Power Steering box turns hard left when steering wheel released - yikes!

-

cgfen

Reaction score
I have a 69 "Cuda 383 that has a rebuilt power steering box. The steering box was rebuilt and unused for ~ 3 years before install and use.
Once in use it demonstrated a built in permanent left turn to the steering stop. If the steering wheel is not held static, the wheels turn hard left and stay there unless steering wheel input is applied.

I took the box back to the shop and they corrected the issue. Not sure what they did and they "don't remember".

After several hours of normal operation, I replaced the high pressure hose and in the process damaged the brass fitting where the HP hose connects.
Due to space constraints I removed the component on top of the box that bolts to the box, instead of removing the box from the car to access the brass fitting, see photo.

Upon re-assembly the hard left turn has returned.

Is this assembly that I removed some type of switching valve that I may have re-assembled incorrectly?
It seemed pretty basic.
The assembly was attached to the box by two cap screws and covered a rod and a spring that were inserted into the steering box.
I don't see anything obvious about a different re-assembly that would cause the hard left turn to go away.

Thanks
Craig

Added a better photo of what I removed, the High Pressure Metering Valve

HP connector.JPG

HP connector 2.JPG

Last edited:
The valve is stuck or you have debris in it.Take the 2 bolts holding the low pressure fitting off and remove the big fitting at the back of the valve along with the screw in high pressure fitting. Dont loose the o-rings. Push the round valve out inside and remove, clean everything up so that the valve moves freely and make sure the little screen is also clean. Fill and bleed. Sometimes it seems to take forever to bleed the system!

Or it loosened and shifted when did the hose! You can loosen the mount bolts and tweak it back to center with some patience. May take a few tries to figure which way it shifted.

Edit: if you removed the metering valve it "Must" be recentered!

Thanks to both for the feedback.
I'll do a bit more tweaking this week, but will likely return with a question or two regarding re-centering.

Re-centering what?
The valve housing is held in a fixed location by the two mounting bolts
The shaft that slides horizontally within the valve housing does move back-n-forth. I think you mean this needs to be centered???? That would make sense.

More soon.
Thanks again.

Craig

Photo of the proud owner below.
I'm just the wrench / project manager.....................

IMG_2416.JPG

I'll do a bit more tweaking this week, but will likely return with a question or two regarding re-centering.

Re-centering what?
The shaft that slides horizontally within the valve housing does move back-n-forth. I think you mean this needs to be centered???? That would make sense.

More soon.
Thanks again.

Craig

View attachment 1715023388

Nice looking fish! Original BB?

That valve still moves, just loosen the bolts a tad and tap it one direction or the other to determine how it changes. I had a 68 notch I had to replace a seal on and it was challenging to get it re-centered. A little movement one direction or the other lined it back up and it stopped spinning the wheel at idle.

Re-centering what?

More soon.
Thanks again.

Craig

View attachment 1715023388
The mount with the two bolts will move left and right slightly. move it opposite the way the wheel is turning.. When I did it I loosened the two bolts slightly and started the motor and then moved it until the wheel stayed stationary. Works great now.

The mount with the two bolts will move left and right slightly. move it opposite the way the wheel is turning.. When I did it I loosened the two bolts slightly and started the motor and then moved it until the wheel stayed stationary. Works great now.

^^^^^^^^^

Could not remember if you move it away from the spin direction or towards it. It don't take much though!

The valve moves forward and backward not side to side, if you got it straight great if not you must jack up both front wheels so they are both off the ground, then crack the bolts loose and start the engine tap the valve forward then backward till it no longer steers by it self. shut off the engine and restart it and watch the wheel if it kicks right or left tap the valve till it stops kicking and tighten the bolts. That's how you do it.

The valve moves forward and backward not side to side, if you got it straight great if not you must jack up both front wheels so they are both off the ground, then crack the bolts loose and start the engine tap the valve forward then backward till it no longer steers by it self. shut off the engine and restart it and watch the wheel if it kicks right or left tap the valve till it stops kicking and tighten the bolts. That's how you do it.

