Practice mufflers

-

VOETOM

Reaction score
Playing around with some paper and cardboard and fabricated some 19" by 5" by 11" offset-center mufflers with 3" inlets and outlets. Going to use these to test fit on a pal's car.
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN7619.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 858
  • DSCN7620.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 868
  • DSCN7621.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 832
The plan is to see how they fit under an A body and then fab real ones one of these days. We plan to use flanges on both inlet and outlet bushings to make large tailpipes and headpipes easy to get on and off.

Luckily, I have most of the real internals we need; just need to waterjet cut a couple of new end caps and the shell.

They will be 2" longer versions of these (shown below) and they sound tougher then heck and flow like gangbusters and are relatively resonation free on the powerful Chevy-engined NOVA they are currently under.
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN0187.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 774
The plan is to see how they fit under an A body and then fab real ones one of these days. We plan to use flanges on both inlet and outlet bushings to make large tailpipes and headpipes easy to get on and off. Luckily, I have most of the real internals we need; just need to waterjet cut a couple of new end caps and the shell. They will be 2" longer versions of these (shown below) and they sound tougher then heck and flow like gangbusters and are relatively resonation free on the powerful Chevy-engined NOVA they are currently under. Tom
what do a pair of those go for?

Lenght will just about fit you will need a fairly short radius on the first bend of the tailpipes,4"centerlineradius will probably work if its a 90degree bend and even then you might end up cutting alitle of the outlet and inlet fittings of the muffler,11"wide that will probably just about fit,you will be close to the E-brakecable brakets on the framerail but im sure these things will fit in nicely althought very tight clearances everywhere. this goes from memory but i know a 18" bodyshell 3½" muffler is about as long of a muffler you can fit in into those pockets under the rearsat and that is with tailpipes made up out of very short radius bends and keeping most of the fittings.

sorry for the long writing.

These are going in my car when done. It's a 67 so it has the one year gas tank, the rear has been mini tubbed, P325/50R15 tires, narrowed Strange 60 rear converted to aftermarket discs, fabbed up parking brakes. Lots of things to make exhaust and tail pipes interesting to install.

Thank you 1Fast 340 for all the info. We will most certainly use it when Brian and I start test fitting.
Mopar Daddy, you know, it has been a while since I bought parts but I will likely have $25 to $35 worth of parts in each one since I need to buy the ceramic fiber, the st st. sleeves and the perforated tubing. The outer shell material is relatively inexpensive and I have access to a water jet to cut what I need. Already have the flanges too.
Tom

Here again are some of the internals.

Attachments

• DSCN0199.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 708
Thank you 1Fast 340 for all the info. We will most certainly use it when Brian and I start test fitting.
Mopar Daddy, you know, it has been a while since I bought parts but I will likely have $25 to $35 worth of parts in each one since I need to buy the ceramic fiber, the st st. sleeves and the perforated tubing. The outer shell material is relatively inexpensive and I have access to a water jet to cut what I need. Already have the flanges too.
Tom

Any time,i always find your posts intresting and informative:prayer:

Another thing,dont forget to check for fit on both sides,easy to forget about that drivetrain being offset under the car.

A question aswell,where do you find the perforated tubing? im sure its available and made for something else than mufflers i just havent managed to figure out exactly what and i have almost worn out swedish google in my attempts to find it:banghead:

Thank you! I buy mine from Beverlin Mfg. Corp. in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The st. st. sleeve is coming from GMT (Global Material Technologies, Inc) from Palatine, Illinois.

In fact the driver's side muffler will be tight because of the differentials' offset towards that side.
Tom

The plan is to see how they fit under an A body and then fab real ones one of these days. We plan to use flanges on both inlet and outlet bushings to make large tailpipes and headpipes easy to get on and off.

Luckily, I have most of the real internals we need; just need to waterjet cut a couple of new end caps and the shell.

They will be 2" longer versions of these (shown below) and they sound tougher then heck and flow like gangbusters and are relatively resonation free on the powerful Chevy-engined NOVA they are currently under.
Tom

Tom, those are really cool. What do you get for a pair?

Look closely and you can see it installed!

Attachments

• DSCN7629.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 619
  • DSCN7628.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 631
  • DSCN7630.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 625
RRR, Never thought about it. I'd have to see how much I can scam my brother out of that helps me weld them. :)

It's hard to tell from the pictures but that is a BIG muffler tucked up under there. I only hope we can get the big pipes to tuck up as nicely!

thats a whole lot of muffler hidden right there!

will you do the tailpipes the same way as they are usualy run on a camaro/nova?
i have thought about doing them that way just never felt comfortable that the space would be enough once the rearsuspension is at work so to speak.

will you do the tailpipes the same way as they are usualy run on a camaro/nova?

No, the current plan is to run 3" tail pipes out the back with turn downs at the bumper. If we can make it fit. :banghead:

We water jet cut the shell and end caps and I bent the shell today and cut the perf. tubing and 45 degree pipes into the sections needed. I may get some welding done this week and need to go pick up some new 1" thick, 6 lb/cu ft. density Cer-Wool ceramic fiber.
The last photo shows a typical 3", three bolt header flange in the top right to let you all get a feel for the relative size of these.
Tom

Attachments

• DSCN7634.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN7636.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 532
  • DSCN7637.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCN7638.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 542
Is that a 7 1/4" with Mickey Thompson drag radials ? :bom:

Nice work on the mufflers...:burnout:

No, the current plan is to run 3" tail pipes out the back with turn downs at the bumper. If we can make it fit. :banghead:

Ok,it could save you some trouble if it gets to tight betwen tank and springs and still be finnished with turnduwns at the bumper,think of it as a hybrid betwen a camaro/nova and a chevelle tailpipe,might work with some good fresh leafsprings,just something i have thought about for a long time but never got around to actualy try.:D

-
Back