Pretty sure I shot myself in the foot.

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Oh yeah, this one definitely was undercut from the very beginning. I quoted a buddy $450 to spray his Furd if he covered the materials...

A couple hundred hours later, his cluster $&@! Bronco is finally out the door. Major dent repair, rust repair and respray inside and out, along with installing new body mounts, new body molding, wheel lip trim and a new headliner.

What initially appeared to be a few dents and a little rust snowballed. In the end I fabricated new lower quarters, a new lower tailgate section, straightened a wrinkled passenger door and fender, fixed a roof and hood that had been smacked in by falling tree branches, stripped it to bare metal (because someone had used a grinder to strip it in the past for the previous paint job), I stopped counting after it reached 200 dings dents and wrinkles

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Oh yeah, this one definitely was undercut from the very beginning. I quoted a buddy $450 to spray his Furd if he covered the materials...

A couple hundred hours later, his cluster $&@! Bronco is finally out the door. Major dent repair, rust repair and respray inside and out, along with installing new body mounts, new body molding, wheel lip trim and a new headliner.

What initially appeared to be a few dents and a little rust snowballed. In the end I fabricated new lower quarters, a new lower tailgate section, straightened a wrinkled passenger door and fender, fixed a roof and hood that had been smacked in by falling tree branches, stripped it to bare metal (because someone had used a grinder to strip it in the past for the previous paint job), I stopped counting after it reached 200 dings dents and wrinkles

View attachment 1715040799

View attachment 1715040800

View attachment 1715040801

View attachment 1715040802

View attachment 1715040803

View attachment 1715040804
I sympathize,.... I got torched, on a couple of these jobs.... I don't mind, if they are patient...(How I financed ,my hot rod parts fund...) Did a '68 El Camino rust repair,& paint..(.3500 Y2K dollars...) customer supplied paint. Go by the hour, at this point...if you continue...

I sympathize,.... I got torched, on a couple of these jobs.... I don't mind, if they are patient...(How I financed ,my hot rod parts fund...) Did a '68 El Camino rust repair,& paint..(.3500 Y2K dollars...) customer supplied paint. Go by the hour, at this point...if you continue...

Oh I want to continue, I love painting. This job just turned out to be 1000% more than what he made it out to be. I'm definitely going to figure in some kind of a base fee and an hourly rate thereafter if it goes into more serious repair for any future jobs.

I painted this Camaro for a kid, down and dirty and in a hurry for $250, 3 days before Prom so he could go to prom in style (that's Plum Crazy Purple with 7 different sizes and colors of metal flake).

Despite my suggestions of going black with the T Top frames and Trim, he wanted everything on the car purple (too much purple, nothing to break it up). But it's what he wanted.

My grandfather saw it, and wanted me to spray his low mileage Fiero, and he requested the same kind of Metal Flake effect (I love working with Pearl and Metal Flake). For my grandfather, it was a free job, I couldn't charge him, since I got my first car (73 340 Dart Sport) from him.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Oh I want to continue, I love painting. This job just turned out to be 1000% more than what he made it out to be. I'm definitely going to figure in some kind of a base fee and an hourly rate thereafter if it goes into more serious repair for any future jobs.

I painted this Camaro for a kid, down and dirty and in a hurry for $250, 3 days before Prom so he could go to prom in style (that's Plum Crazy Purple with 7 different sizes and colors of metal flake).

Despite my suggestions of going black with the T Top frames and Trim, he wanted everything on the car purple (too much purple, nothing to break it up). But it's what he wanted.

My grandfather saw it, and wanted me to spray his low mileage Fiero, and he requested the same kind of Metal Flake effect (I love working with Pearl and Metal Flake). For my grandfather, it was a free job, I couldn't charge him, since I got my first car (73 340 Dart Sport) from him.

View attachment 1715040805

View attachment 1715040806
I understand completely, I did the same, from 1988 to 2002... It's a release tool , for your artistic tooth, & a release of pressure and psychological release. It is beautiful, to see a multi flake job, or a well done spray job.. on perfect straight panels..:)

I wish more metallac's , metal flakes, & pearl jobs. , would be painted....(SIGH...)

I wish more metallac's , metal flakes, & pearl jobs. , would be painted....(SIGH...)

Oh I'm bringing back Metal Flake in my area, people just don't realize it yet. I painted my D50 in Orange with subtle metal flake.... Can't see it unless you've got an eye for it.

