spot in my heart for dogs.So I have been on the look out for another Boxer the last few days.I could go the puppy route but I think I would rather give a "homeless" dog a home.
Is it just my area or what?,but most of the adoption fees are from $250.00-$450.00 in my area.WTF how do they expect to give the dogs new homes with these fees? I guess with the economy the way it is maybe donations have dropped way off I don't know?
I did find a 3 legged Boxer I wanted to give a home to but he just got adopted out.I guess I will keep on looking.
Petfinder.com is the best place I have found if you Guys and Gals have any leads please let me know.I don't mine driving abit to adopt a dog.I was going to make a 6 hour round trip to get the 3 leg boxer.

Thanks,Jim
[/QUOTE

jim,do a search for boxer rescue, we found a very nice doberman pincer from a rescue. not a lot of $$$ involved and a very nice dog

Are you checking humane society shelters or county run animal control?

The county pounds will be cheaper because they don't keep dogs for more than 5 days.

Good luck.

Thanks,Jim
[/QUOTE

jim,do a search for boxer rescue, we found a very nice doberman pincer from a rescue. not a lot of $$$ involved and a very nice dog

X2 look for a rescue.

I got ours two years ago at a pound and paid $150 - which I thought was high. But at least she had been spayed and up on all shots when we got her. She was worth every penny of it too :)

We got ours at the spca 65 bucks was the fee [be careful of rescue folks] prior to the dog we have now we adopted a lab/chow mix puppy [60$] from a lab rescue group had all its health papers so we got it 4 days later it got sick took it to the emergency vet near my house they said he had parvo he survived but got pnumonia and died after several days we called the rescue folks they could care less did not want to help us. My sons were heart broken took us 5 plus years to get another dog and she has health issues but she gets along fine but after she passes i'm not sure if we are gonna get another wife and i are getting too old to keep up with a dog [it's unfair to the dog].

Yes, please give an existing dog a home!

Who's charging 400 bucks? did that fee include the parvo test (see below)?

I work with a cat rescue group sometimes, and our fees are $40 and that covers spay/neuter and the first shots.

There's no way we could afford to check all the kittens/cats for feline leukemia or AIDS, because those tests are almost $100 each, usually only 1 in 100 tests positive, and no one will pay that $350 fee. We have only had 2 die from pre-existing illness out of hundreds over the last few years. In each case the "customer" was given our deepest sympaty (because we really do care for the well being of the animals) and given the choice to select another cat, free of charge (even though it is a loss to us of critical funds).

There are SO many domestic animals witout homes.
If you have ever been on the "rescue" side, the tragedy is absolutely astounding.
It's a shame we can't be more responsible.

Thanks for not supporting puppy mills and/or for profit breeding.

We got ours at the spca 65 bucks was the fee [be careful of rescue folks] prior to the dog we have now we adopted a lab/chow mix puppy [60$] from a lab rescue group had all its health papers so we got it 4 days later it got sick took it to the emergency vet near my house they said he had parvo he survived but got pnumonia and died after several days we called the rescue folks they could care less did not want to help us. My sons were heart broken took us 5 plus years to get another dog and she has health issues but she gets along fine but after she passes i'm not sure if we are gonna get another wife and i are getting too old to keep up with a dog [it's unfair to the dog].

Had to do a double take on that one. Sounded like your sons and you were not sure about replacing the wife.

My Reese mutt min-pin+fox terrier? was 300 spade and shots, plus a $50 refund once we complete a free puppy course in So. Cal. I thought they were free too!

We got a Basset Hound (my breed of choice) from a rescue. Fixed, all his shots and brought to us from N.C. free

Check Facebook for rescues.

There is a lot of sick people out there rescuing animals and trying to help them. They fund their operations by charging these outrages adoption fees to continue and fund what is usually illegal kennels at their homes. I will stick to the county run shelter for my adoptions of animals.

Good luck with the search.

