power tour ???

-

joel d. snyder

Reaction score
i'm sure some of you guys have went on the hot rod power tour. i'm planning on going and would like some idea what to expect. do you drive in the morning or afternoon? how the heck do you get gas with that many cars? food likewise. only need rooms for one night at each location?

I went in 2005 and would love to go again one day. What I remember about it was the huge crowds of people, especially in the smaller towns coming out to see the rolling car show. Never had any problems getting fuel or food along the way, but you will find it slow going when passing through the towns as most of them just don't have the infrastructure to handle the volume of traffic. That is a big part of the fun IMHO, as well as frequent burnouts and smokeshows.
I tried to get on the road early each day, that allowed for some side trips and sightseeing while still making the day's wrap-up event where the door prize draws by the event sponsors happen. I was fortunate enough that I won a new Tru-Trac differential for my Dart at one stop.
Book all of your hotels in advance if possible, and if you stay at the ones that are affiliated with the tour, you'll have a great time with all the other gearheads having a great time.
Are you planning to do the "long haul" or just a a few days?

They really do a good job of creating an interesting route using mostly secondary highways instead of interstates, which allows you to see much more.

I am going this year albeit wimping out and taking the 2006 Daytona and not the Duster. Any idea when they send the route information out? This is my first year going.

I am going this year albeit wimping out and taking the 2006 Daytona and not the Duster. Any idea when they send the route information out? This is my first year going.
Check the Hot Rod website, the route should be announced by the beginning of April, possibly earlier depending on any potential conflicts or major road construction projects that may require a change of the route.

My wife and I are going. All of it. In the 66 dart

20230308_104254.jpg

My brother and I were talking about going in a couple years, maybe taking his SS454 Chevelle, or one of his Trans Ams.

I went in 09 and 10 in my 78 Fury 2 Dr.
I "lost" a couple of people on the way home in 09, did the whole thing that year. A couple of weeks later I saw some of those who I mostly saw a long the ride at a car show and I was asked where I disappeared to once we crossed from Louisville into Indiana. I went home. I only stopped once after that a long the way home, about Lafayette. I was asked "You didn't have to stop for gas"? Nope. Just stopped at. Cracker barrel in Lafayette to stretch our legs. I particularly remember the woman in the 69 Daytona saying she had to stop 3x for gas after Louisville. (I'm an hour south of Chicago, she's. A little closer to Chicago than me) I have a still stock 318, she's got a "built" 440.

I will be there driving my 1973 Duster (survivor-ish). I will look for FABO people. I will be doing most of the stops as I live in SC and the tour essentially circles my home!

LOL

RGAZ

I have never been BUT I have a car (75 AMC Hornet) that made the trip!!!!!

View attachment 1716067524
When I did it in 09 I discovered that every night when we looked to set up camp(all but 2 nights were in a tent at KOA's) 3 guys that were running together with AMC pacers and a guy in a Hornet like yours seemed to have the same idea as we did.... I show up at the campsite and there they were the whole way.

-
Back