I'm very old school when it comes to painting. I do all my spraying with a particular set of Siphon Feed Guns that I have set up for particular jobs (I've used HVLP, such as Sata, but they don't give the same quality). I use a Sharpe 71 for Base, a Marki 1 for Base or Clear (if one of my Sharpe guns are down for repairs), a Sharpe 75 for Clear with Metal Flake, a Sharpe 775 for Clear and another Sharpe 75 for Single Stage. I learned to paint with a Sharpe Siphon Feed Model 75, and I still use that same gun to this day for some of my work.

If I can find my airbrushes, I'm gonna get back into that too. I haven't airbrushed in years, but I have the urge to do some wild stuff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So you told him $ 450.00 to spray it...last time I looked dent repair and mechanical repair doesn't fall under Spraying a vehicle. He still owes you for body work and mechanical work in my eyes.

If he is any kind of a buddy he will give u gold compensation for ur extra work. He can't be that stupid to think u did it all out of the goodness of ur heart and believe me he knows he pulled a fast 1 on u. he sure as hell wouldn't be my buddy anymore. Kim Kim

nice job , but squirting it and repairs are two different things in my shop . you should get paid for time spent on the repairs , and his is still on the hook for all the matl's . if he don't he's not your friend , money can show who's who and what their made of .

Going back through the pictures I started to remember some of the other repairs and stuff (such as welding shut the holes for the XLT emblems, at his request).

After stripping the parts off to prep her, I discovered the core support/Cab mount was wasted. I brought it to his attention and his response was "do what you have to to make it good again." So I cut out and fabricated a new Cab mount section for the core support.

The B Pillars were suffering from stress cracks, this one I knew was going to be in the job and he agreed to throw in some extra to fix them. I welded up both B Pillars.

Also replaced the hinge pins on the driver's side door, after bringing it to his attention that the door was sagging and rubbing the rocker and that would destroy the new paint. Again, "Do what needs to be done."

I definitely undercut myself with the $450 quote to spray. Though I think he realized that, because he wants me to figure out what he owes total from start to finish.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Anything that old with Pennsylvania plates, you should have known better. Maybe he will compensate you if he is a fair person.

on the bright side...now i know where to go when im ready to have my duster repainted (and undented, and derusted)

An update. He picked up the Bronco. I got two thumbs up on the paint job, and his son (who's my age) commented "It looks like it did when I was little.", my buddy replied. "Kiddo, it didn't even look this great when you were in diapers." That right there was a huge ego boost, because that Bronco would have been rolling off the Showroom when we (his son and I) were that age.

I got my $450 for spraying, plus a bonus, plus all non-spray related things covered in full. He wasn't joking when he wanted me to figure up a grand total from start to finish and he had no complaints about paying it either.

on the bright side...now i know where to go when im ready to have my duster repainted (and undented, and derusted)

I'd be happy to spray a car for a fellow FABO member. Though as I'm learning, I've gotta figure in more than just the Spray. Cover the paint supplies, and labor/materials cost on repairs and a decent price on spraying. It takes me time, though. I work 2 jobs, 7 days a week. When I was working on the Bronco I'd get up in the morning, go to work, get a shower/changed, go to work, come home and work on the bronco, take a nap, get up and start the day all over again (on average, while the Bronco was here, I was putting in 20 hour days between all 3)

It hasn't ended either... The Camaro is back, the kid locked up the 350 in it and wants me to put a 383 Stroker in it and have it ready for him when he comes home on leave from the military. We're also discussing a possible T56 Swap at the same time.

I have been painting cars for years. I pretty much stopped doing any paint work for other people because they wanted a $5,000 paint job for $500 (or less). No concept of the amount of time and materials just getting a car ready to spray. I do a few things here and there, but we agree on a fair price up front. I always REALLY undercut body shop prices, but I'm not going to wind up making $5 per hour either. The main exception is that I have done painting for my friend Mark who is into Mustangs, and he has a REAL paint booth in his 100 x 30 Morton building. He lets me use the paint booth for free any time I want (that's my Mopar hat on the dash). I have been powder coating for several years now. If I want to earn some extra cash, I go to a cruise night or a car show with a few samples of my work on a card table. I usually get a few jobs from that, and I have a lot of repeat and word of mouth customers.
Mustang 29.JPG

