Photographs of an RB in a '64 Valiant?

-

Ray Gun

Reaction score
Anyone with photographs of an RB install in a '64 Valiant, please post them. I'd like to also hear about your experiences with the install. The car we're doing is a 4spd car, so I'm pretty much looking for inner fender clearance shots, brake master cylinder shots, advice, etc.

Kevin.

Abodyjoe's car. I've got some pictures some where of it and a video of too. I'll try and find some tomorrow.

Wow, that's a beauty. Fiberglass hood right? Same as '64 '65 Barracuda? And what did he do with the headlight bezels?

Abodyjoe's car. I've got some pictures some where of it and a video of too. I'll try and find some tomorrow.

Man, that thing was F)(*ing awesome!! Now I really can't wait to get that 413 in there.

Wow, that's a beauty. Fiberglass hood right? Same as '64 '65 Barracuda? And what did he do with the headlight bezels?

Are you talking about he car in my sig? That's not his beast......his was black. My car is a sb 340. I have my head light rings, I just haven't put them on yet. I got to get back on that thing.

save the fighting and trouble, build yourself a healthy small block and with weight and everything else you will be in much better shape. id hate to change plugs in a big block early A ! tight enough with a 360! Just My Own Opinion.

save the fighting and trouble, build yourself a healthy small block and with weight and everything else you will be in much better shape. id hate to change plugs in a big block early A ! tight enough with a 360! Just My Own Opinion.

i had both a 360 and a 440 in my 64valiant and i have to say the 440 was easier to work on then the 360. plus there is just nothing that can compare to a big block a-body.

64valiant025.jpg

having been involved in building and working on a BB A-body, there is nothing like it. The performance is a blast but be prepared to do ALOT of work getting it in there. I think it depends on what your going to do with the car, road racing with a BB could take alot of suspension tweaking to deal with the weight difference.

never thought it was bad installing a big block in an a-body. pretty much bolt in and go. atleast thats how my projects have gone. the headders are the biggest decision and can be a real pain depending what ones you go with.

a corner carving big block wouldn't be too hard either. just have to use the proper suspension parts. cost should be close because most of the stuff you would replace anyway having the car that far apart. and now with alum heads,alumn water pump and housings, alumn intake you should end up about the wight of a stock small block. gotta love that.. :)

abodyjoe, I like how your so modest about it. Is it really that easy for you?? I alway's thought it would be a nightmare. Maybe I should start looking into it.

abodyjoe, I like how your so modest about it. Is it really that easy for you?? I alway's thought it would be a nightmare. Maybe I should start looking into it.

not being a smart *** or anything. but it is that easy. especially on a 67-up a-body. its truley is a bolt in deal. even the early a-body is pretty easy. they make mounts for them now. when i did mine we had to build the mounts for it. the trans bolts to the stock crossmember, so you have to hammer flat the floor to firewall seam. thats not hard at all. the headders are the big thing on both early (custom made is the only game in town) and the later a-body (numerous makes on the market.). i barley knew what the heck i was doing when we did my 440 valiant and i thought it was a pretty easy swap considering everyone told me it wouldn't work. that was before all these forums that have a ton of info about it on them too. really it is that easy. just have to make sure you gather the right parts that fit and a big block will just bolt in like it was born there.

Hey abodyjoe, I don't think I ever heard what happened to the Valiant. Do you ever see it? Is it still alive? I'm almost positive i'm pulling the 360 and going 440 4-speed in my 64 And I'm going to need all the help/info i can squeeze out of everybody

Dave...........

DUDE why did you take it to the crusher? :angry7: i'd give my right nut for those bucket seats! lol

becausethose cars were a dime a dozen back then. they were sitting all over the place back then and could be bought for $500 because no one wanted them.. hell that car onlu needed quarters. the trunk and floors were spotless but they didn't make anything for them bak then and would have been cheaper to just build a different body. it was a different and better time back then in the hobby.

i got this one that i later sold for $700. it was clean man..

n658249861_1289779_8398.jpg

Great video! We all need closure at the end of a relationship

Not sure if these will help. This is a 66 Valiant with a 383 and 4 speed that I had. Never got it completed.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

abodyjoe, you're my kind of guy. I didn't think it would be that hard, and the photograph from Commando66 just gives me more promise. If there is room for an iron manifold on the side, there is room for a pair of my headers. I'm not questioning you guys that have done this before, but I think I have plenty of room to build in there and just go down and not through the fenders. I know they won't be one piece units, but I think I can do it.

http://www.hotrodchassisandcycle.com/headers.php

And your thoughts on the aluminum heads / water pump / housing and manifold are exactly what I was thinking. That's a ton of weight off a block right there, and I was counting on it being something along the lines of an LA in stock trim weight wise.

Man, I've got to get some photos of the car up here. I've got the 413 already also. And since the car is already a 4 speed, I was thinking with a Quick Time bellhousing I might not have to knock the seem in at the trans tunnel/firewall union. Their bells are SMALL. I'm using one in a Model A I'm building right now with a 440, and it's a ton smaller than the stock housing or a Lakewood unit.

Wow! Those are just the shots I was hoping for. Thanks so much!

Notice the hydralic clutch and the column is cut down to the firewall. I can't tell if that's just an addapter plate or also a relocator for the MC. Thats the only way you'll get the exhaust to work on a 4-speed. Especialy with a 10 inch bell. It is tight on my 360. I have to use 1 1/4 off the 273 manifolds till I clear the linkage, bell and column. But anything is possible with enough money.

I've mentioned this before on another thread but there is a guy here in town that has a 64 barracuda w/ a 383. His solution to exhaust clearing was flipping the manifolds and running the exhaust through the K. A bit ghetto but thats hot roddin.

-
Back