Points conversion

-

DirtDart

Reaction score
Yeah I’m going the other way cause I’m weird n old school like that. A new ecu wire harness was given to me. Can I still use it and plug my points distributor to the coil and just run a hot wire to the other side of coil and ignore all the electronic ignition stuff? Of course I’ll run through a ballast. Thanks dudes

Make sure the wiring is right for points, biggest thing is have to say is have the right baast resistor and curve in th distributor, no idea why people are scared of them good for 10K.

Yup. You can do just that. As long as you use the wire coming from the the ballast, you're good.

When the EMP happens, we will still be driving around! All those electronic ignition guys will be sitting on the side of the road like a FORD!

As a matter of fact you can just leave the electronic ignition part of the wiring and by running the wire to the coil from the correct ballast resister have the option to switch at some point in the future with minimal effort.

Heck if you wanted to I think you can even use your points dist to trigger the electronic ignition box!

^^I've posted this many times.........all you need do if the ECU was properly wired to start with is unplug the ECU, drop in the points dist, and run the dist primary wire to coil NEG. The ballast wiring, whether 2 or 4 pin, can remain the same^^

When the EMP happens, we will still be driving around! All those electronic ignition guys will be sitting on the side of the road like a FORD!
"EMP" is that like Y2K?..
The very first thing I do when I see points in distributor is taking screwdriver pluck them out of there and put some patronics in put the cap on and never looked back...
Setting the points and doing attack and dwell meter and lubricating them and cleaning them is just a really ridiculous at this day and age..
Is The edge wearing off them are they getting worn do they need replaced...
Flick! They're gone...
I'm not scared of them at all I've adjusted them cleaned them lubricated them change them dozens and dozens of times... I haven't changed the set of petronics points once...

^^I've posted this many times.........all you need do if the ECU was properly wired to start with is unplug the ECU, drop in the points dist, and run the dist primary wire to coil NEG. The ballast wiring, whether 2 or 4 pin, can remain the same^^
I agree with this ^^ Been there, done that!

When I open a customers distributor cap and see them I asked them if they want me to teach them how to change them lubricate them adjust them and maintain them or do we want to just buy a set of petronics and put them in there and be done with them...
Same answer every single time....

"EMP" is that like Y2K?..
The very first thing I do when I see points in distributor is taking screwdriver pluck them out of there and put some patronics in put the cap on and never looked back...
Setting the points and doing attack and dwell meter and lubricating them and cleaning them is just a really ridiculous at this day and age..
Is The edge wearing off them are they getting worn do they need replaced...
Flick! They're gone...
I'm not scared of them at all I've adjusted them cleaned them lubricated them change them dozens and dozens of times... I haven't changed the set of petronics points once...
Especially the replacement points you buy now days. My 66 still has the original dual point distributor and that's what I run with some 50 year old quality Filko points and condenser. My 70 has a Pertronix in the original single point distributor and haven't had a issue in 5 or 6 years now.

The very first thing I do when I see points in distributor is taking screwdriver pluck them out of there and put some patronics in put the cap on and never looked back
I have no issue with electronic ignitions, but if you do a search on FABO the number of "my engine will not start and I have points" is like 5 and "my engine will not start and I have electronic" is like 500, ( I made up the numbers, they are just for emphasis)

Especially the replacement points you buy now days. My 66 still has the original dual point distributor and that's what I run with some 50 year old quality Filko points and condenser. My 70 has a Pertronix in the original single point distributor and haven't had a issue in 5 or 6 years now.
Quality parts has tanked, including points as well. But, some name brands we know and trust has had a turn in the barrel too recently... That being said, I have no issue with pertronix but the OP stated he is old school and wants points. I understand that as well.

Yeah I’m going the other way cause I’m weird n old school like that. A new ecu wire harness was given to me. Can I still use it and plug my points distributor to the coil and just run a hot wire to the other side of coil and ignore all the electronic ignition stuff? Of course I’ll run through a ballast. Thanks dudes
Yep, as stated above, just unplug the ECU and run your points distributor wire to the neg post on the coil.

Personalllt I woulld just run a harness for points easy enough, you have to mod the ecu one dellete the 5 pin plug or cap it , dump the duall ballast and go single etc. To me no way I would.

Ignition parts stay with pre 80 items point tension and the new condensers suck, even blue streak went downhill. Accel is about the only brand stil good but not cheap. If needed I have a ton of NORS I have accumuated if needed.

Last edited:
I had a neighbor back n Mo that had an old RamCharger. He ran a points dist, with its ECU setup. He said worked well, just burned up the points every month! I gave him a used electonic dist. He later junked it along with my dist. Thanks neighbor, and go figure!!??

-
Back