Planning a 5.7 project

-

b5cuda

Reaction score
I'm learning a lot from this forum as I plan my next project – want to put a 5.7 hemi into a ’69 cuda coupe for a daily driver, 95% street use. My initial questions concern suspension. I want good power steering and simple exhaust, and while I can do a Borgeson steering box and TTI headers, I wonder how painful that arrangement is for installation and engine access? For my intended use, I’m fine with factory manifolds if they can be made to fit. By my calculations a beefed-up factory (’73 style) front suspension will cost $2400 with Borgeson steering, Hemi Denny K and accessories = $3700, AlterKtion = $4500. I am trying to figure out whether there’s enough ‘value added’ with the aftermarket systems to justify the extra $1300 – 2100. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Appreciate opinions from guys who’ve played with this. Thanks!

Your beefing up a 40 year suspension. So it's still gonna be a 40 year suspension. The extra money will get you modern suspension. Much more room and options to keep things like a/c and ps. I am using my stock suspension, and some of the things are a really tight fit. The after market systems would make it a lot easier. Its just up to you what you want to spend.

Thanks for your reply Jason. So if you had it to do over, would you stick with stock suspension or save your money and go for the aftermarket kit?
Thanks for the note JD about the used alter-K, that is a very tempting deal! But I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and not sure how I would work out logistics on that transaction...

If there was one thing I'd like to change about my car it would probably be the steering feel. However, that's not saying that it isn't just fine the way it is, but having a tighter feel and more precision is always nice.

I've been in the same boat for a while as I've debated a new K frame with a rack on it several times, but I've never made myself pull the trigger. A front suspension setup for the car would cost me more than I paid for the car to begin with, so I have a hard time justifying it.

That being said, if you really want to go power steering there's probably no better option than a full front suspension update. I personally haven't felt how the Borgeson unit functions, but I'd still imagine an older style center link system may lack some of the feel of a rack and pinion setup.

I also have the factory K in mine, and it is SO tight... if I had it to do over I would bite the bullet on a aftermarket set up... I'm just getting mine on the road now, and that still may be in my future as $ allows. (The change this, fix that list is growing) Take care of yourself over there, and then get to work on that swap. I would guess that Abodyjoe and maybe other members would help you with logistics of that used K if your truly interested...

Joe

I for one like my factory suspension, borgeson box, and TTI's. It does everything I want it to.

Yes, it's tight. No room for twin turbos. Lol.

I am putting a 5.7 Hemi in my 70 Dart. I am very happy with the Hemi Denny K-frame set up. The Hemi slipped in like a glove.
Also, just a heads up on Exhaust manifolds. For the HemiDenny K-frame or a stock set up: Truck manifolds will not fit, they dump into the firewall. LX manifolds will fit but need to notch a small section of the frame to bolt in. But, Jeep 5.7 Hemi manifolds are juuuusst right.

Thanks guys - you're helping me sort through options. I guess my bottom line requirements are good power steering, workable access/clearance in the engine bay, and a price that isn't crazy. Not sure I have the solution yet, but will continue research and keep saving money! That's the good thing about being deployed - a little harder to spend it from here.

The spool mounts seem to locate the engine strangely IMO. The biscuit setups are a kind of bridge girder/ cantilever setup that also looks to me like its guaranteed to suck to. So I built my own mounts. It wasnt that hard you just need some patience and the ability to mock everything up so you know it is where it fits best.

The good/bad part about the biscuit style mounts is that they offer you some adjustment. You can shim them around a bit to wiggle the engine where you need it to be, but the spools are probably better at keeping it where you put it. I upgraded my 67 to the spool mounts and my engine dropped in real nice. The headers are actually not too obtrusive in the engine bay since they are near below the engine due to the Hemi head design. Most heads are a bit wedge shaped, so the exhaust dumps out closer to sideways. The Hemi heads are more or less square shaped, so when you account for the V shaped of the engine the exhaust ports face down quite a bit. This helps the exhaust tuck up against the block pretty good, but it's definitely tight to the torsions bars.

Lol. Yup. I'm a cheap date.

Still need to put that new one in. The front bend is a lot more aggressive. Should fit. Crossing my fingers.

One more question on suspension options - do the HDK or Alter-K or other after-market k-frames reduce the turning radius as opposed to stock set-up? I love the tight radius of the factory K!

-
Back