Pressure to get car done

-

bballfan1

Reaction score
Anyone else have family members wondering if your car will ever be done? My one daughter thinks I just like working on it. And doesn't think I will ever finish! My son says it's embarrassing when people ask him about it, lol. The time and money it takes to do it right is staggering! My wife even said I will probably get in a fight at a show, when someone calls me out about something not original! Anyone else have thee was se comments? Lol

Most people have no idea how long it takes to restore a vehicle. And then there is the money thing.

My 67 Belvedere has been sitting in my garage since my 6 yr old daughter was born. She thinks that it will ever move or do anything. I have too much stuff to tinker with at home. Dustin

All I know is to be Relentlessly In it! Unless they sit.. lol. Money is an issue, but I've ALWAYS worked in the S Florida heat and rain, outside. Ive never HAD a garage. But I've had some cool rides. Heck, if a pro seen me (like the gear lube bath, lol) after a hard-core day of Thrashing?.... they'd get a chuckle, at the least. HERE'S what I'd do. Compartmentalize what is the hold up. Get EVERYTHING you can do low buck killed. Heavy Duty work? Try and schedule a Bro Gearhead over for some fun and BBQ. High cost parts? Try and do a side job, or be an old fashioned thrifty cat! Or just save. And I'm not sure if you're trying to do a nut n bolt restoration,or build a Clean, reliable, Driver...

My wife never understood why when the car was finished I'd sell it.
Then she said,"You would rather build 'um than have them."
Oh, by the way you will never get away from car show idiots. They always have something to say.
Have fun and do what you want when you want. You don't have to answer to anyone. Even your kids..

I have taken up the manta of David Frieberger "Don't get it right, get it running" or Lucky Costa "Good enough for now". Hoping to get the 340 fired in a week or two on the run stand and get it in the Dart so I can cruise this summer.

Anyone else have family members wondering if your car will ever be done? My one daughter thinks I just like working on it. And doesn't think I will ever finish! My son says it's embarrassing when people ask him about it, lol. The time and money it takes to do it right is staggering! My wife even said I will probably get in a fight at a show, when someone calls me out about something not original! Anyone else have thee was se comments? Lol
Well, your first mistake was starting a family. :poke:

I had an ex wife that didn't think I'd ever get it done.
She is gone, still have the car.
I had a girlfriend, said it is a rich guy hobby.
She is gone, car is done, I'm not rich.

Car #1, apart 16 years, 2 years to restore (simple restoration)
Car #2, 6-1/2 years to restore, mostly waiting for money.
Car #3, 2 years and counting, mostly waiting for others.

The cars get what the cars need, most people I know ask about what new work was done and say I can't wait to see it done.

Alan

It's never done, you will just think it is.
Mine has been done four times since 1979. lol
Street, street strip, race only and now back to nasty street.

Opposite problem... I'm like a dog with a bone when I get on my projects...
Every time I say at three or four year project my wife laughs at me my friends laugh at me and a year and a half later my powder coated frame off restoration is done and I'm driving it...
I will admit that there is always something to do and they're never seemingly really done...

Opposite problem... I'm like a dog with a bone when I get on my projects...
Every time I say at three or four year project my wife laughs at me my friends laugh at me and a year and a half later my powder coated frame off restoration is done and I'm driving it...
I will admit that there is always something to do and they're never seemingly really done...
You are the gitter done guy for sure.
I don't know how you can get bored with your Duster though. You must be turning into an Aristocrat.
I like your Firebird, should be a fun car.

You are the gitter done guy for sure.
I don't know how you can get bored with your Duster though. You must be turning into an Aristocrat.
I like your Firebird, should be a fun car.
Simply just not enough space..
Absolutely love driving the trans am....

my purple dart it’s been a 6 year project of tinkering while still getting to drive it. My new dart I want done on a year… but my wife wants a house… and a new car… and I’m cheap as ****… so it may be a 2 year project. Unfortunately lol.

They are seldom done done , lol

Shortly after our wedding, I told my wife about an old farmer, ordered a mail order wife, picked her up at the train station in a horse and buggy.
On the way home all was quiet, the horse stumbled once, the old farmer yelled "that's once".
Short while later, horse stumbled again, farmer yelled "that's twice", mail order wife sat meekly by.
As they reached the farm, horse stumbled again, when they reached the barn, farmer took his rifle and shot the horse dead . The new wife started crying, asking about the horse, when she stopped, he looked at her and said . . " That's once " !
No drama, - married 50 yrs last Xmas . . lol
Only had to say it a few times, - once for my Dart ! - tell the story .

Last edited:
What... :lol:
superbirdfullpaint6 028.jpg

You can get loupes on Amazon for around the same price and you can get lights for the loupes for 20-50 dollars as well.

8 years to get my hardtop done. Didn't take money from my paycheck. Side hustle side jobs and fixed and sold snowblowers and lawnmowers.
2 years to go through my Ragtop. Sold my Harley for funds :( and my truck.
1681384860352.jpeg

Last but not least is,,, They (The car) wait quietly,never complain,no matter how long till you turn the garage lights back on.

-
Back