Power steering column rebuild...?

-

tnts72

Reaction score
Wondered why the steering was so sloppy in the duster. It appears the previous owner attempted to take the lower section apart by prying the metal plate loose, but didn't remove the column and fix it... So do I rebuild the power column and keep ps or do I look for a manual steering setup and junk the lower end of this thing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 243
Interesting. I have a telescopic shaft out of a jeep with upper and lower u joints I could probably retrofit...

Again very nice work. Is there a trick to removing the small pin that keeps the steering box coupler from pulling off the end of the steering shaft? Wondering if I can drive it out or just drill it... Might try putting a small socket in there between the shaft and the coupler and attempting to drive it inwards then it may be reusable with no potential damage to the coupler from drilling if it were to be slightly off center...

If it is not damaged just keep it and replace the rest. The rebuild kit is 20 bucks.

If it is damaged and truely needs to be replaced, use a press and heat that is the only thing that worked for me

I also recommend replacing the upper and lower bearings.

So I have browsed a few of the rebuild threads and must admit there is a wealth of knowledge here.

My initial idea is to source a bearing, $4 ebay special, that would allow me to retain the shifter tube in hopes of making the indicator on the column function with a ratchet shifter actually doing the shifting... I realize the factory setup was made to use the rod in order actuate the linkage on the transmission. What I am wondering is - could I remove the shifter from the column in the car and the locking mechanism which requires you to pull the handle towards you to shift from park yet get the column to function normally using a ratchet shifter...? Curious to see if this has been attempted or if someone with a higher understanding of the internal workings of the column could tell me if this is a waste of time...

I was able to disassemble the lower end of the column, actually set a 5/16 nylock nut in there between the outer shell of the coupler housing and the shaft. Couple taps with a small punch and the pin was removed successfully. The pin in the lower end of the shaft was in there a little better... I was able to remove it without damaging it and got by without a press thanks to a couple BFH's, a socket, punch, and some blocks of wood... So the spring clip and the little I shaped blocks are in good shape and will be reused - and the pin will still pass through them after being removed. :burnout:

I am taking pictures of this stuff along the way, hopefully if all goes to plan I will post a series of things in the Members Restorations Thread once I get a handle on which direction this old girl is heading...

I was able to disassemble the lower end of the column, actually set a 5/16 nylock nut in there between the outer shell of the coupler housing and the shaft. Couple taps with a small punch and the pin was removed successfully. The pin in the lower end of the shaft was in there a little better... I was able to remove it without damaging it and got by without a press thanks to a couple BFH's, a socket, punch, and some blocks of wood... So the spring clip and the little I shaped blocks are in good shape and will be reused - and the pin will still pass through them after being removed. :burnout:

I am taking pictures of this stuff along the way, hopefully if all goes to plan I will post a series of things in the Members Restorations Thread once I get a handle on which direction this old girl is heading...

Awesome!

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

AlV

-
Back