My wife picked Izzy up from the pound $120 little over a year ago. Pretty damn cool little dog.

Attachments

• Izzy 005.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 221
Also check out Kijiji and CraigsList for ads where a family has to give up a pet due to allergies or other reasons. There are plenty of pets given away for free on those sites.

Wylde1.

You can have both of my PITA boxers.. They keep pissing on my new torque thrust II's.. a hole dogs!

Sorry to hear about the recent loss of your pup, especially on your wifes b'day :sad8:. So good of you to want to rescue another companion. I'm shocked at the adoption fees in your area :wack:. At our shelters here, it's generally about $75 or so to adopt.

I have found County fees from $100.00 -$350.00

Here's a link I found not far from you. Nice looking boxer mix halfway down the page.........I swear that rescued pups know they've been saved!!!!

http://www.hscipets.org/adoptdog.htm

Here's our most recent treasure from the county pound.....:love8: :eek:ccasion: Good luck and bring one of 'em home for Christmas!!!!!!!

View attachment Pup in the Clink 001.jpg

Both Maxi and Merlin were under a 150 bucks each, spayed, neutered, shots, etc. One was from a shelter and the other from a munincipal pound. Good luck on your search!

Free dogs are out there. They are around here any way. Got mine off the side of the road. Spayed and ready to go. Had two more show up on my door last week. Sad times we live in when people just kick there dogs out on the side of the road.

Yeah, the pet adoption fees are ridiculous. I was looking for a Tortoise Shell Cat (Camo Tortie or a Blue Tortie to be specific) ever since my Camo Tortie "Hemi" died. But torties are rare (although I did find some at the shelter, with outrageous adoption fees on them)

They wanted something like $150 for the cat (adoption fee), plus another $200 or so in mandatory shots and such. When in comparison the local Tractor Supply has this yearly deal where you can get your pets their up to date vaccines and Micro-chipped for like $35 :wack:

My latest rescue cost me $40 and I paid to have it checked for heartworms at the vet also. My next adoption will only cost me vet fees unless the dawg catcher gets it first (neighborhood stray where a friend lives) and I have to bail it out of jail.

Your dog must've gotten the word out. :D

LOL! Yep she has all the tennis balls she can chase. :cheers:

I think it is that people around here know my family has a feed store. We must be able to feed them. Right? :wack: Wish I could but it is just not going to happen.

Thinking I should keep my pastures locked up so I don't find any extra horses out there one day. :D

6pk2go- that's a nice lookin dog!

74dusted- we had a camo tortie a few months ago.

She was also a Hemingway (polydactil- 7 toes on front paws).
I had never seen one before (color).
No one called her camo, but I immediately thought-
That looks like desert camo!

at that time our fee was $10 and a promise to have them spayed (or come back and use our discount for $35).
Our new 'administration' figured out we were loosing money on that deal, so we had to go up.

I really wanted her, but we had just found three kittens around the corner in the ditch...

Sorry to hear about the recent loss of your pup, especially on your wifes b'day :sad8:. So good of you to want to rescue another companion. I'm shocked at the adoption fees in your area :wack:. At our shelters here, it's generally about $75 or so to adopt.

Here's a link I found not far from you. Nice looking boxer mix halfway down the page.........I swear that rescued pups know they've been saved!!!!

http://www.hscipets.org/adoptdog.htm

Here's our most recent treasure from the county pound.....:love8: :eek:ccasion: Good luck and bring one of 'em home for Christmas!!!!!!!

View attachment 284802

This dog looks like one i had in miami many years ago i rescued her from some kids that were abusing her took her to the vet she had two broken legs [ one front/one back] took her home she was one of rhe best dogs we had we called her dusty [cause she was all dirty when i took her from those kids] we had her for several years, i got orders to virginia from miami and there was an old woman we knew that loved the dog so i gave her to the woman tore my heart out but the old lady was very happy.

-
Back