Prepping an Engine for Paint

-

fzmax

Reaction score
Other than the standard degreaser what should you clean an engine with before painting so it will last? Do you use any primer, wax and grease remover? Any other tips? This car gets driven at least 5K a year and I'd like it to last awhile. Thanks

I have been told to use a self etching primer and to avoid painting machined areas. I cannot remember the name of the paint but it is high heat resistant.. so no help there.. what color are you thinking on?

I used gasoline to degrease, wire-brushed & sanded away surface rust & loose paint, painted with Rustoleum "Engine Paint" w/ their primer first. I did this with the block in the car, but the intake and all covers off (valve, timing, oil pan). I painted the covers separately.

Other than the standard degreaser what should you clean an engine with before painting so it will last? Do you use any primer, wax and grease remover? Any other tips? This car gets driven at least 5K a year and I'd like it to last awhile. Thanks

CLEAN, CLEAN & CLEAN. Depends on your budget and shop. Contact clearner, MEK or thinners are great but, it has to be clean everwhere. I've never primmed and used Mopar engine paint right out ofthe can. Again CLEAN. Warming the engine up with heat really helps chase out the moisture in the cast. Lots of heat if you can.

I use lacquer thinner in a spray gun before paint then take my heat gun and worm everything up good ( gets the dampness out) and sometimes heat the paint can.and most of the time I put 2 or 3 coats of clear on it..and wen I use mopar orange I put two coats of Allis chamers orange on first or sometimes just use the Allis chamers orange its hard to tell them apart......Artie

I use alcohal ( wood grain). Its cheap and will dry without any residue.
Por 15 makes a great engine paint Hi temp very durable.

-
Back