Picking up a 1964 Chrysler Saratoga 300

-
Buddy had a 300 just like it but had the rounder taillights, maybe a 65? Land yacht, but could break the rear tires loose big time in first and he has some meats under it and a 9.25 rear it was huge. His brakes SUCKED! pedal to the floor and nothing! One adjuster was so far out it completely hosed the brake system. Single pot M/C, change it. Super cool car with white interior, when he bought it, he cleaned the mold off with tilex. Smelled like a bathroom for about 2 days but was sparkly clean.

Buddy had a 300 just like it but had the rounder taillights, maybe a 65? Land yacht, but could break the rear tires loose big time in first and he has some meats under it and a 9.25 rear it was huge. His brakes SUCKED! pedal to the floor and nothing! One adjuster was so far out it completely hosed the brake system. Single pot M/C, change it. Super cool car with white interior, when he bought it, he cleaned the mold off with tilex. Smelled like a bathroom for about 2 days but was sparkly clean.

Cool story! Could be a '65, or was it a Newport? I think they had the round tail lights too. Haha yep, there's a little bit of mold in this one too..

Yep it's a C body. There's a lot of cool, underrated C bodies out there. I also really like the '62 New Yorker, the '64 Dodge Custom 880, and a bunch others.
Mike, I just learned a couple months ago that 880s even existed. I stumbled across a '64 in a junkyard with a PERFECT grill and almost all the trim. all the parts were there. too bad there is ZERO interest for their parts as they go really unloved so it'll kinda sit there and rot with its 361. Sad as that is.

Dad had a 64 New Yorker with a 413. One of the first cars I drove. Effortless highway cruiser. I thought the Saratoga was the base model and the 300 was a separate higher class model. The interior trim is essentially the same as our New Yorker, including the square steering wheel. I think the base models had different trim and a round wheel. Are you sure it is a Saratoga, or might someone have changed the front fenders?

Dad had a 64 New Yorker with a 413. One of the first cars I drove. Effortless highway cruiser. I thought the Saratoga was the base model and the 300 was a separate higher class model. The interior trim is essentially the same as our New Yorker, including the square steering wheel. I think the base models had different trim and a round wheel. Are you sure it is a Saratoga, or might someone have changed the front fenders?

The fenders could have been changed, however the title tags Chrysler Saratoga 300.

The Windsor was the base model, Saratoga mid, and New Yorker top of the line. The US 300 body was closest to Canadian Saratoga, with it's own sporty trim.

I used to drive by one when I was a kid, I stoped and asked you want to sell that? The answer was all ways, nope! Last time I went by, (20 years ago) there was a 7/11 there.

Thanks guys. Carmen still hates it, but maybe once we go for a few drives she'll like it more.

I finished plumbing the front brakes, bent new lines, etc. Got started on the rear brakes. I ordered new shoes all around but the ones they brought in for me are a 1/2" wider than what I need, so I'm using the existing shoes. They still have a lot of life left, I just hope they don't crumble apart. Parking brake works, so that's a bonus.

Pulled out the rusty brake lines, and managed to find the rubber line for the rear brakes at my local parts store. Just one more rear drum to pull apart and replace wheel cylinder and line, and the brakes are finished.
I also pulled out the VERY rusty fuel line and replaced it with new line. No wonder it wouldn't run off the tank.
It'll need a muffler but I may have a used one from another vehicle that'll fit for now.

LOVE the C bodies, looks like you got a nice solid car there, great find! I've had a few c's through the years, 2 were 880's.

Good luck with her and have fun with her!

Nice find.
I have a '64 NewYorker Salon myself.
Bought it to be used as a dailydriver but found my current '73 Dart instead, so the '64 sites. Mine is a big project so no way of selling it easy again.

'64 Chryslers are not "C-bodies". The model platform totally changed in '65 where the 'real' C-body platform was based on from then.

Not sure about the fuelline diameter. I think 5/16", but, does it matter?

ITE=BigBlockMopar;1970419205]Nice find.
I have a '64 NewYorker Salon myself.
Bought it to be used as a dailydriver but found my current '73 Dart instead, so the '64 sites. Mine is a big project so no way of selling it easy again.

'64 Chryslers are not "C-bodies". The model platform totally changed in '65 where the 'real' C-body platform was based on from then.

Not sure about the fuelline diameter. I think 5/16", but, does it matter?[/QUOTE]

Just asking because 3/8" is a ***** to bend.

Rebuilt the carb, drained and cleaned fuel tank, and replaced sending unit. New unit isn't exactly the same, but hopefully it'll reach enough fuel.

Hey Mike

I had a 64 just like that in 89/90 in Vancouver, drove it to college every day after selling my 68 Sport Fury ragtop (383 4 spd) and loved it. Mine was also a 4 door hardtop and also was a Saratoga 300, but had the 361. I think the Saratoga 300 was a Canadian thing. It was an awesome cruiser. Gotta love the push button auto and square steering wheel. Check the bottom of the front sub frame for rot - that was the demise of mine...

Hey, thanks, glad to hear about more of them. It should be a good cruiser when its said and done.

I had the car running for a while today, just had to bend the tubing of the sending unit a little so it would fit, and the gas gauge now works which is a plus.

The only problem I'm running into is it won't fire up without having to pour gas down the carb each time. I initially thought accelerator pump, however after a carb rebuild, it's still the same. Thoughts?

-
Back