plasticote engine paint is crap

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Anyone else notice how thin this crap is?

I have a can of big block orange. Lacking a large ball peen hammer but having a head I found I went and got a hickory handle for it.

Decided to throw a little paint on the head first but man;this stuff just doesnt cover! I think if I was painting a block I'd have to have at least 2 cans. 2 coats on it and it will need at least 2 more.

Any brands that cover better?

I am using this same paint to paint my engine, only I'm using chevy orange...OOPS!!! shouldn't have said that, I'm gonna get flamed!!!!! lol

I did notice it to be rather thin, but I used 3 coats of duplicolor engine primer, and 3 coats of that plasticote orange...It's been 2 days since I painted it, and it seems to be okay...I might give it one more coat, depends...you could use POR 15....

1j20lh.jpg

Grab yourself a can of the MoPar engine paint, it's enamle, coats well and is durable.

100_1091.jpg

I used plastikote on this.

340build006.jpg

Yes it's thin. It took about 6 coats to get it where I wanted. Many thins coats are better than thick ones. Give it 10 minutes or so flash time between coats and don't be in a hurry.

I also had to use several coats with plasticote, allowing serious drying time between them.

Oranges and reds are typically thin pigments. Using a lite colored primer helps a lot.

Turned out well though. Even with very little prep on my wrecking yard engine block, the paint has held up very well.

Steve

I am using this same paint to paint my engine, only I'm using chevy orange...OOPS!!! shouldn't have said that, I'm gonna get flamed!!!!! lol

You did what?:blob6::puke::sad4::tongue2::axe:[-X:violent1::protest::boxing::angry4::poke:

There. You have been flamed!!!!!!:la: LOL

Have used nothing but Plasti-cote on my motors for years..

duster 033.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

Thanks guys...wish they stayed that way,always cleaning something..can you guess which one is the stroker and which is the 360??..

I have had great luck with the plasticote engine paints. Much better than the Mopar, VHT, or Duplicolor brands. I will spray the first coat lightly but evenly on a CLEAN engine. It will still look really clear. I let it tack up for 15 min's or so than add a second coat a little wetter but still not looking for the final finish, should still look thin. With 15 min's between coats the third coat should look close and the fourth will finish it off nicely, A can and a half should nicely do a long block. I really think Plasticote has the best color match to the original color. Just my 2 cents.

IMG_1975 (Medium).JPG

Ive used the Dupli-Color Engine paint for years and never had a problem.The key is get the parts AS CLEAN as humanly possible.Any trace of grease,oil will make it much harder to cover and do it in thin coats.If you do it in heavy coats,later on it will start peeling.After I get the parts degreased,I like to use a red scotch brite and Ajax and water to scrub it down,let it dry,wipe it down with wax and grease remover or acetone.Comes out nice.=)

Well took 6 friggin coats to look good. Not impressed to say the least.

I make sure I shake it for a while after the ball starts rattling, as well as swirl the ball around the bottom. Another great way to atomize the paint is to set it out in the sun for a few hours before using. Never had problems.

I always soak my fizz cans in the sink with the water on hot for a few min then shake really well and warm some more then shake and spray. (can shout be warm in the hand) I use to have problems with the dupi color stuff until I figured out the secret (prep, prep, prep, primer 2x coats, color 2x coats clear 2x coats, let flash for 10 min between each coat, then after and hour or so of dry time take the propane torch to it and make the clear glossy) and now I can't get that stuff off if I try.

also stick in in a small bucket of hot water, i used duplicolor on this and it seems to chip easy i did primer the V/C's maybe i shouldn't have done that

party 046 (640x480).jpg

Rustoleom now makes engine specifc 500F paint. I saw it at the local Autozone and thought I'd give it a try as I too was not impressed with the VHT or Plasticoat brands.

The Rustoleoum works great and covers much, much better. One can did 3 coats on my entire block and half a can put 3 coats on the cylinder head. Good stuff.

the rustoleom engine paint looks decent, you gotta use their primer too to get good coverage. i used their tractor paint on my HEMI, Alis Chalmers orange, that stuff covers great with no primer, is super shiny and holds up awsome.

Rustoleom hemi orange engine paint
70roadrunner028.jpg

Rustoleom Alis Chalmers tractor paint
3109033.jpg

engine in front is Alis Chalmers, engine in back is hemi orange
68barracuda001.jpg

crossram.jpg

Yes, I did use their primer too. The head is Chrysler Red and the block Gloss Black.

IMG_1292.JPG

I always used the plasi kote cast color paints and loved them untill they went from enamel to laquer . Nothing on the can says gas resitant WTF.

-
Back