Power steering pulley issues...

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So here's my predicament. I recently got a 318 power steering bracket and pump from another 318 engine. The pulley was very warped so I pulled the brackets and installed them onto my old power steering pump which was on a slant six engine. As you guys probably already know, when I tried to install the slant six pump and the 318 bracket, the power steering pump was obviously too far forward in order to line up with the crank pulley. Any ideas or remedies? Thank guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 758
Use the 318 brackets, and buy a rebuilt power steering pump. Then turn in the old core and be done with it. Either contact a rebuilder locally to cut out the middle man or go to the local big chain auto store. Their markup is a lot less. My friend is corporate Mgmt for a large chain store. He showed me who they used and I was surprised that they use the same rebuilder I do and only mark it up $25 dollars higher. $75 dollars is what the chain store wants. I get it directly for $50 dollars. The chain stores can also order rebuild kits as well to do it yourself. Either way you go it's better than what some of the high dollar specialty Mopar shops have charged..... There was a thread not so long ago about it. Believe it was like 300+ dollars a member paid, then found the invoice for like $179 or so. What some charge is nuts! I Won't say who the shop was he used but you all may remember the story. Bottom line research before you buy but get another 318 unit rather than mess with the slant six unit and pulley.

I was hoping that I could just replace the power steering pump pulley or something easier. After all the pump itself is still good. Its Just that the pulleys don't line up. If this is truly the only way to get it done, then so be it ill go get another steering pump and as you said I'll use the old one for a core. But as it stands I am just wondering if you can swap pulleys from one power steering pump to another? Thanks

Here is one example I found just doing a quick lookup. At O'reilly's they have one for $61.99
Keep in mind price and part number may differ depending on your Cars year. You'd still need a pulley off eBay or the parts store may be able to order one. Autozone is able to order parts kits, seals and the pulley as well. At least at the one I checked.....
Here's a link: www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A...g+pump_1088412_-1&keyword=power+steering+pump

Yes you can remove and replace the pulley. Just ask for a power steering pulley removal tool. Its pretty cheap to get and is similar to a steering wheel puller. Just some bolts etc. and you turn the center one to pull it up. They are pressed on. Just make sure that the pump itself is the same if your using the one from the slant. I haven't compared the two side by side.... There may be differences in the pump's shaft size and length though. If using the pump from the 318 then just clean and thoroughly inspect its condition. If all is good then swap for a good pulley and your set.

Just make sure your pump is in good shape, it would be a shame to have to pull it a couple months later and swap the pulley to another unit since you had it out already.

Sounds good. Just saw the link above for the new pump. If it turns out that I need a new one ill keep that in mind. But for now I think I'll probably get the pulley puller kit first and buy another pulley. Thanks for the help and info!

No problem. Just remember do it right, do it once...... And do research first.

Yes. Good advice. I'd like to do the right way the first time. And I am researching it... That's why I'm on FABO trying to get some info. Thanks!

I was hoping that I could just replace the power steering pump pulley or something easier. After all the pump itself is still good. Its Just that the pulleys don't line up. If this is truly the only way to get it done, then so be it ill go get another steering pump and as you said I'll use the old one for a core. But as it stands I am just wondering if you can swap pulleys from one power steering pump to another? Thanks

I ran in to this debacle about 4 years ago. I ended up getting a junk yard power steering pump w/ pulley. Then getting a custom made hose, which was another whole debacle on to itself. I hope you find an easier way than I did!

it almost appears as your pump is made for a /6. you'll have to change the pulley or the pump

it almost appears as your pump is made for a /6. you'll have to change the pulley or the pump

That's exactly right. He used a slant six pump and pulley with the 318 brackets. Which does not line up. He's going to get a pulley removal tool and a new 318 pulley and either use his 318 pump or get a rebuilt 318 pump pending it's condition......

Yes. Good advice. I'd like to do the right way the first time. And I am researching it... That's why I'm on FABO trying to get some info. Thanks!

Your welcome! Feel free to hit the thanks button if the advice helps in any way

-
Back