Pistol grip shifter

-
my 833 is from a duster and the shifter is for a 71 b body. The shifter is no closer to the dash than any b body. I love mine and it makes going through the gears a blast. IMHO its a good fit.

I totally agree I wasn't down playing your shifter... like I mentioned above I like yours.

Can you post some color pictures of it when you get a chance?

I like the fact that I have got it narrowed done to the size that fits properly and looks good. 71 b body

I totally agree I wasn't down playing your shifter... like I mentioned above I like yours.

I like the fact that I have got it narrowed done to the size that fits properly and looks good. 71 b body

If you could do so, would you mind taking some shots of you with the shifter at each gear position? I am trying to decide whether to use an E-body 833 trans and pistol grip in my '68 'Cuda. I need to determine whether I could do the shifter plate conversion or try to locate an A-body 833. I remember my brother's '70 440+6 'Cuda; the pistol grip sat just aft of my right knee in 1st gear. It was perfect.

I have been longing for one too...

If you go to Mopar performance and download their catalogue they have one for $299. I looked into it, they said there was 50 in stock, and its four days to order, non returnable.

They make a few different ones, but the one I believe will work says the following in the description:

SHIFTERS​

E.​
Hurst Pistol Grip Shifters

Give your 4-speed Mopar muscle car that original look and
feel it deserves with these brand-new, factory-reissued pistol
grip shifters from Hurst.​
Note: All pistol grip sticks are the bolt-on style and are designed
for use with Hurst Comp Plus Shifter part number 391–6769
(not available through Mopar).​
P4510610​
Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter (All 1968–69

Non-Console, 1970 B-Body Non-Console)

Heres the rest of the ones they make:

P4510611​
Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter (1971–74 B-Body
Non-Console with Center Armrest)

P4510612​
Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter (1970–74 E-Body,
1971-74 B-Body with Console)

P4510948​
Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter (1970 B-Body
with Console)

P4510614 Hurst Pistol Grip Simulated Wood Grain Insert

I`ve been reading for years that the 71-b without con. is the one that works with a body, buckets and bench. I have a 67 cuda w bench, 69 cuda 833. hurst comp. plus. Wanting one for years, I broke bad and bought from summit. It would not clear the bench:angry7:, about 1-1/2" to low? Being the determined kind of guy I am8) I welded a lower portion of another old shifter. It gets nowhere near the dash and lays right at seat. I like!.. another deal with my hurst does`nt emerge in center of hump hole, it`s toward the back. I played hell adapting rods to clear crossmember, but it works8)

Thanks for the info, mopar head. Going into my mental data bank.

I`ve been reading for years that the 71-b without con. is the one that works with a body, buckets and bench. I have a 67 cuda w bench, 69 cuda 833. hurst comp. plus. Wanting one for years, I broke bad and bought from summit. It would not clear the bench:angry7:, about 1-1/2" to low? Being the determined kind of guy I am8) I welded a lower portion of another old shifter. It gets nowhere near the dash and lays right at seat. I like!.. another deal with my hurst does`nt emerge in center of hump hole, it`s toward the back. I played hell adapting rods to clear crossmember, but it works8)

If using that hurst shifter. Which shifting mechanisim and rods do you buy from summit. I tried looking and asked a guy who sells on ebay but he had no idea.

Thanks for the info, Mullinax.

If Chrysler had offered that set-up from the factory, it would have looked no better than your installation! It is a natural!:cheers: Thank you.

Hope this pic helps, need to take a few new shots of it. By the way I got the shifter from Atlantic Speed on ebay for about $160 last year.

mopar071-1.jpg

Hope this pic helps, need to take a few new shots of it. By the way I got the shifter from Atlantic Speed on ebay for about $160 last year.

Your timing is a bit slow! :toothy10:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=454015#post454015

I got tired of waiting. I was going to get it from them but they are located in SC and then I would have to pay SC sales tax. :angry7:

I got it cheaper at YearOne without sales tax. Not a super great amount or anything.

Sorry so slow on the reply. Just checked the link and wow that pistol grip looks great in your ride. The factory should have done it this way lol . Anyway enjoy banging threw the gears !

Keisler Engineering makes an A-body pistol grip for their A-body kits. They have TKO engraved on them, but they are sharp and fit the car better than the alternatives. Give them a call at 865.609.8187, hit extension 211 and tell them Gray told you to call. Hope this helps. Gray@AP

I put one in mine from a E body. To keep from hiting the dash in 3rd i just made a 3 in long adapter and bent it back so your hand doesnt hit the dash. Its covered by the shift boot. Works great been in there for several years.

I made one for my Dart. I am waiting to get the Pistol grip Chromed that I made for my wife's Duster. If you are looking for different type of grip handles and inserts check out gunslinger. I got a carbon Fiber one for my wife's Duster at the Nationals last year

pistol grip shifter in console2.jpg

ther is a guy in calgary (Neil) , I just bough a whole bunch of 833 parts from him and he had 1, call or e-mail me (403-547-6691 david-at-darkside.ca)
and I will give you his phone #

You know… I have looked at all these and in my opinion a Pistol grip shifter looks out of place in an a-body.

I don't think any of them look factory.

I love the wood choice in post #5. That looks nice.

-
Back