Potentially Huge T5 Breakthrough!

-
I dont think the bellhousings are the same... I wanted to put a mopar small block in my amx and wouldn't line up.

They did make a 727 for small block mopar and also a 727 with amc bellhousing.

I put a t5 in my 79 amx though. Had an sr4 4 speed with multi pattern bellhousing. Still had to change the bearing retainer as the stock ford t5 had a larger retainer and wouldn't fit into my bell. Also had to cut the bearing retainer down some where the throw out bearing goes on so it wouldn't contact the clutch disk do to ford/amc bellhousing height differecne

I think you can send a mopar bell housing off to kiesler and they will re drill it for like $75 bucks. T5's won't hold any power. You need a tremec unless you plan on taking it easy. The first gen tremecs are out there. They cost a little more but are well worth it.

I think you can send a mopar bell housing off to kiesler and they will re drill it for like $75 bucks. T5's won't hold any power. You need a tremec unless you plan on taking it easy. The first gen tremecs are out there. They cost a little more but are well worth it.

What is the tremec? And what did they come in?

I don't think Keisler's doing much of anything these days, from what I've heard.

id like to know more about this, I have a 78 4x4 id like to 5 speed but im not paying 1200 bucks just for the trans since dodge didn't make very many 5 speed 4x4s and the nv3500s are hard to find

What is the tremec? And what did they come in?

Tremec is the tranny used in the corvette, viper, camaro, mustang, challenger, etc. the TR-6060 is the one you'll find in the newer versions of the cars listed.

becareful when dealing with mustangs, the v8 ones have been beat on and ive never owned a mustang where the trans didn't grind

I don't think Keisler's doing much of anything these days, from what I've heard.

From what I read on another thread, Keisler has filed Chapter 7. If the T-5 was a better box, the news on this thread would be great. As is, if there's a Hi-Po kit for the T-5, it might make a nice small block tranny.

If anyone knows of a T-5 strength program or kit, please post. I'll stay tuned.

TKO tranny's are the next evolution from the T-5 and even they suck IMO. Shift fork bending POS.

tremec, tko, t5, it's all the same. They are all versions of the t5. I just went to keislers web site. If they are filing chapter 7 they're still selling tranny parts and trannys. You can get a bell housing that will work without having to do crazy mods like run your starter on the wrong side. I know they use to re drill 833 bell housing for tremec or t5 or tko. They are all version of the world class. The first gen tremec would hold 450 hp. Then the tko 500 and 600 came after. The thing you have to watch out for is all the different shifter set ups. You need to call one of these places that sells the stuff and talk to their tech. Tell them where your tranny came from and what to do to make it work. Call keisler Toll Free: 888-609-0094. They are expensive! Be direct, like I need this bellhousing and what to do to make the shifter work. They'll try to sell you $4000 worth of new transmission crap. Be smart with it and if you break the t5 you'll be set up to slide any of these trannys in. I'm all for cruising on the highway and spanking the late models at the red light.

So what is a good trany besides the new 6 speeds? Was there a decent 90s 5spd?

The only good 5-speed trans for strength made in the 90's is the NV4500. You wouldn't want that in a car even if it would fit.

The T56 6-speed is by far the best thing made in the 90's. Right gearing 1-4 as well. Good and strong.

The A-833 is ultra beefy. by the time you get done messing around, you probably could have just added a gear vendors to an A-833.

Personally I don't have any complaints about the T5 in my Mustang. My 95 Mustang convertible 5 sp is making 310hp to the rear wheels.
The car weighs 3786 lbs with me in it and I've had it to the track numerous times with sticky slicks installed and sidestepping the clutch at 6000 rpm many times. I've had no troubles with it at all and I have 120,000 km of street driving on it too.
The later Mustang T5's were stronger and the 94/95 T5's had a longer input shaft than the 93 and older.

Yeah, well thats why I said possible. I thought I was really on to something here haha. The only thing I wasnt aware of is that Chrysler kept AMC's bellhousing pattern for their jeeps. That threw me a curve ball.
It’s been that way forever, AMC also used 727, and 400 auto trans in their vehicles.
One of the best set ups for a 4x4 is find a t-18 in an old Jeep truck and put it in a CJ, it gives you the bull-dog 1st and reverse, perfect for crawling.
As far as use in a car, anything is possible, but don’t be dissapointed when you spend a bunch of money on something that does not work.
Cj’s were probably built with the weakest transmissions ever.
But I have yet to break a T-176 wheeling it hard. 80 CJ-5 on 40” tires would destroy rear ends, (7 is the record for me in one month) but the trans lived.

-
Back