Power or manual steering?

-

BTYM

Reaction score
The code on my fender tag says that this is a power steering car. The engine was swapped before I owned it, and now I'm just trying to figure out what exactly was done. I don't see a power steering reservoir or pump anywhere. I took some pictures. Can anyone tell by looking at it whether or not this is a power steering gearbox, or if it was converted to manual steering? Also what is that lock ring type thing that is currently just sliding up and down on the steering shaft?

Attachments

• Pic of dart 028.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Pic of dart 029.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Pic of dart 030.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 128
  • Pic of dart 031.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Pic of dart 032.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 128
  • Pic of dart 033.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 116
That is a manual steering box. The steering coupler connects the box to the steering column. That retainer is supposed to be attached to the coupler. It's very common for that retainer to come loose.

You should keep an eye out for a replacement steering shaft. It looks like the one in the car has been welded. The manual steering box takes a longer steering shaft. Someone welded an extension onto yours.

Well, that's good then. I thought I was going crazy lol. Now that I know what I have, I'll start looking for that shaft. Thank you.

Gonna leave the manual steering in there??

So far we have a change to manual steering, what appears to be a K frame swap from what I could tell from the pics in the other thread, and that goober welding around the K frame bolt may be because they stripped or turned out the k frame mount inside the frame there and welded the bolt into the hole and welded the K frame to the frame!!

I be willing to bet so far that they had the K frame from the car that the motor came from, and it also had the manual gear box and maybe the LCA's and such, and they just did a swap in with whatever parts they had and altered the steering shaft and such to work with their newfound setup! It is a biscuit style K frame and your car should have the spool mounts!! Thats what I think...so far!! Geof

Just remember, 1972 and newer Mopars have collapsable steering columns. It is just a square shaft inside the steering tube with plastic nubs on them that collapse when impact happens. You can replace just the shaft, shear off the nubs and extend shaft down to coupler. Easy peasy. Couplers can be rebuilt/replaced. Again, easy peasy. I did this with my '72 Scamp. Went from power steering to manual steering. I changed the coupler to a rag joint. Again, again, easy peasy

-
Back