Peyote's 3D Printed Dash Updates

-
Lots of good stuff going on here. My son just finished assembling his 3D printer and ran off his first test piece last night
first test piece.jpg
. This is fun for both of us.

Awesome... I might have to have a look into it more. It was really well broadcast here when it first came out and there were dedicated places in shopping malls where you could get stuff done but within a couple of weeks of setting up they were gone. The industry might of gone more industrial now and not so much of a hobby thing, I haven't really heard too much more about it.

Awesome... I might have to have a look into it more. It was really well broadcast here when it first came out and there were dedicated places in shopping malls where you could get stuff done but within a couple of weeks of setting up they were gone. The industry might of gone more industrial now and not so much of a hobby thing, I haven't really heard too much more about it.
It seem to have died out a bit here in my area I used to go and watch them print stuff at "barnes and Noble book stores and got hooked when the prices fell sub 200.00 for a kit. I bit the bullet and got/bought a cheapie 3d printer(169.00) to make some part prototypes that I could finish off looking like the original and then cast a mold from that part to make a better grade part out of UV resistant plastic, epoxy,rubber or acrylic resin. So far it's worked out good for me. I now have a good looking license plate plastic cover, backup lenses, Wing vent divider cushions and rear convertible panel top finish trim pieces. I've made my money back just by leaning how to make 3d models of stuff I want to make.

I have the 66 Dart with the Bezel that looks horrible. Do you have the Instrument Cluster files available for 3D printing? I could pay you for the files.

I have the 66 Dart with the Bezel that looks horrible. Do you have the Instrument Cluster files available for 3D printing? I could pay you for the files.

I’d be happy to but the model isn’t finalized yet. Need funds to print the next and hopefully final version. I’ll update the thread when that happens

3D finished products aren't smooth. You have layer lines from each pass. They have to be sanded or tumbled to be finished. I have found bezels for my 66 through the years to replace the nasty original ones.

022.jpg

3D finished products aren't smooth. You have layer lines from each pass. They have to be sanded or tumbled to be finished. I have found bezels for my 66 through the years to replace the nasty original ones.

View attachment 1715239311
Not always. There are various qualities available. Of course price goes up as you get finer prints. I have had 1/25th scale model car parts printed with layers as fine as .0005" which is nearly invisible. Shapeways - Create Your Product. Build Your Business

I recently tired, failed and gave up on finding a one stop direct print option in a major city here.

At this point 3D printing appears pretty esoteric for the occasional use person.....like me.
It looks like more of a "toy" or novelty stage for Mr. Smith.
What I hope to see is a direct scan/print store on the corner one day.
Walk in with a bezel and get them to scan, modify and print a new one for the price of a new pair of shoes.
Not the price of a new car.

Not always. There are various qualities available. Of course price goes up as you get finer prints. I have had 1/25th scale model car parts printed with layers as fine as .0005" which is nearly invisible. Shapeways - Create Your Product. Build Your Business
Cool stuff but a different material and process. Multi-nozzles, UV cured etc. Still a 3d print but not what you will get unless you have a very expensive printer.

Cool stuff but a different material and process. Multi-nozzles, UV cured etc. Still a 3d print but not what you will get unless you have a very expensive printer.
That's why you subcontract it. No huge investment for the individual who only needs a part or two every once in a while. They have dozens of materials, even metals.

Relax guys. The part will be printed on a machine that costs around $10k, not a hobby printer. The material is a high tech heat resistant plastic. Yes it will be sanded. Yes it will be printed at a high resolution to reduce layer lines. It will also be filled, sanded, and painted. I have thought of all of that well before I spent $80 and countless hours on a prototype.

I don’t care if you don’t want it, or think nobody else will. This project will happen whether anyone else is interested or not

There is a place local to me that I have been talking with that is going to print me a blank dash bezel for my 74 Duster. I fooled around a long time fiber glassing a flat piece into a factory bezel I cut the back out of. It worked well and is holding up well but I screwed up drilling the gauge and indicator light holes in it so I want to redo it. The next one will be 3D printed. I will let you all know how it goes.

Cley

OK I know its been a few years, but yadda yadda buying a new house, getting a new job, covid, blah blah blah. I'm still going to be working on this project!

Current status:
Previous working model was lost, but I still have the print file. Regardless I'm going to be rebuilding the model making some tweaks that needed to be made along the way. Using a new and better 3D program for it. In the meantime I had bought my own printer and have been printing in ABS for a while, nothing car related yet. Just getting used to the process and settings.

Also the Dart has been at the body shop for almost a year, which means I didn't have access to the car to move the project forward. Now I have the funding to do the project right, and the car is coming home next month, I will have it for 6-12 months before it leaves again to another shop, so that's my time to work on the dashboard.

Ordering a new printer this week that should arrive in August. It's 3x faster than my current, which makes iterations much easier. It also prints in up to 4 colors at a time (see me thread on printing tail lights), so in the end I might not even need to paint this, just smooth it out.

So don't give up on me folks, I'm just getting started. :steering:

-
Back