poly box ? (it's a battery in the back question)

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
having that long battery cable made is expensive enough.
the rules say a metal box, aluminum box, or a poly box?
does this mean I can buy one of those cheap plastic boxes at the parts store?
Seal it up, and run a breather down through the trunk?
i guess the real question is--what is NHRA approved plastic? ? (Poly)

Thank you flyfish! going with Moroso plastic one, they have it at the local parts store for $6 more and I can get it today.

The issue is hydrogen gas sometimes generated by a battery. Really don't want that in the trunk. Particularly since to be NHRA compliant he's also likely going to have to have a battery kill switch back there. Very few of those are "ignition protected." Un-vented battery + turning of the battery has the potential to launch the trunk lid or something similarly catastrophic.

Is your trunk not sealed the passenger compandUOTE]

Ya the lnterior is gutted. it's the space duster. Very heavy back seat and deck panals. Is there
A reason to seal the trunk besides aesthetics? almost done, sealed box in. Battery/ alternator
disconnect in. Long (18 ft.) #1 wire in.

you can seal the trunk from the passenger area with a .032 aluminium or .024 steel sheet then the battery does not have to be in a box..

you can seal sheet metalk from the passenger area with a .032 aluminium or .024 steel sheet then the battery does not have to be in a box..

It seems cheep and easy and lighter (little plastic box) than sheet metaling the back area?

The metal bulkhead requirement, as I've long read it, is to control any fuel splash from reaching the driver in an accident. Has nothing to do with battery venting.

The metal bulkhead requirement, as I've long read it, is to control any fuel splash from reaching the driver in an accident. Has nothing to do with battery venting.

I see, so this is probably something I have to worry about if I put a fuel cell in?

Do you have a rule book from the racing org that you plan to race with? If not, you really need one.

Do you have a rule book from the racing org that you plan to race with? If not, you really need one.

you're right I could probably use a rule book. I do plan to run a small series next year at a bigger a few miles away from my house. But I've been passing the Friday night grudge match tec of the local track.

-
Back