plasticote engine paint is crap

-
I will never will use spray can stuff again. Only good acrylic enamel, and you can get any color mixed. Epoxy primer the block first. You'll never have to repaint the engine again.
More spendy, and I know some of you don't have a spray gun. But it well worth it for the paint, and borrow a gun if you have to.

I will never will use spray can stuff again. Only good acrylic enamel, and you can get any color mixed. Epoxy primer the block first. You'll never have to repaint the engine again.
More spendy, and I know some of you don't have a spray gun. But it well worth it for the paint, and borrow a gun if you have to.

U-tech 3.8 high solids is some good stuff going that route.
3.8-1.jpg

You can get that stuff mixed to virtually any color you want.

It will cost you a BUNCH more money!

i've done that a few times also, not sure it works any better than the tractor paint though.

Rustoleom now makes engine specifc 500F paint. I saw it at the local Autozone and thought I'd give it a try as I too was not impressed with the VHT or Plasticoat brands.

The Rustoleoum works great and covers much, much better. One can did 3 coats on my entire block and half a can put 3 coats on the cylinder head. Good stuff.

Yeah, I think they say it's ceramic based or something.
I used chrysler red. I think they used that on the super 6s.
I like it because it's not orange. Not a fan of orange.

I used duplicolor on mine.

I have found that its hard to get any brightly colored engine paint to show up good with out a few coats of paint first.

I think I put 4 coats atleast on my engine to make sure I got a good tone of Hemi orange on there (Yeah Mopardude318 your right....the hemi orange is kind of creamy compared to chevy orange) but I still thought it looked good so thats what I went with.

not to mention I thought it would be a great contrast on the nice shiny new plum crazy paint I laid down.

I did most of this with duplicolor,VHT for the headers and cheapo paint for any stuff I did in black and I used duplicolor clear for a nice thick luster.

and a steady hand for the pinstriping lol.

DSCI0703.jpg

DSCI0711.jpg

DSCI0789.jpg

DSCI0790.jpg

DSCI0793.jpg

DSCI1104.jpg

DSCI1148.jpg

Dusterdude, your engine looks good. :)

I bought some brush on engine paint from por15 haven't tried it yet.Gonna pull the engine ,slap on the edelbrock heads and 8qt pan all at the same time.Hopefully this fall

I used brush on POR 15 on my 408 stroker...its good paint as well...kinda of a pain in the ***, but it has a thick coat that seems to be pretty durable...

Thanks MD318

I keep hearing about people using the POR products and how great they are but I have yet to try them.

Sounds like I am going to have to check one of there products out sometime lol

You need to primer first and then it will cover. What you should do is order the correct paing from Summit. You can also order it from any Mopar dealer, but the last time I tried to order from them they said they had to order a case.
Frank

Good find Ramcharger! I think the local jobber carries rustoleum so I could ask. The google search only revealed a bunch of ford and gm colors.Only one chrysler color and it's hemi orange! Nice color but Im a few bucks shy of a hemi right now,,

I used POR15 on my 340.Had to brush it on but it flowed out very well
and has held up very good for 5+ years

Good find Ramcharger! I think the local jobber carries rustoleum so I could ask. The google search only revealed a bunch of ford and gm colors.Only one chrysler color and it's hemi orange! Nice color but Im a few bucks shy of a hemi right now,,

Lol, yeah, me too. :read2: They did stock Chrysler Red by me but no Hemi Orange or Chrysler Blue. I can't take credit for this as it seems that at least 2 more members tried Rustoleoum out too.

HAHA..Well damn...lol...cool. I like orange. :)

:D:D:D

The red wasn't factory but I wanted to add a little pop to the engine. Like POS mentioned, they did use it on the Super 6 so at least it's got a bit of heritage on Mopar offered 6.

Yeah, I think they say it's ceramic based or something.
I used chrysler red. I think they used that on the super 6s.
I like it because it's not orange. Not a fan of orange.

The Chrysler red came out very, very nice.

The last time I used Plasti-coat was about 3 yrs. ago and it worked great. Now NAPA only has Dupli-color and it isn't nearly as good it seems to me. Summit had pain on sale so I tried it on my new engine I'm building. It is called Chrysler Red but I think they got something wrong cause it isn't anywhere close to Chrysler red. Looks more like Chevy orange to me. Plus all this block has done is set on the engine stand for the past year while I've been gathering parts and it's already starting to peel. I even thoroughly cleaned the block, wiped it down with paint prep, and primed it. I'm not too happy to say the least. I guess my next step is to mask off the engine, wire wheel it down and try some other paint. I saw the Rust-O-Leum at Autozone so I think I'll try it.

Here's a couple pics. Tell me if this looks like Chrysler red to you!:bootysha:

that chrysler red looks pretty good Ramcharger, might paint my 360 with some of that!!

Although Chrysler Red is lighter than Ford Red, it's actually a little darker than what the picture shows. I think you'll like it. :)

The last time I used Plasti-coat was about 3 yrs. ago and it worked great. Now NAPA only has Dupli-color and it isn't nearly as good it seems to me. Summit had pain on sale so I tried it on my new engine I'm building. It is called Chrysler Red but I think they got something wrong cause it isn't anywhere close to Chrysler red. Looks more like Chevy orange to me. Plus all this block has done is set on the engine stand for the past year while I've been gathering parts and it's already starting to peel. I even thoroughly cleaned the block, wiped it down with paint prep, and primed it. I'm not too happy to say the least. I guess my next step is to mask off the engine, wire wheel it down and try some other paint. I saw the Rust-O-Leum at Autozone so I think I'll try it.

Here's a couple pics. Tell me if this looks like Chrysler red to you!:bootysha:

Not even close! LMAO! Must've been a Cheby guy at the paint mixer, lol. I'm impressed with the Rustleoum. It's worth the 15 bucks for a can of paint and primer. One can of each should cover no problem.

Not even close! LMAO! Must've been a Cheby guy at the paint mixer, lol. I'm impressed with the Rustleoum. It's worth the 15 bucks for a can of paint and primer. One can of each should cover no problem.

He must have inhaled too many paint fluorocarbons. LOL

I'm gonna give the Rust-O-Leum (sp?) a try. Gotta be better than this crap I got here.

I haven't used POR-15 engine paint but I used it on all my chassis parts and it is excellent paint. The only thing is the fumes are horrible. You have to use it in a well vented area.

-
Back