preserving new vehicle?

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
What insight do you have to keep the sheet metal on a new vehicle from getting eaten by the rust moths? It "seems" that where I sprayed a previous truck with graphite spray because the locks would freeze at 31 degrees, that door and tail gate were fine. The passenger door, which I didn't use often...it's has issues. Not flapping in the breeze but you don't want to run your hand along the edge. The outer skin on the bed, no problem. Anytime it was above freezing for any period of time, I'd get the hose out and blast the snow and salt clumps away. The bed itself is unsafe to step in without putting a liner in of some sort. ( I cut one down from a different truck just so I could haul stuff w/o it falling thru ). Any sprays? Aftermarket undercoatings? Old engine oil? What is your favorite method? Thanks!

I use Krown on all of my vehicles. Unfortunately it's an annual thing at $149 (cdn). But my daily driver is a 1999 Camry with no rust and a 2007 1500 Ram with no rust. My next project is my dad's 1987 Ram 150 that he bought new. That truck has seen everything Canadian winters can throw at it.......It has a couple of pin holes in the driver side floor pan. It too was treated.

I had a 94 Dakota, that I bought in 96 with 10,000 miles.
Every time I changed the oil, I popped the door panels loose, and poured oil in the bottom of the doors, took the tail-lights out and sprayed as much as I could back thru the bed. If there was any oil left, I took the bed liner out and put the rest onto of the bed.
It was driven year round, when I sold it to my neighbor, it had then about 120,000 miles and was rust-free.
His son drove it for several more years, then I seen it running around town for many more years, it was still showing no sign of rust.

I should have kept that truck 6 cyl magnum, 5-speed, 3.55 gear sure-grip, standard cab, shortbox.

The only thing I did beside maintence was one water pump, it was just weeping slightly, and a fuel pump, that would not pump good under 1/4 tank of fuel. Never left me walking.

I had a 94 Dakota, that I bought in 96 with 10,000 miles.
Every time I changed the oil, I popped the door panels loose, and poured oil in the bottom of the doors, took the tail-lights out and sprayed as much as I could back thru the bed. If there was any oil left, I took the bed liner out and put the rest onto of the bed.
It was driven year round, when I sold it to my neighbor, it had then about 120,000 miles and was rust-free.
His son drove it for several more years, then I seen it running around town for many more years, it was still showing no sign of rust.

I should have kept that truck 6 cyl magnum, 5-speed, 3.55 gear sure-grip, standard cab, shortbox.

The only thing I did beside maintence was one water pump, it was just weeping slightly, and a fuel pump, that would not pump good under 1/4 tank of fuel. Never left me walking.
when visiting friends in Wisconsin ages ago, I saw a big bumper 4 door Nova on jackstands. it was the guys winter vehicle, dents but no visible rust. all summer long, whenever he changed oil, he would dump the old oil in the doors and trunk turn downs. good thing he had a gravel driveway and the EPA didn't catch wind of it.

when visiting friends in Wisconsin ages ago, I saw a big bumper 4 door Nova on jackstands. it was the guys winter vehicle, dents but no visible rust. all summer long, whenever he changed oil, he would dump the old oil in the doors and trunk turn downs. good thing he had a gravel driveway and the EPA didn't catch wind of it.
Learned the trick from my dad, he had a 66 plymouth fury he bought new, it hauled all us kids home from the hospital, it was his daily drive for 25 years, until mom made him get rid of it because it was too ugly. I even drove it some in high school.
It was not very rusty, but the roof where my dad would rest his hand, was wore down to the red primer.

-
Back