plymouth volare rack and pioion

-

73dodgeman

Reaction score
any one know what year they came out with the rack and pinion on the volares? if volaries had them?i need to replace the one on my street rod if any one has one for sale? thanks

Do t think they ever came with a rack. Could someone have just installed a rack onto the volare suspension?

Do t think they ever came with a rack. Could someone have just installed a rack onto the volare suspension?

I am thinking it might be that, a MII or a transverse setup off of a Mirada-type Mopar. BTW: Pictures of your current setup would help.

possible will try to get some pics up,btw dont hate me its a 56 pro street ford but it is a volare front sus, just not sure on the rack??

Here are the pics. Nice looking truck...
frontend1.jpg

frontend2.jpg

frontend3.jpg

frontend4.jpg

frontend5.jpg

wow nope thats not stock to the suspension and wow is that crazy low. IMO doesn't look right.
btw how does it drive? that steering shaft is at a frightening angle

well for one it wouldn't live where I live. to many bumps/manholes/etc. would catch that and rip the steering right off

yep, gotcha there its a 460 on nos about 650 horses ment to go straight but steering is loose getting alot of play from the pass side, looks like a rack replace ment to me?? any input on it would be great, thanks for the help!

honestly I'm not one to know anything about a r&p but if the tie rods seem tight at the steering arms it's very likely the rack needs replacement. Think about a skidplate or something just incase as well. a simple sheet of aluminum bent over the bottom of the kmember covering the rack would suffice. sure it's ment to go fast and straight but if it's street driven you wouldn't want it to go left or right without your input no? Everyone likes to think they'd have the presence of mind to hit the brakes but in a moment of panic things can go wrong

If its only got play on one side its most likely a tierod. even racks have inners and outers.

outters are tight, its the inner that is giving me side to side, never messed with re building them, just wondering if its may be a stang2rack? the previous owner did a real nice job attaching it to the volare front.

If just one of the inners is bad, why rebuild the whole rack? Figure out what it came off of and replace just the inner. Saves time and money. I've never replaced the whole rack unless the seals are blown and puking fluid all over the place or the rack itself is bad. Are you still in touch with the builder? Can he give you the info on it? The F, J, M, bodies all shared the transverse torsion bars set up, with the J's and M's just being modified F's so it isn't stock with the suspension.

ramenth, thanks for the info you are right i found out that this was a kit that adapted to the volare front. ive got parts ordered, thanks for all the help, great site!!:cheers:

ramenth, thanks for the info you are right i found out that this was a kit that adapted to the volare front. ive got parts ordered, thanks for all the help, great site!!:cheers:

You're welcome. What kit is it? I've got a buddy who owns a '79 RR and he might be interested in it, too. And are you going the long route and replacing the rack, and if you are is it a long rack with the inners attached or are you just replacing the bad inner?

-
Back