Power steering fluid in the transmission

-

Bil_B

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Guy that was "helping me out" just dumped 12 oz of steering fluid into the transmission, V8, 273.

What needs to be done? Ugh.

Thanks,
Bill

I don't know, I'd be VERY tempted to change oil, IF it's got gear oil. The service manuals "sorta" recommend ATF in those gearboxes in cold wx and for hard shifting problems.

67Dart273, I'm confused by your post. Sorry man, I'm not a pro. What do you mean by oil/ gear oil... Transmission fluid?

I can't understand why people keep putting fluids in the wrong device. The power steering people say ABSOLUTELY DO NOT put A.T. fluid in the PS system. I don't know if the PS fluid in the transmission will be detrimental or not. For the sake of your Mopar, maybe your friend should "help" you less.

Does anyone have a definitive answer? Wondering if I should get it towed back to my place or if I can drive it a few miles...

I'm confused as type F transmission fluid in my ps pump.....since the 60's....

67Dart273, I'm confused by your post. Sorry man, I'm not a pro. What do you mean by oil/ gear oil... Transmission fluid?

Sorry. To me "gear oil" is the age old "used to be" 90 weight, nowadays also multi-weight such as 80-140 or whatever.

If you read the service manuals, under certain conditions Ma recommended ATF which for traditional Mopars "used to be" same as PS, IE Dexron ATF

The thing is, "I don't know" what you'd get mixing the two. They are very different products. This is not like, say, putting 40wt oil into an engine with 10-30 in there.

Thanks 67Dart273. Since it's only 12oz and it was already topped off, I'm *thinking* I'll be okay getting it home. Will flush and refill tomorrow.

the confusion is cuz we do not know if u have a standard or automatic trans. note to all people posting - give more info. note to all people giving advice - do not assume. power steering fluid is very similar to auto trans fluid, and 12 oz is only around 4%, nothing to worry about

Well my owners manual states that all transmissions auto and manual where filled with dexron 3 from factory. And given what oils were around back then I'd imagine as it was back home in New Zealand older car all got dexron 3 both in the Trans as well as the steering.
For that matterror I've run all my 2 stroke motocross bikes with it in the Trans as well as all late model Hondas.
I'd imagine there is very little difference in the oil compared to what was in your box. April from being maybe a little over full if it was added when not needed

It's automatic. I'll keep that in mind, Marcohotrod... Apologies for the oversight.

To the OP, I'm assuming your car has an automatic. If so, 12 oz of PS fluid shouldn't be too big of a concern given the volume of ATF and the fact that "PS Fluid" is basically ATF without the friction modifiers which aren't needed in steering gears.

The correct fix would be to drop the trans pan, drain the converter (if possible), blow out the cooler lines, replace the filter, adjust the bands, and refill with fresh fluid. In other words service the transmission.

Personally I would just drive it, but put a transmission oil change somewhere near the top of your to-do list.

And, if you have a manual trans, simply drain and refill. Which is easy because it has a drain plug (you should consider adding a drain plug to your AT pan while it's off).

dont sweat it. TF's can operate with about any oil in there, short of motor oil.

Guy that was "helping me out" just dumped 12 oz of steering fluid into the transmission, V8, 273.
If any of that guy's beer went into the trannie too, I would be more worried about that..... geez, that kind of 'help' you do not need!

that transmission holds roughly 2 gallons of ATF , 12 ounces is nothing, it wont hurt it. hell , it may even help. I have ran ATF in power steering pumps for years and never had one let go. I knew a dude that would dump 12 oz of brake fluid in his transmissions hoping it would swell the seals and stop the leaks.

I knew a dude that would dump 12 oz of brake fluid in his transmissions hoping it would swell the seals and stop the leaks.

That actually works (for awhile) then the seals get harder than ever and the trans just quits working.

PS fluid isn't going to hurt a single thing in that TF trans, as has been said already.

I also have to laugh when someone say's "Do NOT put ATF in power steering boxes"
I ask them "Oh my God, you mean it'll kill it after 40 years of doing that?" :D

I prefer to keep the different fluids in their proper components. They make them different colors so you know what is or is not leaking.

-
Back