Possible wrong lower kick down rod for my 340/727

-
If all you need is the upper swivel, I may have another one like the red one in my parts bin.

Thanks j I have everything in his picture except for the swivel which I just bought off of eBay. I did send him a message asking him to measure the length of the lower rod though to see if the one I have is the correct length, mine does look just like the one he has pictured same bends and all.

The lower rod length shown in post one is correct.
This rod was used on 68-73 A Bodies with 340-727.
Chrysler part number 2863719.

I noticed the upper bell crank/swivel looks to be at the correct angle doesn't have a hole in the inboard flange for the 3/16 pin to lock it which is one of the first steps to setting up the linkage. The lower bellcrank/swivel legs should both be forward of the fulcrum for the correct arrangement but you never showed what you have downunda. There is a difference between the 383/440 lower swivel and the 273/318/340.

It does not matter if the upper link is bent like a pretzel as long as the ends are where they should be, the slot is horizontal, and it doesn't hit anything.

The system should be assembled up to the intermediate link where it attaches to the upper swivel, the upper swivel locked, The trans arm pushed forward, then the intermediate length adjusted to align with the locked angle upper swivel attachment. It doesn't look like you adjusted it yet.

Last edited:
OK it has already been determined that I have the wrong swivel up top, a new and correct one has been ordered that is out of the way. The biggest problem that I am facing right now is the fact that even without any of the other kickdown rods connected I cannot connect the lower rod from the lower swivel to the trans lever, lower rod in the bottom hole in the lower swivel. With the trans lever pushed all the way forward and the lower swivel connected to the lower rod it is still about 1" to long to get into the hole on the trans lever and hits on the bottom of the lower swivel mounting bracket that screws into the trans. Look at the pictures, I know they are not the best but you will get the idea. This leaves me thinking that I have the wrong trans lever? maybe the one I have is oriented wrong. Take a look and tell me what you think. The trans lever that I have is 3 1/2" long from back to front where the rod connects.

IMG_4321.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4324.JPG

IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4326.JPG

IMG_4327.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

The trans lever is pushed forward while adjusting the length of the intermediate rod length, not to connect the lower swivel to the lower rod. Can you not rotate the swivel clockwise with the upper swivel disconnected from the intermediate rod?

If you've got all 3 of the correct rods that are the correct lengths and you still can't get the lower rod connected, there is something else going on.
It's been mentioned to check the bell crank (trans mounted - #1 in the pic) swivel for proper orientation and apparently there are different ones for different applications like there are for the upper swivel at the intake. '

72 manual:
Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 11.58.19 AM.png

I would also measure your transmission lever to verify it's the shorter one (just over 2")
pic from my thread provided by @oldkimmer. You need the shorter one but also look at the different angle of the keyway between the 3 shorter levers. If you have the short one already, you may need a short one with a different key orientation.
IMG_2893.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking at this picture above and going from left to right, left being #1 right being #5 the lever that I have right now would be #5 and the way the keyway is it pushes the lever forward toward the front of the trans and mine is the longer one but it measures 3 1/2" long. Also the hole for the rod is the bigger one so that eliminates #3 and #4 small hole in #3 and keyway style in #4. If I had the choice to pick which one to try I would go with #1 simply because it looks like the keyway would push the lever toward the back of the trans and it also has the bigger hole.

Thank you for that info, Roseville is not that far from me. Based on what you are showing me here it tells me that the lever that I have on my trans right now is wrong and is probably why I can not get the rod connected correctly.
Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
As you can see, there is so much demand for that lever, it is now being reproduced.
Only one kickdown lever was used on 68-73 A Bodies with 340/727.
Examples can also be seen on eBay by searching the Chrysler part number 2536270.

It's just amazing how things go together so well when you have the right parts. I stopped in at Roseville Moparts today and picked up the correct lower trans lever #2536270 I installed it no problem and the lower rod went on the lever and to the lower swivel just like it was made for it. LOL The correct upper swivel is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow so I can finish it up and adjust it properly, we will see how that goes. Thank You to all who chipped in, I guess if it was easy to build these cars then everybody would be doing it.
Thanks again
Bob

All parts are on, it shifts real nice, and even the kickdown works like it should. One more step closer to being finished. Thank You all
Bob

-
Back