I have been painting cars for years. I pretty much stopped doing any paint work for other people because they wanted a $5,000 paint job for $500 (or less). No concept of the amount of time and materials just getting a car ready to spray. I do a few things here and there, but we agree on a fair price up front. I always REALLY undercut body shop prices, but I'm not going to wind up making $5 per hour either. The main exception is that I have done painting for my friend Mark who is into Mustangs, and he has a REAL paint booth in his 100 x 30 Morton building. He lets me use the paint booth for free any time I want (that's my Mopar hat on the dash). I have been powder coating for several years now. If I want to earn some extra cash, I go to a cruise night or a car show with a few samples of my work on a card table. I usually get a few jobs from that, and I have a lot of repeat and word of mouth customers.View attachment 1715041854

That's a beautiful job on that car.

I have my own prep/assembly booth, a paint booth (pressurized) with Fresh Air Supplied Respirators. The Paint booth has 8 drops on air lines (all 4 corners, plus 2 on the sides and 2 at the front/rear, with soft cloth lines), an Air Drier, Water Separators, Oil Separators, Filters, and each gun also has a regulator and filter. It also has the capability to bake a paint job.

Edit :

You make a great point on people wanting a high dollar "frame off" for $500 though. I've heard people complain because I was "Too high priced" (like an F150 Flareside that needed major fiberglass repair on the fiberglass bedside before I would even spray it)

I think everyone that complains should have to pick up a paint gun and swing that monster for hours (A paint gun doesn't weigh alot, but when you're doing base coat in Two Tone and Clear Coat, that gun gets mighty heavy toward the end, especially a vintage Sharpe which is 100% Aluminum, weighs about 7 pounds empty and holds half a gallon in the can), after learning the ins and outs of body work. They all think "Oh, you can paint it in an hour, you're rich because of it."

I wish it took an hour to get one in and out the door. Not to forget, the rebuild kits for my Sharpe guns are getting harder to find and cost about $40-50 a piece, it takes supplies to mask off a vehicle (triple that when you're doing 2 tone and painting a top as well), clean the guns, replacement filters, etc and that's just if the person covers the paint and such.

I took my buddy into the paint booth, and pointed out some of the features (the fresh air respirators, filters, pressurized system, etc) and then I pointed to the shelf that holds all of my Sharpe, Devilbiss, Sata, Marki 1, etc guns and airbrushes. "Right there, is $10,000 worth of paint guns and airbrushes." His response was "I guess that's why paint jobs aren't usually cheap."

10k may sound like a lot, but you have to figure, even today (you can still buy Sharpe guns like I prefer to use) a Sharpe 775 is about $300-400 by itself, you can't get the 71's and 75's anymore (though they share a lot of parts, so it makes it nice when it comes time to fix one). The Sata's are higher than that, even though I don't use them often.

I also painted my vintage Yamaha. I combined a bunch of leftover Reds that were sitting on the shelf from various jobs, to get enough to spray the bike, and I ended up with a paint that would color-shift depending on temperature and light. (That's going to be a nightmare to replicate if I have to repair a dent or scratch) I sprayed the Yamaha parts on a day off (after spending a week prepping the bike and popping dents), and it was in nice condition.

Last edited:
I'd be happy to spray a car for a fellow FABO member. Though as I'm learning, I've gotta figure in more than just the Spray. Cover the paint supplies, and labor/materials cost on repairs and a decent price on spraying. It takes me time, though. I work 2 jobs, 7 days a week. When I was working on the Bronco I'd get up in the morning, go to work, get a shower/changed, go to work, come home and work on the bronco, take a nap, get up and start the day all over again (on average, while the Bronco was here, I was putting in 20 hour days between all 3)

It hasn't ended either... The Camaro is back, the kid locked up the 350 in it and wants me to put a 383 Stroker in it and have it ready for him when he comes home on leave from the military. We're also discussing a possible T56 Swap at the same time.

truth be told, when time comes to repaint the duster, i think i will probably go with someone a little less then 600 miles away

plus...i kinda like the imperfections on it, reminds me its a car, not a trophy, and i dont mind parking near the door at wallyworld

truth be told, when time comes to repaint the duster, i think i will probably go with someone a little less then 600 miles away

plus...i kinda like the imperfections on it, reminds me its a car, not a trophy, and i dont mind parking near the door at wallyworld

that's the way i am too lol

when i go to camp i put wood in the trunk and i drive it down dirt roads with fishing poles hanging out the window plus if you wanna sit your beer on the hood that's perfectly fine as well.

-
Back