Predator Carbanator

-
Back in the late 70's early 80's I use to race trucks. Sand drags and mud drags. I good friend/competitor of mine use to run a predator carb back then on a 468 Chevy. All I can remember is him having nothing but trouble with it. But they were first out back then. I'm sure they have improved.

My brother had one because it essentially was a 900 cfm carb, but it only put out the cfm you needed. It was supposed to adjust itself based on your demand. He had problems with it, I believe. I know he doesn't have it anymore, and he would if it worked well.

If you decide to get one, make sure it has an idle circuit. Not all of them do. I knew a guy who had a Chevette mud bogger with a 454, tunnel ram and two Predators years ago. It was a sum 2 second mud bogger. His didn't have the idle circuits, but it ran like a sumbitch.

If you decide to get one, make sure it has an idle circuit. Not all of them do. I knew a guy who had a Chevette mud bogger with a 454, tunnel ram and two Predators years ago. It was a sum 2 second mud bogger. His didn't have the idle circuits, but it ran like a sumbitch.

No plans on getting one, I was just curious. No idle circuit??? Interesting...

Yes. The race only ones don't have an idle circuit.

I had one about 15 years ago, it didn't work too bad. It was more of an experiment than anything. I only left it on for maybe a day, it did use quite a bit of gas. Oh, and it was on a mild cammed ([email protected]) 360, stock 340 intake with a spacer, and headers.

I had one about 15 years ago, it didn't work too bad. It was more of an experiment than anything. I only left it on for maybe a day, it did use quite a bit of gas. Oh, and it was on a mild cammed ([email protected]) 360, stock 340 intake with a spacer, and headers.

saw a few back in the day, the cars never impressed me. course, back then if u didn`t have a HEMI , u weren`t squat!:coffee2:

I have a brand new (yes, it's brand new) one in my garage with a really nice K&N air filter setup on it. Ended up with it after some horsetrading on some Dodge truck parts. Looks pretty simple to me!

i have spoken to several people that used them back in the day and there seems to be two camps,those who love the performance and those who just plain hate them

It looks like it might not fit if you have an air-gap style intake. Crazy looking carb.

sizeimage.php

Seen a few run(usually way too rich). Always,without a hood,in the day.

I've got one. There great in a straight line, no good in the S's. If you plan on streeting it, gotta have the idle circuit..it's like an idle compensator in reverse. they are ment to be ran full throttle. The cfm's start at 390 and tops off at around 960, or around there. Most guys I knew only stopped running them due to there bracket outlawed them. I still know guys running them and won't give them up.

-
Back