Sounds familiar!! It wasn't too long ago I replaced the o-rings under that valve and went through this. Yep forward and backward. I was literally tapping mine a thousandth of an inch at a time to get it centered. Couldn't believe how sensitive it was.

Sounds familiar!! It wasn't too long ago I replaced the o-rings under that valve and went through this. Yep forward and backward. I was literally tapping mine a thousandth of an inch at a time to get it centered. Couldn't believe how sensitive it was.

Thanx for confirming that! I know it moves just forgot which way! That was 28 years ago and likely a Half million beers!:lol:

Thanx for confirming that! I know it moves just forgot which way! That was 28 years ago and likely a Half million beers!:lol:
Foreword and back is left to right when you are standing at the fender looking down at the box. Which is where you would be when working on it.:lol:

Success!
I moved it left and right (as viewed when I leaned over the fender) and found a spot where the steering was neutral.
It blows my mind that 1/8" or less makes a difference.

Thanks to all who contributed to my education.

Success!
I moved it left and right (as viewed when I leaned over the fender) and found a spot where the steering was neutral.
It blows my mind that 1/8" or less makes a difference.

Thanks to all who contributed to my education.

Cool was that car the green BB car and it is a real H-Code??

Been researching you! I remember now. Your wife’s car is power steering. That hose set-up is not correct. Maybe the correct hose but the box valve connection should have a 90 degree fitting toward the inner fender.

Been researching you! I remember now. Your wife’s car is power steering. That hose set-up is not correct. Maybe the correct hose but the box valve connection should have a 90 degree fitting toward the inner fender.

You have a sharp eye.
I installed the "wrong" fitting because I had the wrong replacement easily at hand. I now have the correct fitting, and will re-install. Be well.

You have a sharp eye.
I installed the "wrong" fitting because I had the wrong replacement easily at hand. I now have the correct fitting, and will re-install. Be well.

I am converting mine to PS! I have all the correct pieces for a 69 383S short of the box. Anything you can share would be appreciated!

Sorry. I don't have much to offer.
We bought the car in ~ 2016 from a guy who was the master of half-a$$ed repairs, but don't get me started.............. maybe I'll post what I found on one area of the car in the thread I started a while back about refurbishing grills / grilles.
When we took the car to paint, I noticed the hard left turn.
I removed the steering box and took it to the vendor who had rebuilt it for the 1/2 *** guy. I think he had it refreshed due to leaking seals after sitting unused for 40 years.
The vendor bench tested and fixed the issue??????
but
they either didn't fix the issue or it nearly immediately came back, I don't really remember.

That's when i started this thread.

I will say the steering feel with the way over-boosted power steering is terrible. Unless you HAVE TO HAVE PS, stick with manual and firm feel box.

We do need it since my wife is primary driver.

be well.

Sorry. I don't have much to offer.
We bought the car in ~ 2016 from a guy who was the master of half-a$$ed repairs, but don't get me started.............. maybe I'll post what I found on one area of the car in the thread I started a while back about refurbishing grills / grilles.
When we took the car to paint, I noticed the hard left turn.
I removed the steering box and took it to the vendor who had rebuilt it for the 1/2 *** guy. I think he had it refreshed due to leaking seals after sitting unused for 40 years.
The vendor bench tested and fixed the issue??????
but
they either didn't fix the issue or it nearly immediately came back, I don't really remember.

That's when i started this thread.

I will say the steering feel with the way over-boosted power steering is terrible. Unless you HAVE TO HAVE PS, stick with manual and firm feel box.

We do need it since my wife is primary driver.

be well.

You can replace the high pressure spring in the pump with a low pressure spring from a /6. It is supposed to make a big difference. Firm Feel also rebuilds a better feeling box.

-
Back